Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft may bring back full start menu with 8.2

  1. #111


    Well I have Windows 8.1 currently. And I think the Start Button is handy. If you guys don't know you can right click it to access more instead of searching. That's another thing, the searching isn't as good as it was. I hate going into my C: Drive to pick the programs I want to run . 3rd, why should we have to install "third-party theme patchers" to be able to customize our PC? Why can't they just integrate it by default? And the deal with POP3, why not add it to the Mail tile program instead of just having it right there instead of downloading things off the internet, making you open to security risks?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #112


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Last November, I helped someone buy a new Windows 8 laptop with no touch screen.

    I could say, they would have been far more lost with that machine if I had not installed Classic Shell in it, particularly in the way you search for files, folder and programs (never mind the search on the Charms bar because they didn't know how to use it). I had to configure it for them.

    As I was toying with it (using the laptop's own touchpad that is more difficult for me to control than a mouse), I was annoyed by how the Start Screen keep popping up and because of the fact that the default picture viewer was a Metro app and so is the default music player. One of the laptop's users yesterday sent me a text message, asking how to get rid of "the thing that pops up on the Desktop when you slide your mouse at the corner" (Charms bar and its hot corners).

    Just imagine countless non-techy users, getting their new Windows 8 machines, having to deal with those issues that hinder productivity because of this mobile OS on a desktop/laptop. I know several people would agree, why put a mobile UI and apps on a desktop/laptop when you have your phone for that?

    MS should bring it back and every new OEM that ships after 8.2 official release should have 8.2.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #113


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I've turned the edge swipes off on my laptop. I think most people like me, just slide their finger/hand over until they make contact with the touch pad. That causes an edge swipe and if your right handed, brings up the charms bar. If I really do want access to the charms bar I just use the hot corner instead.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #114


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Yea, I bought a laptop with 8 on it last summer... just put classic shell on it the day it arrived and was done with it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #115


    Quote Originally Posted by OptimalVorteX View Post
    Well I have Windows 8.1 currently. And I think the Start Button is handy. If you guys don't know you can right click it to access more instead of searching. That's another thing, the searching isn't as good as it was. I hate going into my C: Drive to pick the programs I want to run . 3rd, why should we have to install "third-party theme patchers" to be able to customize our PC? Why can't they just integrate it by default? And the deal with POP3, why not add it to the Mail tile program instead of just having it right there instead of downloading things off the internet, making you open to security risks?

    Create Toolbars and you may not press that new start button as often.
    1. Copy one of the lines below
    2. Right click your task bar
    3. Select Toolbars > New
    4. Click on Select Folder button


    %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

    If you want a Toolbar for your most favorite or frequently used programs.
    1. Create a new personal folder in your desktop folder & name it whatever you like
    2. Put shortcuts to your favorite or frequent programs into it
    3. Select Toolbars > New
    4. Navigate to your Desktop & select your personal folder
    5. Click on Select Folder button


    Hopefully this may help you. Credit for these go to other members.
    (Task bar on left side of screen stacks toolbars and taskbar icons like a filing cabinet. Plus more height and a bottomless look on monitor).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (40).png   Screenshot (39).png  
    Last edited by pcRat; 06 Jan 2014 at 10:44. Reason: Left a step out
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #116


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    [

    Create Toolbars and you may not press that new start button as often.
    Or, install Classic Shell....and THEN, upin everything and return the taskbar to the XP style, and you have the damn near perfect system. And yes, you are creating the 'quick launch' task bar, complete with 'show desktop' right beside the start button, right where it belongs.

    As you can likely tell, I'm from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #117


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Now my question is partly an observation.

    It seems that instead of LEARNING and TEACHING the new UI, everyone by default reverts to classic shell or something similar. You know, once you get a handle of the new part it's actually quite nice. Set up whatever default programs you want and put some start menu classic like File Explorer locations on the Start Screen. You don't need to use the Search Charm to search, you just type.

    Microsoft's problem may not be the UI itself that's all of the problem, it's the uptake in people learning it. And when it comes to Windows, learning anything new is next to sin while sleeping with the devil himself.

    But yeah, some laptop touchpads SUCK for Windows 8 (looking at you Toshiba). The only touchpad I've recently come across that was amazing were a few ASUS laptops and the samsung 7 series ultrabook. That one has SO many gestures, up to four fingers! There is even on where using to fingers to tap on something opens the right click context menu. It was pretty neat, and very decently sized.
    Yet again, people need to learn that....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #118


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    As you can likely tell, I'm from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd....
    I'm from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd...." myself. That's why I never installed Classic Shell or other 3rd party start button programs.

    Personal preferences don't mean "I'm right and you're wrong." or "You're right and I'm wrong."



    8 is a good program. I'm in agreement with those who say MS should have given us option of switching between old style & new style.

    To get the results they anticipated. I think MS should have made it switchable but default to Desktop mode when installed on a desktop pc. Then start a rumor on the internet about it shouldn't have installed on desktops and about how to switch between Desktop & Metro version by pressing Winkey+?
    Everybody would try it, some complaints but nobody really upset with MS because it would be like they're getting one over MS.
    Instead of all the complaints, people would have shared more tweaks and discoveries.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #119


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Now my question is partly an observation.

    It seems that instead of LEARNING and TEACHING the new UI, everyone by default reverts to classic shell or something similar. You know, once you get a handle of the new part it's actually quite nice. Set up whatever default programs you want and put some start menu classic like File Explorer locations on the Start Screen. You don't need to use the Search Charm to search, you just type.

    Microsoft's problem may not be the UI itself that's all of the problem, it's the uptake in people learning it. And when it comes to Windows, learning anything new is next to sin while sleeping with the devil himself.

    But yeah, some laptop touchpads SUCK for Windows 8 (looking at you Toshiba). The only touchpad I've recently come across that was amazing were a few ASUS laptops and the samsung 7 series ultrabook. That one has SO many gestures, up to four fingers! There is even on where using to fingers to tap on something opens the right click context menu. It was pretty neat, and very decently sized.
    Yet again, people need to learn that....
    Your last line says it all.
    Majority of people who buy computers don't read the documentation. Especially now that there is no hard copy shipped with it. They don't look on Start screen or navigate to a folder with the manufacturers name on it and look for the PDF telling them to make backup discs before downloading anything and again after windows updates then periodic backups thereafter. They don't read about the available mouse gestures.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #120


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Now my question is partly an observation.

    It seems that instead of LEARNING and TEACHING the new UI, everyone by default reverts to classic shell or something similar. You know, once you get a handle of the new part it's actually quite nice. Set up whatever default programs you want and put some start menu classic like File Explorer locations on the Start Screen. You don't need to use the Search Charm to search, you just type.

    Well, your observation pre-supposes that people are not smart enough to know the difference between something that is good and decent, and something that is a festering turd, in their opinion, of course. You simply have to stop blaming the customers for not wanting this turkey. If it was truly a better system, everybody would have flocked to it, even if it was completely different.

    The simple fact is, metro was not rejected because it was different... it was rejected because it was lousy... at least in the opinion of very very many customers, or, more precisely would be customers.

    And please try to understand, no amount of spin or double speak will change that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Microsoft may bring back full start menu with 8.2
Related Threads
Hi there. Reading through all the slivers of information trickling out about Threshold it definitely seems that the Charms (whoever thought of that stupid name -- like "Monetisation" - another hideous word !) feature is GONE. Now without a charms feature on the current Windows 8.1 you have a...
Read more at: Microsoft is bringing the Start Menu back | The Verge
Bill Gates says he will never come back to Microsoft full time - Neowin
Hi! I was wondering if the Start button will ever return to Windows 8?
Where do people come up with these weird ideas? https://wun.codeplex.com/
From an unlikely source... Stardock.Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu
Windows 8 app to bring back Start menu on desktop - Neowin.net
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook