Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8/8.1 market share - Oct. 2013

  1. #1


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    In another word, Windows 8.x gained 9.25% market share within a year. Close to the same percentage that the MAC and Linux market share has combined, 9.34%. The gain by Windows 8.x within a year may not be keeping pace with XP and/or Windows 7 gains in their respective first year, but does it really matter? It's not like it has to compete with a non-Microsoft OS, that's easy to use, runs all the popular programs, and rapidly gaining market share...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    This thread should probably be merged with "Windows 8.1 gains traction among desktop OS users".
    Windows 8.1 gains traction among desktop OS users

    Quote Originally Posted by Cr00zng View Post
    In another word, Windows 8.x gained 9.25% market share within a year. Close to the same percentage that the MAC and Linux market share has combined, 9.34%. The gain by Windows 8.x within a year may not be keeping pace with XP and/or Windows 7 gains in their respective first year, but does it really matter? It's not like it has to compete with a non-Microsoft OS, that's easy to use, runs all the popular programs, and rapidly gaining market share...
    It matters to MS, who, for some idiotic reason, believed that W8 would smash Android, iOS and all of the old versions of Windows.

    Their dream of skimming 30% off of the top of all software sales has been a dismal failure (so far).
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 26 Nov 2013 at 20:21. Reason: Quote Added
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I think these numbers show that the big guys (corporate users) do not move to 8. What is also interesting is that Windows 7 is currently gaining market share. That's where the XP and Vista users apparently go.

    Btw, I wonder what those 4.55% 'Other' are. Those must be the older Windows versions?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    This thread should probably be merged with "Windows 8.1 gains traction among desktop OS users".
    Windows 8.1 gains traction among desktop OS users
    Yes, it is about desktop market share and so was my reply...

    It matters to MS, who, for some idiotic reason, believed that W8 would smash Android, iOS and all of the old versions of Windows.

    Their dream of skimming 30% off of the top of all software sales has been a dismal failure (so far).
    "So far" being the the operative words for smartphones and tablets... Betting against Microsoft may prove to be futile proposition on the long run. This is the company that beat out IBM from the desktop market. The history of IBM vs. Microsoft described here in pretty good details, quote:

    Today, many people have observed that Microsoft is the new dominant force in legacy computing, with legacy redefined as a personal computer running Windows. The new disruptive force is smartphones and tablets, an area in which Apple and Google have become the new dominant forces. Microsoft, to its credit, responded as quickly as it was able to meet this new disruption. The company even re-designed its legacy user interface (the Windows desktop) to be more suited to tablets.

    It could be argued that Microsoft was slow to act, just as IBM was. It could also be argued that Windows Phone and Surface tablets have failed to capture market share against iOS and Android in the same way that OS/2 failed to beat back Windows. However, there is one difference that separates Microsoft from most legacy companies: the company doesn’t give up. IBM threw in the towel on OS/2 and then on PCs in general. Microsoft is willing to spend as many billions as it takes in order to claw its way back to a position of power in the new mobile landscape. Microsoft still might not succeed, but for now at least, it's going to keep trying.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    The IBM story is simple - there was just not enough profit margin in the PC business to dedicate a lot of resources to it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I think these numbers show that the big guys (corporate users) do not move to 8. What is also interesting is that Windows 7 is currently gaining market share. That's where the XP and Vista users apparently go.
    The corporate world is never eager to migrate to the latest OS version. If it's upto them, they'd stay with XP forever... I've just completed a consulting gig for an international finance company couple of month ego that still using XP on the desktop...

    Btw, I wonder what those 4.55% 'Other' are. Those must be the older Windows versions?
    I was wondering about the same. FreeBSD and Solaris may explain some of the 4.55%, but each must be under the percentage of Linux market share. Otherwise, they would've listed them separately...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    The IBM story is simple - there was just not enough profit margin in the PC business to dedicate a lot of resources to it.
    My take from the story was different...

    The reason OS/2 didn't succeed was the lack of applications. Most OS/2 users were running Windows on top of OS/2 just to run the Windows applications. While Windows was included with OS/2, funky licensing with Microsoft, the applications for the Windows platform was plentiful and relatively cheap, when compared to the applications for the OS/2. It didn't take long for people to realize, that they don't need IBM hardware when the IBM-compatible PCs could run Windows and its applications faster and cheaper than OS/2 could.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    You are reading too much into it. Believe me, I was in the middle of it at the time. It was merely a $$$ decision.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    You are reading too much into it. Believe me, I was in the middle of it at the time. It was merely a $$$ decision.
    I'll take your word for it, whs...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8/8.1 market share - Oct. 2013
Related Threads
http://i57.tinypic.com/negnjb.jpg Source A Guy
XP Market Share Climbs Again in Windows 8 News
Windows XP market share climbs again as customers dig their heels in- The Inquirer "Last month, the 12-year old operating system accounted for 29.53 percent of the market, up 0.23 percent from January. On one hand, it's up only a fraction of a percent, but on the other Microsoft, which has been...
I'm not affiliated with this organization in any way, I just found this interesting... Antivirus Market Analysis: August 2013 | OPSWAT | Software management and security solutions
Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5% | Computerworld Blogs A rare find some good news on Windows 8.
Five months in: Windows 8′s market share finally surpasses desktop Linux | ExtremeTech
Read more at source: Windows 8 market share jumped in December | ZDNet
5871 Source: Chitika
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook