Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

  1. #121


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    What point are you making with the video. I don't get it. Sorry, I am a little slow.
    It's new. It's what's new. Not stuck in the past.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #122


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    OK, understand. Nice for tablets but a Pita on a desktop with a mouse.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #123


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    OK, understand. Nice for tablets but a Pita on a desktop with a mouse.
    It's your view. Not fact. A declarative statement that is unsupportable. My view, not a pita on a desktop.
    I don't want a tablet. You are a fan of Mint. I loathe Mint. I find UNIX systems cumbersome and a bore.
    I think Windows 7 is an aging dinosaur. I wouldn't use it or any flavor of UNIX.

    I'm not saying its not a pita for you, I am sure it is.
    I don't use stuff that is a pita.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #124


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I'm not saying its not a pita for you, I am sure it is.
    Thanks for letting me have my own PITA.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #125


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    This whole Windows 8 issue is not about the new UI or one tile more or less. It is about the direction that M$ is driving the market and the future implicatio on your pocket book.
    Hi there.

    Markets go where THEY want to go -- businesses can push and strive to nudge (or even co-erce) them into directions they THINK the market OUGHT or WANT it to go but it doesn't happen -- Markets are fickle unpredictable institutions that do what THEY want to do.

    Anybody who even slightly thinks OTHERWISE should certainly stay away from any sort of Stock trading or any other sort of trading --and you can see the past is littered with a whole slew of products that logically had a possibly great future but just never made it whereas a load of inferior products did for example the whole VHS vs BETAMAX thing in the days of Videotape, or Minidisc vs Cassette tape or even CD. SACD also hardly got passed the drawing board but fairly poor quality music via Ipods etc ruled the roost.
    Blu Ray Discs also are living on borrowed time as Internet downloads at decent video quality become increasingly more available.

    If the market doesn't like windows 8..1 or future releases it won't succeed - if the market likes it it will. This isn't really about innovation per se but whether Ms can continue to make money in what is essentially a mature and stable - possibly even a decreasing market.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #126


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    You're saying you like it?.... Sure, you can vote!...I want to hear this...
    If there is nothing here that is of interest, then you might as well use Windows 7, Linux or Apple.

    No, because under the hood (gui) 8.1 is better, imo...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #127


    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    You're saying you like it?.... Sure, you can vote!...I want to hear this...
    If there is nothing here that is of interest, then you might as well use Windows 7, Linux or Apple.

    No, because under the hood (gui) 8.1 is better, imo...
    And so is engine and chassis.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #128


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    "Incompatible" has nothing to do with viruses and BSOD's.... "Incompatible" in that touch screen user interfaces don't belong on non touch-screen devices, and vice-versa.
    A declarative statement that is unsupportable.
    I like getting into the spirit of what's new and coming in 8.2

    Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only
    Come on, what has that thread to do with me?...you are deliberately being obtuse, and you know exactly what I mean. I guess you're one of those folks who feels it a mission in life to prove to other people why their declarative statements aren't true... I wish you luck in your endeavors! (I frequently make declarative statements that are expression of my opinions....and nothing else, btw... ) I like strong opinions, especially when they are as easily justifiable as mine in this instance.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #129


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    ... But Microsoft has done its bloody best since 8.0 shipped to obfuscate that fact and hide it from as many people as possible.
    How do you know it was their intent to obfuscate and hide it?

    I am looking forward to the changes in 8.2+ with further enhancements.

    How do I know...? Maybe, because as I've said, they advertise the RT ui approximately 700% more than the explorer.exe ui for Win8? In one 8.1 product advertisement page I saw recently, a total of eight monitor screens were imaged, one after the other, in serial fashion, from the top of the page to the bottom. The first seven screenshots of 8.1 featured touchscreens and the RT ui; the last image at the bottom featured a *gasp* computer with a real mouse and keyboard and a nice big monitor--showing--those ugly tiles again, of course...

    And you ask, "How do you know?..." Psshawwww.... (open your eyes, look around!)

    Instead of asking me silly questions--why not dig up a link in which you can point me toward a Microsoft ad for Win 8 that shows a desktop festooned with shortcuts instead of tiles, and quotes a Microsoft employee explaining to the world at at large that all of those colorful tiles are "optional" with Win8. I'll await your link with interest. I've yet to see a single ad of that description--which is why it's plain to me that although the garish tiles are optional in truth, people won't be discovering that information from a Microsoft source, unfortunately. It'll come from their own experience, or from other users' comments on the subject. In a perfect world, Microsoft should be advertising *both* ui characteristics for Win8--it'd help their sales tremendously. Alas, such is not the case.

    As far this 8.2 rumor is concerned--I'll believe it when I see it....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #130


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    why would I want to waste my time doing that when I can download the Classic Shell Start Menu (4.0.2) for free. The way I see it, he's doing my work, your work, and much, much more, for his own reasons and I'm reaping the benefit. You should check it out. 4.0.2. It's terrific--and goes beyond Microsoft and provides toggles to turn the desktop hotspots on & off and even the side-bar charms, if you want...
    I think the Classic Shell is a bore. Spending money on customizing my OS is fun.
    People customize their cars, don't they? Why do so many think it should be free?
    If you don't see any tiles, why not just use Windows 7

    I already answered your last question: I prefer 8.1 because under the hood 8.1 is simply better than Win7. Under the hood = underneath that awful tile-based ui. Again, if you have a touchscreen--the tiles are fine--great even, because they are designed for touch-screens, pudgy fingertips, relatively small screens, low information, big fonts, etc. If you don't own or want a touchscreen, like me--the tiles just get in the way. That's it.

    About Classic Shell....*golf-clap*.... Ah, I have finally gotten an opinion out of you...! Great! How can I disagree with your opinion? It's your opinion, but not mine, obviously. You don't like Classic Shell and want to spend money buying inferior software--be my guest! It's a free country...

    Look, I think we've both carried all this a bit too far, don't you? It doesn't bother me at all if you don't share my opinions, because I might not share yours. That's nature of opinions as the old saying goes--like armpits, every one of us has at least one...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming
Related Threads
Emphasis is mine Source
I'm starting to get the sense that Windows 8/8.1 is a sort of Windows Vista only with a lot less programming issues. It's certainly a faster, more stable OS than Vista but it reminds me of Vista because it's in between a sharp, very well done OS(Windows 7) and something that's coming up in the near...
BBM coming to Windows Phone in Windows 8 News
Read more at: BBM coming to Windows Phone | The Verge
Windows 8.1 Coming in June in Windows 8 News
Read more at source: Windows 8.1 Coming in June - IGN
Windows 8 Upgrade FAQ coming in Installation & Setup
Just saw a remark by Brandon LeBlanc on his MS Blog. 9581 Don't know why they don't do it now. Jim :cool:
CES 2012, BlueStacks (known for Andoid App Player) announced that they are coming into Windows 8. Which means, they are going to bring 400,000+ Andoid Apps into Windows 8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKAOkpX7Q2E
Windows 8..... coming soon in Windows 8 News
Read this and feel your heart starting to race at the though of alpha, beta etc.etc. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/7212878/Windows-8---coming-soon.html
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook