Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Now ready for you: Windows 8.1 and the Windows Store

  1. #1


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10

    Now ready for you: Windows 8.1 and the Windows Store


    With today’s announcement of Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2013 availability, we’re also excited to announce that the Windows Store is now open for submitting apps targeting Windows 8.1.


    Publishing your apps to the Windows Store for Windows 8.1

    For those of you who started working on your app with our Preview versions, you’ll first need to update your Preview environment to today’s release versions of Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2013. Packages built on prerelease versions won’t be accepted into the Store. For apps written in HTML/JavaScript, check out our recent blog post with more specifics to help you target the release build of Windows 8.1.

    If you already have an app in the Store for Windows 8 users, you’ll want to check out our info on retargeting your app. You can import your existing project into Visual Studio and make changes as needed to take advantage of the new features in Windows 8.1. After you’ve finished building, it’s easy to add your Windows 8.1 packages to your current app so that customers who’ve upgraded to Windows 8.1 see the latest version of your app. (Of course, you can also continue to update your Windows 8 apps as needed.)

    For those new to the platform, take a look around the Windows Dev Center for all the resources you need to get started. You can learn what Windows Store apps are all about and get up to speed on the basics of app development. We even have content that’s specifically written to help you ramp up quickly if you’re already familiar with building apps for iOS or building apps for Android.


    Recapping Windows 8.1 platform improvements

    We started talking about many of the Windows 8.1 platform features back in late June at our Build conference. Here are just a few of the new platform features and benefits that will help you build better apps and drive deeper engagement with your customers.

    • Overall platform performance improvements to our supported programming languages (C#, C++, JavaScript, or VB) and presentation technologies (XAML, HTML, or DirectX)
    • Improvements to the XAML and HTML controls, and new Hub and WebView controls
    • Tiles on the Start screen now support two additional sizes, bringing the total up to four
    • More powerful multitasking capabilities, with more than two apps onscreen at the same time; a single app can also use multiple windows
    • Improvements to DirectX, as you may have read about earlier this week


    We’ve also made improvements to the Windows Store to better connect your apps with customers and drive greater monetization.

    • All new Store layout providing better discovery and richer experience
    • Integration of Bing technologies to make recommendations more relevant
    • App packages can now be up to 8 gigabytes (great for visually rich apps and games)
    • App bundles optimize the distribution of Windows Store app resource packages to global customers
    • Windows Store support for in-app consumables and larger catalogs on in-app offers
    • Windows Store gift cards will launch this holiday to support purchases without credit cards
    • Windows Store apps now auto-update by default, so your customers will always be on the latest and greatest version of your app


    As always, we have great free tools for you to work with. The new Visual Studio 2013 Express brings many new benefits to developing Windows Store apps, like improved UI test support, responsiveness testing, improved IntelliSense, new design capabilities including better support for CSS and JavaScript, as well as connecting to our free cloud offerings like Azure Mobile Services.

    Windows 8.1 offers developers far more new functionality and opportunities than can be summed up in this blog post. We have lots more information on our Windows Dev Center and in our Windows 8.1 Product Guide for App Builders. We also have some great videos you can watch, like this interview with Joe Stegman, Group Program Manager for the UI platform.

    As your customers start installing their free update to Windows 8.1, there’s no better time to update your app. We hope you’re as excited as we are about Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2013. Download the tools today and have fun building!

    More...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Pembrokeshire, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 653
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/ Windows 8.1 64 bit


    Shawn do you know what will happen if the download is interrupted by a shut down ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Joan,

    You should be able to go back to the Store and start over with the download of the update without issue. If you're lucky, it may pick up where you left off.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4



    I am Woman! Hear Me Roar!
    NJ
    Posts : 1,116
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3


    i am not all thrilled with 8.1, i still would have liked a real start menu but i installed startisback for 8.1 since i own it
    And if you do not have a touch screen like I do on all my pcs except for my tablet, you do not really appreciated the changes.
    btw for those who have startisback you need to uninstall the version you have for windows 8, and pick up the version for 8.1. It will keep the liscense info so you do not have to install it again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 34
    Windows 8.1 PRO with Media Centre Upgrade x64


    Upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre was slow, but eventually completed OK. I'd left it downloading overnight, and when I came back to the computer, it complained that it was unable to complete. I went back into the store and restarted the process - it picked up from where it had stopped.
    I use Vipre Internet Security 2014 - their firewall was disabled after installing W8.1 Pro. They responded very quickly with advice to un-install Vipre, including all Vipre data files (an option on the uninstall window), restart, download and install a new version of Vipre. All happy now.
    I downloaded the new version of Vipre (really a downloader) prior to un-installing the old.
    No other issues have shown up yet. Office 2013 hasn't asked for re-activation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Seattle of course
    Posts : 14
    Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows 8.1


    Just for information, I started the download about three hours ago and so far, have only received 28% of the download. Probably due to millions of people doing the same thing? Something else? My internet is not particularly slow and I have never experienced this to this degree before. Making me wish I had waited a couple of days. Anyone else experiencing similar results?

    Seattlerust
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 69
    Windows 7 uiltimate, Windows 8.1 pro 64bit, Windows server 2008R2, Windows 10 TP


    Did Windows store upgrade (more like downgrade) on test laptop from windows 8 pro to windows 8.1pro.. update went OK, it was quite fast.
    But I'm disappointed Windows 8.1 is not better if you're desktop user. It's only worse.
    Things I don't like.
    • You are forced to login with MS account when upgrading. (of course later you can convert to offline/local account, but I did not find option when upgrading)
    • Skydrive desktop sync application stopped working you're forced to use metro one but you can't use it if you're using local account. (this is just stupid)
    • some other cosmetic changes like hiding libraries renaming Computer to this PC.. (this pc that pc I don't get it why change that, its small things but it changes work flow for example when you tell someone to go to computer to open disk etc. etc. now its this pc)

    there may be more problems but I still haven't spent much time with 8.1 so I haven't noticed it.
    I can't comment on new start screen because as soon as windows was upgraded I installed startisback+ start menu.
    Tested new start screen on preview and did not liked it.. well it's some improvement over windows 8 start screen but still I dont want It on my standard keyboard, mouse pc. on tablet maybe

    I have SSD on that laptop and I did not see any speed increase over windows 8.

    In the end I decided not to upgrade my main home PC from windows 8 to 8.1 for some time.. I'll wait until some problems get resolved or good work around is found.. I really don't like that I can't sync skydrive if I use local account.



    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    i am not all thrilled with 8.1, i still would have liked a real start menu but i installed startisback for 8.1 since i own it
    And if you do not have a touch screen like I do on all my pcs except for my tablet, you do not really appreciated the changes.
    btw for those who have startisback you need to uninstall the version you have for windows 8, and pick up the version for 8.1. It will keep the liscense info so you do not have to install it again.
    Not true.
    If your version is 2.0 or later you can just upgrade and then install startisback+ (version for windows 8.1) on top no problem tested it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8



    I am Woman! Hear Me Roar!
    NJ
    Posts : 1,116
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3


    Quote Originally Posted by seattlerust View Post
    Just for information, I started the download about three hours ago and so far, have only received 28% of the download. Probably due to millions of people doing the same thing? Something else? My internet is not particularly slow and I have never experienced this to this degree before. Making me wish I had waited a couple of days. Anyone else experiencing similar results?

    Seattlerust
    i have a very fast internet and it took 1 hour to download it from the store, yes their servers are bogged down, installation took faster than the download
    that was one machine
    i did it later in the evening around 7 pm on another pc and it took 3 hours just to download it from the store, a half hr to install
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 28
    windows 8.1 pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Baidukun View Post
    Did Windows store upgrade (more like downgrade) on test laptop from windows 8 pro to windows 8.1pro.. update went OK, it was quite fast.
    But I'm disappointed Windows 8.1 is not better if you're desktop user. It's only worse.
    Things I don't like.
    • You are forced to login with MS account when upgrading. (of course later you can convert to offline/local account, but I did not find option when upgrading)
    • Skydrive desktop sync application stopped working you're forced to use metro one but you can't use it if you're using local account. (this is just stupid)
    • some other cosmetic changes like hiding libraries renaming Computer to this PC.. (this pc that pc I don't get it why change that, its small things but it changes work flow for example when you tell someone to go to computer to open disk etc. etc. now its this pc)

    there may be more problems but I still haven't spent much time with 8.1 so I haven't noticed it.
    I can't comment on new start screen because as soon as windows was upgraded I installed startisback+ start menu.
    Tested new start screen on preview and did not liked it.. well it's some improvement over windows 8 start screen but still I dont want It on my standard keyboard, mouse pc. on tablet maybe

    I have SSD on that laptop and I did not see any speed increase over windows 8.

    In the end I decided not to upgrade my main home PC from windows 8 to 8.1 for some time.. I'll wait until some problems get resolved or good work around is found.. I really don't like that I can't sync skydrive if I use local account.



    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    i am not all thrilled with 8.1, i still would have liked a real start menu but i installed startisback for 8.1 since i own it
    And if you do not have a touch screen like I do on all my pcs except for my tablet, you do not really appreciated the changes.
    btw for those who have startisback you need to uninstall the version you have for windows 8, and pick up the version for 8.1. It will keep the liscense info so you do not have to install it again.
    Not true.
    If your version is 2.0 or later you can just upgrade and then install startisback+ (version for windows 8.1) on top no problem tested it.

    User pokki a lot better. Pokki - Download Free Desktop Apps and Games

    in regards to the earlier poster you wont see much of a difference with ssd boot up times going from 8 to 8.1 you will from 7 tho. it all depends tho i mean if you want optimal preformance if your bios supports it, setup the drive with EFI and in the bios and format a EFI setup and select ultra fast or fast. in bios for boot up.

    As far as the whole microsoft account stuff. easy by pass just disconnect from network and then proceed by going back
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10



    I am Woman! Hear Me Roar!
    NJ
    Posts : 1,116
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3


    Quote Originally Posted by Baidukun View Post
    Did Windows store upgrade (more like downgrade) on test laptop from windows 8 pro to windows 8.1pro.. update went OK, it was quite fast.
    But I'm disappointed Windows 8.1 is not better if you're desktop user. It's only worse.
    Things I don't like.
    • You are forced to login with MS account when upgrading. (of course later you can convert to offline/local account, but I did not find option when upgrading)
    • Skydrive desktop sync application stopped working you're forced to use metro one but you can't use it if you're using local account. (this is just stupid)
    • some other cosmetic changes like hiding libraries renaming Computer to this PC.. (this pc that pc I don't get it why change that, its small things but it changes work flow for example when you tell someone to go to computer to open disk etc. etc. now its this pc)

    there may be more problems but I still haven't spent much time with 8.1 so I haven't noticed it.
    I can't comment on new start screen because as soon as windows was upgraded I installed startisback+ start menu.
    Tested new start screen on preview and did not liked it.. well it's some improvement over windows 8 start screen but still I dont want It on my standard keyboard, mouse pc. on tablet maybe

    I have SSD on that laptop and I did not see any speed increase over windows 8.

    In the end I decided not to upgrade my main home PC from windows 8 to 8.1 for some time.. I'll wait until some problems get resolved or good work around is found.. I really don't like that I can't sync skydrive if I use local account.



    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    i am not all thrilled with 8.1, i still would have liked a real start menu but i installed startisback for 8.1 since i own it
    And if you do not have a touch screen like I do on all my pcs except for my tablet, you do not really appreciated the changes.
    btw for those who have startisback you need to uninstall the version you have for windows 8, and pick up the version for 8.1. It will keep the liscense info so you do not have to install it again.
    Not true.
    If your version is 2.0 or later you can just upgrade and then install startisback+ (version for windows 8.1) on top no problem tested it.
    that is not what the owner told me, he recommended to uninstall the 8.0 version and install the 8.1 version,, why have 2 separate versions , he would have just upgraded his one version to work with both
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Now ready for you: Windows 8.1 and the Windows Store
Related Threads
Ready for Windows 8? We're just starting on Win 7, says Dell Ready for Windows 8? We're just starting on Win 7, says Dell | Microsoft - CNET News
I'm stumped with people saying you do and don't need a Windows 8 Motherboard Really need help with this one
Source A Guy
Read more at source: Windows 8: Ready, set, preorder | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews See also: Prices and packaging for Windows 8 go public | ZDNet
Read more at source: At Windows 8 launch, these 40 games will be ready to go | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
Windows 8 Is Retina-Ready in Windows 8 News
4867All the talk these days is of the new iPad and its magical screen. Apple isn’t the only one who can do that, you know. In fact, most display makers are looking forward to post-HD resolutions as one of the big selling points of the next generation of displays. Other tablets are already...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook