Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


automatically upgraded to Windows 8.1 for free

  1. #31


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I had network issues after updating to the preview though the store. It would work then quit for 10 or 15 seconds then come back then quit again over and over. My mouse would do the same thing.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Denmark
    Posts : 224
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro


    Is Windows 8 store the only way to get win8.1? I do NOT log in via my "microsoft email" into Windows 8 and therefore I am not trusted in Windows Store, and can't "buy" any apps. Will that be a problem for me about win 8.1?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    Quote Originally Posted by Burgurne View Post
    Is Windows 8 store the only way to get win8.1? I do NOT log in via my "microsoft email" into Windows 8 and therefore I am not trusted in Windows Store, and can't "buy" any apps. Will that be a problem for me about win 8.1?
    I'm with you homes, if its an "update" than it should be available as such right from windows update. I don't use no stinkin store either, smirks.

    I'd like the ISO D/L so I can burn it to DVD and have it with my W8 install DVD just in case
    Last edited by HOODY; 15 Oct 2013 at 15:50.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I do believe it was posted in one of the threads here that you wouldn't need a Live ID for this update. You will be able to do it with just a standard account.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgurne View Post
    Is Windows 8 store the only way to get win8.1? I do NOT log in via my "microsoft email" into Windows 8 and therefore I am not trusted in Windows Store, and can't "buy" any apps. Will that be a problem for me about win 8.1?
    I'm with you homes, if its an "update" than it should be available as such right from windows update. I don't use no stinkin store either, smirks.

    I'd like the ISO D/L so I can burn it to DVD and have it with my W8 install DVD just in case
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    From what I read, one can have just a local account. This is how it was performed when 8.1 was released; They sent out an update via Windows update. This placed a link in the Store to start the process. You press the link, it downloads, and installs. So therefore, yes, you may have to open the Store app to get the ball rolling. To date I've never heard of anyone getting injured or killed by opening up the Store app, so I guarantee it's safe.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    To install with local account just disconnect ethernet cable, and turn of any type of wifi you have. That is what I did.

    Henry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Hewjr100 View Post
    To install with local account just disconnect ethernet cable, and turn of any type of wifi you have. That is what I did.

    Henry
    That isn't necessary - Local Account - Switch to in Windows 8

    And somehow or another you'll be notified 8.1 is live. Heck just being here puts you in the know. And if you have friend with 8, just spread the word.

    Anyhow I'll bet a pretty penny Microsoft will find a way to get the word out to those living in the woods
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Actually you can do that, it's an option just like anything else. Like I said I did it and it worked. Btw what is so hard about unplugging an ethernet cable. If you do that then there is no need to go thru all the steps suggested in the first place.

    I had a microsoft account and whne I did the preview update/upgrade all I did was unplug ethernet cable and ran update with a local account no problem.

    Henry

    Henry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by Hewjr100 View Post
    Actually you can do that, it's an option just like anything else. Like I said I did it and it worked. Btw what is so hard about unplugging an ethernet cable. If you do that then there is no need to go thru all the steps suggested in the first place.

    I had a microsoft account and whne I did the preview update/upgrade all I did was unplug ethernet cable and ran update with a local account no problem.

    Henry

    Henry
    It's not hard to unplug a cable but for the 8.1 GA upgrade it is not necessary so why would you want to do it? This is not the preview so it will be different.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
automatically upgraded to Windows 8.1 for free
Related Threads
Just a curious thought, and I am unsure if it is possible, but has anyone had an installation of Windows Xp and Upgraded to Vista, then 7, then 8, and finally 8.1? Or is that not even possible. I am assuming not as the hardware has changed a bunch from 2001 to 2014 (Now).
Windows 8 & 8.1 Guide Books - free and almost free I want to recommend a couple of Windows 8 and 8.1 Guidebooks. I have both and they are really useful. ----- The first is a PDF offered by Dell and it's FREE. Here's the download link:
I stupidly upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1 thinking I was just accepting a windows update and everything was installed seemingly without any probs. however, I have been forced to create a Microsoft account during the install process which I did not want and now my computer makes me log in every...
Hi All, Recently I have upgraded my Lenovo G580 laptop from windows 8 to windows 8.1. After up-gradation Wifi is stop working. I have checked the WIFI device driver(Broadcom 802.11n) in device manger and it is showing working fine but in the Networks section the Wifi is showing disabled. I...
I have a brand new PC been using for last few days; which I just upgraded to a new SSD drive and a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro; manually installed all the drivers myself, and have been getting quite frequent daily BSOD crashes. Im really not familiar with Windows 8, so have been a struggle to...
Upgraded to Windows 8, insane RAM cache. in Performance & Maintenance
So, I recently upgraded to Windows 8. And I noticed I started having some issues with performance in games (stuttering, etc). My question was, is it normal for Windows to eventually cache all the RAM available? It started out at 1GB, then started creeping up and has never once gone down in size. ...
Hi, I came into possession of a quite powerful, but last-gen, PC that came installed with Windows XP Pro OEM. Now at the moment I can't afford to upgrade all the internal parts so I chucked in a new graphics card to help it along and I upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro. My question is, in the future...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook