Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft Releases Windows 8.1 Upgrade Information for Win

  1. #1

    Microsoft Releases Windows 8.1 Upgrade Information for Win


    Windows 8.1 is now up for preorder, so you can reserve your own copy of the operating system only, while shipments will only begin on October 18.

    But before buying Windows 8.1, there are couple of things you need to know first, including details concerning the upgrading process to this new platform.

    Just like Microsoft mentions on the Windows 8.1 page of the official store, “Windows 8.1 is not designed for installation on devices running Windows XP or Windows Vista,” which means that a clean install is needed if you’re willing to switch to 8.1 from these two old operating systems.

    On the other hand, if you’re already running Windows 7 right now, upgrading to 8.1 is piece of cake, as all files are automatically transferred to your new copy of Windows.
    Microsoft Releases Windows 8.1 Upgrade Information for Windows XP, Vista Users

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    I find this part curious:
    In case you’re a Windows XP or Vista user, Microsoft recommends to first purchase Windows 8 and only then get the free update to 8.1 from the Store.

    “If you’re running Windows 8, visit the Windows Store for a free update to Windows 8.1 starting on October 17. If you're running Windows 7, your files will easily transfer. If you're running Windows Vista or earlier, qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 by purchasing Windows 8 now,” the company explained.
    I was wondering why MS are recommending installing 8 first then 8,1, over clean installing 8.1, because the end result is surely that you'd have 8.1 running on the same hardware, and a clean install would generally be better?

    The only reasons I can think of why Microsoft would say this are:
    1. in Windows 8 you can use the Upgrade Assistant to check out the hardware; presumably there won't be one for 8.1
    2. you may keep more files using the 8 installer from Vista and XP - and then keep them again in a 8.0->8.1 Store upgrade

    Basically I'm concluding that the 8.0 installer is better than the 8.1 installer!

    There is a possible 3rd reason of course - it may be cheaper to go via 8.0 - but Microsoft are unlikely to see that as an advantage.

    But it also suggests that MS might keep selling Windows 8.0 for a while after 8.1 is released, for instance to all those Windows XP users that presumably MS would love to upgrade by April 2014.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Tropical Island Pair a Dice
    Posts : 3,030
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64


    Nah, Win8 will disappear fairly quickly being replaced by Windows 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
    Nah, Win8 will disappear fairly quickly being replaced by Windows 8.1.
    So if 8.1 is "not designed for" PCs running XP, and people can't buy 7 or 8.0 from Microsoft (presumably they will linger on Amazon etc. for a while), I wonder what is the official MS view on what those XP users are supposed to do in April 2014?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I find this part curious:
    In case you’re a Windows XP or Vista user, Microsoft recommends to first purchase Windows 8 and only then get the free update to 8.1 from the Store.

    “If you’re running Windows 8, visit the Windows Store for a free update to Windows 8.1 starting on October 17. If you're running Windows 7, your files will easily transfer. If you're running Windows Vista or earlier, qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 by purchasing Windows 8 now,” the company explained.
    I was wondering why MS are recommending installing 8 first then 8,1, over clean installing 8.1, because the end result is surely that you'd have 8.1 running on the same hardware, and a clean install would generally be better?

    The only reasons I can think of why Microsoft would say this are:
    1. in Windows 8 you can use the Upgrade Assistant to check out the hardware; presumably there won't be one for 8.1
    2. you may keep more files using the 8 installer from Vista and XP - and then keep them again in a 8.0->8.1 Store upgrade

    Basically I'm concluding that the 8.0 installer is better than the 8.1 installer!

    There is a possible 3rd reason of course - it may be cheaper to go via 8.0 - but Microsoft are unlikely to see that as an advantage.

    But it also suggests that MS might keep selling Windows 8.0 for a while after 8.1 is released, for instance to all those Windows XP users that presumably MS would love to upgrade by April 2014.
    Here is the reason you may be able to buy a copy of win8 upgrade for less than a copy of win 8.1.

    Upgrading from Windows 7 (or earlier) to Windows 8.1

    You can do this in either of two ways:

    • Upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro first and then install the free Windows 8.1 update. OR
    • Upgrade directly to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7, by purchasing an online upgrade or a retail boxed copy.

    Regardless of which upgrade path you choose, the resulting installation is exactly the same. In either case, you’ll need to reinstall all your desktop programs.
    Note that you might be able to find a better deal on a Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Those packages are more heavily discounted than the newer Windows 8.1 packages. In exchange for a few extra minutes of setup you can save a hefty chunk of change.
    Everything you need to know about your Windows 8.1 upgrade options | ZDNet
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Denmark
    Posts : 224
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro


    When having a WIndows 8 Pro Upgrade dvd, will it be possible to slipstreme the "8.1" upgrade into an image, so it can be used to make a clean install with Windows 8.1 later on?

    If so, do we need any 3.parts program to do so, or will this be possible with Microsoft-programs?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Tropical Island Pair a Dice
    Posts : 3,030
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
    Nah, Win8 will disappear fairly quickly being replaced by Windows 8.1.
    So if 8.1 is "not designed for" PCs running XP, and people can't buy 7 or 8.0 from Microsoft (presumably they will linger on Amazon etc. for a while), I wonder what is the official MS view on what those XP users are supposed to do in April 2014?
    When they say "not designed for", they are referring to the upgrade installation path, ie. installing from within your running Windows version, XP and Vista. You can do a clean install on just about any machine that can run XP, and any machine that runs Vista.
    Of coarse, you can buy Windows 8.1 and clean install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    that is quite unfair and i am not gettng the logic behind such an condition imposed on XP and Vista users .. what the way they want to win 8.1 popular
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisColeman View Post
    that is quite unfair and i am not gettng the logic behind such an condition imposed on XP and Vista users .. what the way they want to win 8.1 popular
    Not really unfair.
    I think it is badly worded. The full text in the original blog was
    "Windows 8.1 is not designed for installation on devices running Windows
    XP or Windows Vista. Although not designed or recommended for devices
    running Windows XP or Windows Vista, consumers still wanting to upgrade
    from Windows XP or Windows Vista should buy the retail DVD instead of
    using the download and boot from the DVD to do a clean install of
    Windows 8.1. Note: files, settings and programs will not transfer –
    Consumers will need to back up their files and settings, perform clean
    installation, and then reinstall their files, settings and programs."

    Their is no way that Microsoft, or the installation media, can determine that, because your computer is running , say XP, it can not handle Windows 8 or 8.1. I, like many, for family purposes, have XP in a dual boot. My computer(s) runs Windows 8 without a hiccup.
    If you read my original quote, I think the meaning, as I say "badly worded", is that if you try an update over any other than windows 8, you may, or will, end up with a disaster, and certainly will lose your previous third party programs. Hence their recommendation that you buy the full product.
    Last edited by davehc; 05 Oct 2013 at 23:44.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 13
    Windows 8


    When you say 8.1 Full Version, is this the same as in the past as with windows 7 that if the computer you put it on dies you can install it on another computer and you can continue this forever? I ask because the way they keep changing things its hard to know. Just want to be sure Full Version means what it did before. Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Microsoft Releases Windows 8.1 Upgrade Information for Win
Related Threads
Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to users running licensed versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. This is not the same as a free OS, it is an free upgrade; you have to have Win7 or Win8.1 installed and genuine. The upgrade path is being worked out now while Windows 10 is still being...
Read more at: Microsoft releases Windows 8.1 Update 1 to manufacturing | ZDNet
Microsoft releases 90 day trial versions of Windows 8.1 Enterprise - Neowin
Read more at source: Microsoft builds toward Windows Blue releases | Microsoft - CNET News
Read more at source: Microsoft makes first of its Windows Embedded 8 releases generally available | ZDNet See also: Get Windows Embedded 8
New information was leaked about the upcoming Microsoft Windows, possibly named Eight 8. As you can see through the leaked pictures, Microsoft seems to follow their competitor’s steps, as Apple is leading the path to success. There are many ways to analyze this, but one logic reason to do this:...
Read The Rest Here: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/07/23/microsoft-releases-fourth-quarter-results
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook