Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


8.1 Evaluation from Windows Secrets Newsletter

  1. #71


    Posts : 103
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Thing is, I've never been a "turn the other cheek" kinda guy. If there's an issue that disturbs me, I'll voice my opinion, pushing until it's over... one way or the other.
    I don't think what you're saying really adds anything to the discussion though, because you are saying "imagine this horrible future!" and I'm saying "but it probably won't be that horrible!". What else is there to say? I prefer to talk about things that actually exist and if we're talking about an evaluation of 8.1, which is what the thread is about after all, then installing Start8 (or whatever) on 8.1 gives you a user experience that is close to identical to working on the desktop with a Windows 7 machine. Problem solved.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    Guys everyone is entitled to their own opinions but in a respectful manner please
    I believe this thread started out about Windows Secrets' evaluation of Windows 8 (or 8.1), which I wanted to know about.

    Pardon me for saying something that may put me in the same category, but it seems to me that this thread has degenerated into what I'd call a "schoolyard bully" contest. i.e. "I can be a bigger bully than you can and leave my opponents lying bleeding in the grass better than you can."

    I don't know why I keep coming back to read this particular thread when I get a notification . . . I guess I keep hoping to actually get Windows 8 information, but it's become too hard to find between all the other stuff. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Thing is, I've never been a "turn the other cheek" kinda guy. If there's an issue that disturbs me, I'll voice my opinion, pushing until it's over... one way or the other.
    I don't think what you're saying really adds anything to the discussion though, because you are saying "imagine this horrible future!" and I'm saying "but it probably won't be that horrible!". What else is there to say? I prefer to talk about things that actually exist and if we're talking about an evaluation of 8.1, which is what the thread is about after all, then installing Start8 (or whatever) on 8.1 gives you a user experience that is close to identical to working on the desktop with a Windows 7 machine. Problem solved.
    Clearly, I was responding to Hippie Gypsie.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post

    Pardon me for saying something that may put me in the same category, but it seems to me that this thread has degenerated into what I'd call a "schoolyard bully" contest. i.e. "I can be a bigger bully than you can and leave my opponents lying bleeding in the grass better than you can."
    I hope I don't come across that way, it is not my intent.(but I do admit that I do enjoy a spirited exchange of viewpoints)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post

    Pardon me for saying something that may put me in the same category, but it seems to me that this thread has degenerated into what I'd call a "schoolyard bully" contest. i.e. "I can be a bigger bully than you can and leave my opponents lying bleeding in the grass better than you can."
    I hope I don't come across that way, it is not my intent.(but I do admit that I do enjoy a spirited exchange of viewpoints)
    I really couldn't tell you, Rickkins, because I've long since stopped reading "who said what to whom". I simply attempt to pick any "jewels" from the "mud" and go on about my way.

    BTW, spirited is one thing, but outright insults are another. And not backing down from an argument for the sake of not backing down is another.

    I believe we're all here for the same thing; either to give or get information. I'd just like to see us get back on track.

    Debate is a good thing; argument for the sake of argument is not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Posts : 219
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    It is a subjective thing. Which is why giving us the option to choose, would have been such a dandy idea.
    Why is it an issue for you though? That's the bit I don't get.

    In Windows 7, I needed some way to mount ISOs. Windows couldn't do it natively, so I had to find a third party app to do it. I found a free piece of software called Virtual CloneDrive, installed it, it worked great - job done.

    So your issue in Windows 8 is that the full screen equivalent of the Start menu takes your attention away from what you're doing. I'd say that you have 3 possible solutions: -

    1. Pin shortcuts to the software you need to use when you're working to the taskbar.

    2. Create a toolbar in the taskbar and place shortcuts to all your work software in that, then shove it up one end so it acts like a mini Start menu just for those programs.

    3. Install Start8, Classic Shell, or one of the other Start menu replacements.

    Does that not solve your problem in the same way that installing Virtual CloneDrive in Windows 7 solved mine? If not, why not?

    I understand that some people are annoyed with Microsoft's design decision, but then if you can replace that functionality with something else that works just as well, what is the problem? The "real" problem, rather than a hypothetical one, I mean.
    Yeah.. but you are missing the point. I too have always run 3rd party software to mount ISO files, etc... Not a big deal.. I typically run 3rd party antivirus as well, and pdf reader, etc.. I just do not like having to run 3rd party apps that affect the way the gui functions. I have never been a fan of these, and have had poor experiences with them in the past. Things like stardock, fences, and windows themes etc, that are 3rd party apps that alter the look and feel of windows, just don't sit well with me. I just don't like running them.

    And here.. you are missing the point entirely, which is not surprising because there seems to be an infection of this running around these boards. I should not have to install a 3rd party app to do this. Plane and simple. The choice should have been there all along. The start screen is just no better than the start menu on a desktop PC. If you took a poll of 100 users, you will never hear otherwise unless your poll is taken in Redmond WA. Have you looked at the all apps menu lately. It is hard to find anything on it. The fact that folks think it is better, and are honest about it, blows me away. And before people get busy telling me all the little workarounds available such as just typing what you want, pinning to desktop etc.. please know, that these are not valuable solutions, nor are they anything new. They were there before as an option as well.. but for those of us who want to click on the start menu and find our way to our app with the mouse, this is hands down harder with the start screen.. And all your suggestions are just workarounds..

    I work in IT. I provide workarounds all day long. They are just that.. workarounds... temp fixes until a permanent solution can be found. We don't have one of those here. I am going to bow out of this convo from here. Talks like this are better had in person, but the problem is, I still cannot find anyone to talk with face to face who actually likes the new Start screen. No one. And it has been over a year. I manage 45 other engineers. No one..!!

    So.. for those of you in the minority, who actually like the start screen.. Good for you!! Quit trying to convince the rest of us, many of whom have been using it for quite a while now, of how much better it is. Personally, I would have welcomed an OS that had both the start button which lead to menu, and the ability to move the mouse all the way into the corner to access the start screen. Then you have the best of both worlds.. But now I am just ranting..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 103
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    I should not have to install a 3rd party app to do this. Plane and simple.
    But if you do, does it solve your problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7
    Have you looked at the all apps menu lately. It is hard to find anything on it.
    Is it? Here's a screenshot of mine: -

    http://i.imgur.com/ar6YBRe.jpg

    I have no difficulty finding anything I want. Why would I? The All Apps screen is an always-expanded Start menu, but the fact that it's always-expanded means I can see everything and open anything with 1 click - it's faster for me. If you're digging through nested folders in the Start menu looking for what you want, don't tell me that your way is just as fast - it's not. That just leaves you with the "it takes attention away!" argument, but we've already covered that.

    At the end of the day though, if you're not happy with Windows 8, yet you're not going to install a piece of software that will solve your biggest gripe (and there are several choices), you only have yourself to blame. Personally, if I have a problem and I know there's a solution, I use it, rather than not using it and then moaning for over a year that my problem should be solvable a different way, but that's just me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    Yeah.. but you are missing the point.
    Not really. Your point is that you don't like the start menu, and you'll make up excuse after excuse to justify your personal preference.

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    I too have always run 3rd party software to mount ISO files, etc... Not a big deal.. I typically run 3rd party antivirus as well, and pdf reader, etc.. I just do not like having to run 3rd party apps that affect the way the gui functions. I have never been a fan of these, and have had poor experiences with them in the past. Things like stardock, fences, and windows themes etc, that are 3rd party apps that alter the look and feel of windows, just don't sit well with me. I just don't like running them.
    You don't like running them for imaginary reasons. Yes, in the very olden days, Windows blinds and what not did not work very well. But ever since Windows XP, Microsoft has actually implemented a theming API that Stardock and what not use to do their UI changes. This is the *EXACT SAME* API that Microsoft themselves use to them XP, Vista, 7 and 8.x. There is literally no difference in performance, robustness, or "how well it works" between these UI Themes and the ones that ship with windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    And here.. you are missing the point entirely, which is not surprising because there seems to be an infection of this running around these boards. I should not have to install a 3rd party app to do this. Plane and simple.
    In other words, it doesn't matter if your reasons are real or imaginary, you want what you want. The part you seem to miss is that Windows is *Microsoft's* software. They can do whatever they want with it, and you have *zero* rights to demand they do otherwise. Your only right is to vote with your wallet, by not purchasing it if you don't like it. That's it. Just like if you don't like the Toyota Prius, you just don't buy it. That doesn't give you the right to demand they make the Prius look like a Camry.

    Microsoft can do whatever they want. It's their product. They own the copyright. It's their intellectual property. So saying "I shouldn't have to..." is really missing the point. And the point is, if you want Windows to be something other than what it is, then yes.. you *DO* have to...

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    The choice should have been there all along.
    Why? Why should it have been there all along? Because you said so? I say differently. Which of us wins? Neither, because Microsoft's opinion is the only choice that wins. If they choose to listen to you, great... but clearly they can't listen to everyone. Because people have contradictory opinions. And believe it or not, no.. not everyone believes what you believe. Everyone you know may believe it, because you've given them their opinion from day one.

    I find that users tend to take on the opinions of the technical people that help them. When I show users how easy it is to use Windows 8, they love it. They think it's logical, because i'm not constantly telling them how bad it is, and I show them all the nice features that help them in their day to day life. When you show people how easy it is to find things in the Start menu when you don't have a pre-conceived bad opinion of it, people learn really quickly how to use it and get on with their lives.

    For what it's worth, Vista suffered from the exact same problem. Well, it had two problems. The first, was that Microsoft had bowed to Intel and hardware vendors to allow Vista to be shipped on machines that were too low spec for it. The second was that technical people kept bad mouthing it to users before they'd even used it, so that by time they did they already had a negative opinion. By SP1 the few real problems that Vista had were gone, yet people clung to the negative stereotype. Microsoft proved this by simply changing the theme and telling people it was a new version of Windows, and everyone loved it. It was called the Windows Mojave Experment. look it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    The start screen is just no better than the start menu on a desktop PC.
    I disagree, and for a lot of reasons. The start menu is difficult to maneuver if you have any kind of hand eye coordination problems. The start menu is too small, and condenses content into a tiny area of the screen, when you have a gigantic monitor to work with. You can't do something like Live tiles in the start menu. Like them or not, they have a purpose. And since Windows Vista/7 Gadgets are vulnerable to security exploits and unfixable, they're not a viable alternative (if you're using gadgets.. stop.. your system will eventually get owned because of them. They unsupported, even on Windows 7 and Vista and the only security patch for them disables them entirely).

    The start page has real, provable benefits over the start menu for a lot of people. So claiming that the start menu is better is just personal preference. I'm not saying the start screen is perfect by any shape of the imagination. It's not, but it solves problems with the start menu.

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    If you took a poll of 100 users, you will never hear otherwise unless your poll is taken in Redmond WA. Have you looked at the all apps menu lately. It is hard to find anything on it. The fact that folks think it is better, and are honest about it, blows me away. And before people get busy telling me all the little workarounds available such as just typing what you want, pinning to desktop etc.. please know, that these are not valuable solutions, nor are they anything new. They were there before as an option as well.. but for those of us who want to click on the start menu and find our way to our app with the mouse, this is hands down harder with the start screen.. And all your suggestions are just workarounds..
    If you took a poll of 100 users, 75 of them probably wouldn't care one way or another.. because they have no investment in a menu or a screen. They just start a few programs and they don't care how they do it. unless you got to them first to tell them how terrible it is.

    Of the 25 remaining, 15 will be vehemently against it, and make up the same excuses you do. 10 will give it a fair shot, and 8 will probably find they like it much more. 2 will probably want to go back because they just can't change their ways, even though they tried.

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    I work in IT. I provide workarounds all day long. They are just that.. workarounds... temp fixes until a permanent solution can be found. We don't have one of those here. I am going to bow out of this convo from here. Talks like this are better had in person, but the problem is, I still cannot find anyone to talk with face to face who actually likes the new Start screen. No one. And it has been over a year. I manage 45 other engineers. No one..!!
    First, how many of those engineers have actually used Windows 8? Second, how many of them formed their opinion after hearing you (or someone else) tell them how much it sucks? Third, I find that hard to believe, since out of everyone I know that uses Windows 8, most people either don't care one way or another, or like it. The few that don't like it are like you, set in their ways and refuse to change for any reason "I shouldn't have to" is the common refrain.

    You're resentful that you have to do things differently with Windows 8, and you waste no opportunity to tell others about that. I get it. We all get it. The question is, why do you keep doing it? You have to know it won't change anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    So.. for those of you in the minority, who actually like the start screen.. Good for you!! Quit trying to convince the rest of us, many of whom have been using it for quite a while now, of how much better it is. Personally, I would have welcomed an OS that had both the start button which lead to menu, and the ability to move the mouse all the way into the corner to access the start screen. Then you have the best of both worlds.. But now I am just ranting..
    What I don't understand is how you can yell at us to stop trying to convince you that it's not as bad as you claim, yet you see nothing wrong with constantly telling us about how much it sucks. The only reason we're arguing with you is because you keep bringing it up. If you don't want us to argue with you about it, stop starting the argument.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Southern California
    Posts : 788
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64


    I'll post what I think via pictures (some of this may have been implemented previously:

    Spelling words wrong doesn't matter - corrected
    Click image for larger version


    This one is a little strange, not sure I like this screen. After clicking the option you want from Searching, you may be brought here. It seems to give more internet searches than I need, and not as many local options that I might like. This is a redundant screen in my mind
    Click image for larger version


    This one is cool (might have trouble reading clearly). I can open tabs on IEapp from links in another app (say, view updates), and nothing closes. They both sit neatly, side-by-side, in the new half-screen view, and all links appear right there, and you can open a lot of them at once without constant switching.
    Click image for larger version


    I didn't like this one. When I switched to the desktop and came back to the previously mentioned screen, it got jumbled. Was hard to understand where to go from here, but I'm sure I'll learn in time. It was not as easy as selecting one of the three, they just kind of moved around.
    Click image for larger version

    Overall, I rate it an 8.5/10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
    Overall, I rate it an 8.5/10
    That's funny, that's the exact same rating people gave to Windows Mojave
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
8.1 Evaluation from Windows Secrets Newsletter
Related Threads
Solved Stuck on Windows 8.1 Evaluation in Installation & Setup
Hello, I've purchased my Lenovo Twist (came with w8.0) about a year ago and I've upgraded to windows 8.1 when it was released in the windows store. Months after I upgraded I ran into a few problems, I was unable to access apps on my metro screen. None of the solutions worked so my only choice was...
Is windows 8 still on evaluation? in Installation & Setup
Mine says it's an evaluation copy build 8400
Read more: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-secrets-desktop-theme-143447
Source A Guy
more at source..
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook