Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


8.1 Evaluation from Windows Secrets Newsletter

  1. #111


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    Adobe and Corel are in fact working on Windows 8 versions of their apps, and will likely welcome the change if it becomes the norm.
    What makes you think this? You honestly think that if Adobe could no longer sell Creative Cloud subscriptions directly to consumers because they had to go through the Windows Store and therefore pay a percentage of their earnings to Microsoft, that they would welcome that?
    Because they have apps in the Windows 8 App Store, such as Photoshop Express. They also have other apps in Apple's AppStore.


    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    It's clear that everyone in the industry believes that this is where Apple is going
    Is it?
    Yes. You're simply ignoring facts if you don't understand that.

    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    No, they're BECOMING walled gardens. Certainly, the Windows 8 RT is.
    RT, which has been dropped by every manufacturer aside from Microsoft because nobody wants it. Yeah, that's the future alright!
    Yeah, right

    Dell May Not Be Dumping Windows RT After All
    Last edited by Brink; 30 Sep 2013 at 15:01. Reason: removed quote that breaches forum rules

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #112


    Posts : 103
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Because they have apps in the Windows 8 App Store, such as Photoshop Express. They also have other apps in Apple's AppStore.
    OK, but what about answering my question?... If the Windows Store was the ONLY way for them to sell software to Windows users, meaning that MS takes a cut each time, why would they be happy about that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    I'm not saying it's impossible to pirate, but i'm saying that it's not quite so simple.
    Then perhaps you shouldn't use the words "no piracy".

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    You're simply ignoring facts if you don't understand that.
    I think it's strange to claim to know that every single person in the industry believes Apple is headed in one direction. How could you possibly know that to begin with? But now you're saying that it's a fact that I'm ignoring. Very strange. Perhaps you know literally every person in the tech industry and have done a survey though, lol.....

    But still, your argument makes no sense to begin with, because having one OS that runs on a range of devices does not mean it has to be a walled garden.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    "May" means "are" in Mystere World it seems, but if Dell do bring out an RT tablet, it will probably flop just like the rest of them. When even the platform creator is talking huge multi-million dollar right-offs because they can't even give the things away, you can't really by that optimistic about Dell's chances.

    Please don't come back and break my post down again unless you're going to provide actual facts instead of claims you cannot possibly substantiate and some "maybes". You're just arguing for the sake of it and half the time you're addressing things that aren't even relevant to the parts of my post that you're quoting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #113


    Edit: I didn't notice that you got banned. Really sorry to see that. Sincerely. I see you're green indicator is still on so I'll leave this to read.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _________

    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    I'm saying what would happen if the desktop were to go away as a rebuttal to someone who said "oh, it would be fine if it disappeared".
    Excuse me, but I never stated that. Please don't misquote me in the future.

    I stated that it will probably be eliminated. I never stated my approval or disapproval of it, nor my entire view on the whole matter of which way the industry is headed. Frankly, I'm in a "limbo" state trying to gain facts on both systems by using them as to ultimately make a personal choice.

    Of course it's no secret around here that I'm a big "Fanboi" of 8, 8.1, and MS. So far I think it to be a rather ingenious and efficient system. In fact, I'm one of those that liked it right off the bat. It didn't take me long to see the big picture of what MS is attempting to accomplish with it.

    If you've read my posts this past year, you'll see that I'm more concerned about total control over the OS in general. For one, it must be native to the device, not thin client. I don't mind cloud-centric services within the OS as long as a user has choices of whether to use them or not or to turn them off or not. In 8 and 8.1 > So far so good as far as I can tell.

    Don't like the ads in e.g. in the Bing or NBC apps? Don't pay attention to them, use different apps, or don't use them at all. Don't like the ads on a web page in your browser? Don't pay attention to them, turn them off, or don't use your browser. I don't see much of a difference myself.

    No, a lot of Store apps won't sync to function like Desktop apps, but so won't a browser if one is not "plugged in". Does anyone know anyone that is not "plugged in" these days? I don't think so. Therefore we and the industry have become reliant and the industry will continue to introduce software that is cloud-centric by nature. The natural way to sell such is via a cloud-centric store. Let's face it > The writing is on the wall > The tech giants are all headed for this system because the market has voted that way. If one has ever bought or obtained for free a "walled-gardened store" app and used it, then one has voted to promote such systems.

    So far as the desktop platform systems go > Will they survive? It doesn't look that way to me today, but then again, what do I know.

    BTW, interesting discussion going, gentlemen. I think we're keeping it civil thus far. Admin hasn't stepped in anyway.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #114


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Because they have apps in the Windows 8 App Store, such as Photoshop Express. They also have other apps in Apple's AppStore.
    OK, but what about answering my question?... If the Windows Store was the ONLY way for them to sell software to Windows users, meaning that MS takes a cut each time, why would they be happy about that?
    Because more users would buy their apps. Like I said, 70% of 1,000,000 is far better than 100% of 1,000. Or in Adobe's case.. 70% of 100,000,000 is better than 100% of 1,000,000.

    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    I'm not saying it's impossible to pirate, but i'm saying that it's not quite so simple.
    Then perhaps you shouldn't use the words "no piracy".
    You are fond of extremes. How about being realistic? "no piracy" means "no appreciable levels of piracy". It's too difficult, and thus not going to happen on a large scale.

    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    You're simply ignoring facts if you don't understand that.
    I think it's strange to claim to know that every single person in the industry believes Apple is headed in one direction. How could you possibly know that to begin with? But now you're saying that it's a fact that I'm ignoring. Very strange. Perhaps you know literally every person in the tech industry and have done a survey though, lol.....
    Again, you're taking extremes. When I say "The industry believes", i'm saying that the consensus of the industry observers believes it. Not that every person in the industry believes it. When you argue extremes, you're only ever going to look silly.

    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    But still, your argument makes no sense to begin with, because having one OS that runs on a range of devices does not mean it has to be a walled garden.
    I didn't say it has to be a wall garden. I said that Apple is moving it towards a walled garden.

    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere
    "May" means "are" in Mystere World it seems
    Yet you seem happy to accept as fact that Dell has abandoned the RT, despite the fact they've made no official announcement of such. The only people that claim that Dell has abandoned the RT are a few Industry observers who simply noticed that Dell's RT device was out of stock on their site. They concluded that Dell was abandoning the RT, which doesn't seem to be the case as there is solid evidence that more Dell ARM devices are coming.

    Funny how you accept those industry observers opinions as fact, yet the ones you disagree with you ignore.

    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    but if Dell do bring out an RT tablet, it will probably flop just like the rest of them. When even the platform creator is talking huge multi-million dollar right-offs because they can't even give the things away, you can't really by that optimistic about Dell's chances.
    They're taking right offs largely because of marketing. They made too many devices, didn't market it well, and now they had a large amount of stock with a new version about to ship. Dell, on the other hand took a different route. They sold all their stock before their next revision, so I'd hardly call that a failure.

    The only reason MS took write offs is because they have the new version coming.

    Quote Originally Posted by djsigma View Post
    Please don't come back and break my post down again unless you're going to provide actual facts instead of claims you cannot possibly substantiate and some "maybes". You're just arguing for the sake of it and half the time you're addressing things that aren't even relevant to the parts of my post that you're quoting.
    Yet you seem to have no problem using conjecture to support your argument. Nice.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #115


    Posts : 22,581
    64-bit Windows 10


    warning   Warning
    Let's keep this friendly shall we.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
8.1 Evaluation from Windows Secrets Newsletter
Related Threads
Solved Stuck on Windows 8.1 Evaluation in Installation & Setup
Hello, I've purchased my Lenovo Twist (came with w8.0) about a year ago and I've upgraded to windows 8.1 when it was released in the windows store. Months after I upgraded I ran into a few problems, I was unable to access apps on my metro screen. None of the solutions worked so my only choice was...
Is windows 8 still on evaluation? in Installation & Setup
Mine says it's an evaluation copy build 8400
Read more: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-secrets-desktop-theme-143447
Source A Guy
more at source..
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook