Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 Keeps Gaining Users As the 8.1 Launch Nears

  1. #21


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    It's TRUE, MdMd, MANY people are interested in it - They will LOOK. Then they will RUN!
    Funny! If they run, they must be scared!

    BTW, much of the so-called jarring animation can be turned off.
    ... and the start screen flipping can be disabled.

    Click image for larger version

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit


    No doubt, Microsoft is taking a gamble, here. XP has an awful lot of fiercely loyal fans, with good reason. Time will tell if their gamble will pay off. They no longer have such a lock on the market as they did back in 1995. But personally, I like 8, and I'm looking forward to the update.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I can't say as I h8t or g8t it. I use it on my laptop but see no point in upgrading my desktop from Windows 7. I am looking forward to the updates in 8.1 though. I won't be impressed if I suffer the same issues I have with the preview though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Toronto
    Posts : 82
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit


    Hi Everyone,

    Microsoft Just Upset A Bunch Of Windows 8 Developers Today!

    Microsoft today confirmed that its next version of Windows, known as Windows 8.1, is on track to be delivered to the world on October 18. The company has sent the operating system to hardware partners so they can finish their new devices.
    But it also made a ruffled a lot of feathers with today's announcement

    More to come within the next two weeks or so, ASUS, and other major Partners on the hardware side will Not Be Signing On with Microsoft in the Direction, Microsoft has chosen to go with Desktop Personal Computers...



    Read More: Developers Won't Get Windows 8.1 RTM - Business Insider
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Explorertml View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    Microsoft Just Upset A Bunch Of Windows 8 Developers Today!

    Microsoft today confirmed that its next version of Windows, known as Windows 8.1, is on track to be delivered to the world on October 18. The company has sent the operating system to hardware partners so they can finish their new devices.
    But it also made a ruffled a lot of feathers with today's announcement

    More to come within the next two weeks or so, ASUS, and other major Partners on the hardware side will Not Be Signing On with Microsoft in the Direction, Microsoft has chosen to go with Desktop Personal Computers...
    Heard that. Hey, competition is a good thing for the consumer. I'm really curious to get my hands on a ChromeBook, for one thing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Toronto
    Posts : 82
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by DJRoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Explorertml View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    Microsoft Just Upset A Bunch Of Windows 8 Developers Today!

    Microsoft today confirmed that its next version of Windows, known as Windows 8.1, is on track to be delivered to the world on October 18. The company has sent the operating system to hardware partners so they can finish their new devices.
    But it also made a ruffled a lot of feathers with today's announcement

    More to come within the next two weeks or so, ASUS, and other major Partners on the hardware side will Not Be Signing On with Microsoft in the Direction, Microsoft has chosen to go with Desktop Personal Computers...
    Heard that. Hey, competition is a good thing for the consumer. I'm really curious to get my hands on a ChromeBook, for one thing.
    Hi DJ,

    It will be a good new OS, and Google has partnered with Hatachi and matter of fact this new CR Book will be the 1st time any hardware builder and designer to use super conductor technology

    Will be super fast!!! And run ice cold at maximum use/operation

    Microsoft wake up! And Stop Screwing Us with your windows 8 garbage and Smartphone crap,,, leave the Smartphone market alone and let Apple and Samsung do their thing in that area ...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Tropical Island Pair a Dice
    Posts : 3,030
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64


    I am using Win8 on my computers, don't have any major problems with it, looking forward to 8.1. It's not perfect but is customizable as all Windows versions have been. Considering the options I'll stick with Windows.

    Have a WP8 phone and think it's a refreshing change to other smartphones, competition is a good thing.
    Don't understand why MS wouldn't get into this market.

    Choice is a good thing, choose the OS and smartphone you prefer and let others do the same.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Would love to try Windows 8.1 but I'm nervous I will lose all my apps. I'm new to Windows, having used Linux in my high-school. Is it worth the jump to 8.1?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    UK
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Explorertml View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Explorertml View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    Microsoft Just Upset A Bunch Of Windows 8 Developers Today!

    Microsoft today confirmed that its next version of Windows, known as Windows 8.1, is on track to be delivered to the world on October 18. The company has sent the operating system to hardware partners so they can finish their new devices.
    But it also made a ruffled a lot of feathers with today's announcement

    More to come within the next two weeks or so, ASUS, and other major Partners on the hardware side will Not Be Signing On with Microsoft in the Direction, Microsoft has chosen to go with Desktop Personal Computers...
    Heard that. Hey, competition is a good thing for the consumer. I'm really curious to get my hands on a ChromeBook, for one thing.
    Hi DJ,

    It will be a good new OS, and Google has partnered with Hatachi and matter of fact this new CR Book will be the 1st time any hardware builder and designer to use super conductor technology

    Will be super fast!!! And run ice cold at maximum use/operation

    Microsoft wake up! And Stop Screwing Us with your windows 8 garbage and Smartphone crap,,, leave the Smartphone market alone and let Apple and Samsung do their thing in that area ...
    I like the idea of a chromebook, but not sure if I could use it as my main device

    here in the UK there is a high percentage of people who do not have fast enough broadband for an on line device like this, so the speed of it would be terrible

    nice idea, but not to practical, I want to store my data locally not rely on the internet

    *unless chromebooks have changed since I last looked, then ignore the above
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Agata View Post
    Would love to try Windows 8.1 but I'm nervous I will lose all my apps. I'm new to Windows, having used Linux in my high-school. Is it worth the jump to 8.1?
    If you're using Linux NOW, yes, you'll lost the majority of your apps. If you mean you've recently adopted W7 or W8 and are concerned that 8.1 will kill your apps, don't be. I have yet to see an app that runs in 7 but won't in 8, and 8.1 won't change that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 8 Keeps Gaining Users As the 8.1 Launch Nears
Related Threads
(edit: solved. For whatever reason the SSD didn't have an EFI partition and Win8 wasn't installed on a GPT partition... So it didn't show up as bootable UEFI device) Hey :), Been fiddling around with it now for one day but didn't get it running. Guess I need some help... :(
HP Quick Launch for Windows 8? in Drivers & Hardware
I have an HP Envy 4t Ultrabook, and for Windows 7, I could install the Quick Launch software update to get functionality of the Wireless button, and other function keys. I see on HP's site they offer it for Windows 7, but not for Windows 8...for my Ultrabook. Before I try to install the software,...
This was even more shocking: Read more: Microsoft: Four million Windows 8 upgrades sold since launch | ZDNet
5871 Source: Chitika
Read more at: Windows 8 Nears the Finish Line: What's Good, What's Bad | PCWorld
Read more at: Maximum PC | Low Cost PC Makers Freaking Out as Windows 8 Nears Release
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook