Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


German Government warns of Windows 8

  1. #11


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Well,, when the large majority of peoples entire lives are already on the internet via FaceBook, LinkedIn, Twitter, GEO Tagging, you name it,

    What does it matter anymore anyway?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I assume that is joke.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Yes, that was sarcasm....... sort of..... wish it wasn't so true for so many.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Well,, when the large majority of peoples entire lives are already on the internet via FaceBook, LinkedIn, Twitter, GEO Tagging, you name it,

    What does it matter anymore anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I assume that is joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Yes, that was sarcasm....... sort of..... wish it wasn't so true for so many.
    You're not the only one making that point, either.
    Fake social network PRSM demonstrates we're willing to share everything anyway | ZDNet
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    Judging by the TOTAL mis-management of ANY Govt I.T project anywhere around the world - who CARES what they would say.

    The German federal authority is no worse or better than the rest of them

    The amount the US Federal Govt itself wastes on I.T contracts not fit for purpose probably would run entire economies for smaller nations for YEARS completely and believe it or not the US Federal Govt is by no means the least efficient -- the Gold medal here probably must go to the UK -- not so much because the I.T infrastructure is bad (what little remains of it that hasn't been outsourced to India yet) but because they keep starting on HUGE ambitious projects like the UK NHS service (the 4th largest employer in the world -- just behind I believe Indian Railways with the number of employees - to say nothing of contractors and other 3rd party suppliers) without stating what they actually NEED before the project commences and then they keep changing their minds every 5 mins at the whim of the latest Opinion Polls showing whether the incumbent govt is leading or advancing in the Polls before the next election.

    I don't think we should take any indicator of what Govts feel about Windows or any other piece of I.T software (or even hardware) seriously.

    As an example -- I knew a friend who was working on the TV licensing system in the UK . - In the UK as well as a number of other European countries viewers pay an annual TV license fee to support the state Broadcaster like the BBC (UK) , NOS (Holland), ARD(Germany) etc. --The BBC technically isn't a state broadcaster but to all intents and purposes it really is -there's no shareholders and the Govt appoints the "Governors" etc.

    Now this whole project was going to cost MILLIONS -- it's a really simple project -- who has a license and when did they last pay. - The funny thing is after the guy had finished his 6 month 650 EUR a day contract !!!! he said his 11 year old daughter could probably have come up with a more robust system after a few days just using something like Ms EXCEL. !!!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 142
    Win 7 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post

    In a big brother society, where all your innermost... whatever - are open to government scrutiny - your "nothing to hide" becomes whatever they want to say you have done - once your data 'paper trail' leads to the dark side, you have no defence against the evidence. There are no fingerprints in cyberspace, unless your opponents want yours to be on something incriminating.

    In Europe, when the "big boys in the government offices" get manipulated by a foreign government - even friendly old Uncle Sam - It certainly is time to get worried!

    However, in general, there is a lot more reaction in the people in the rest of the world - extremes of fascism get replaced by Marxism and vice versa. Pro American feeling generates Islamic anti-western growth in the absence of communism, and Americans get tired of being defeated time and again in idealistic foreign conflicts, which were none of their business in the first place.

    I totally agree with everything you say. Sure, the NSA and our corrupt government could be intercepting every txt or email message I send and receive, monitor every web site I visit, and snoop in on every phone call I make. Yes, I could be made a victim when I did nothing wrong. Its a possibility, but probably a very remote one.

    I guess where I was going with my comment is there are much bigger fish in the ocean than me. I'm not using Google to learn how to make bombs, I'm not stockpiling fertilizer and diesel fuel, and I'm not hanging out in terrorist chat rooms or on their message boards. I'm just your average person doing the 9-5 every day, trying to provide a comfortable living for my family.

    I would be totally astonished if the government came after me, especially with the background I have. Its possible, but I don't think its likely.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 142
    Win 7 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Well,, when the large majority of peoples entire lives are already on the internet via FaceBook, LinkedIn, Twitter, GEO Tagging, you name it,

    What does it matter anymore anyway?

    Very true. As long as you are careful what say, post, or do, you shouldn't have to worry. Nothing is ever 100% safe, but most people get themselves in trouble by their inability to control their mouth (or brain to keyboard responses).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
German Government warns of Windows 8
Related Threads
Source Microsoft will continue selling Windows 7 to Chinese government after Windows 8 ban Source A Guy
Hello There, I purchased an HP laptop from Germany with pre-installed German Windows 8 64-bit. As usual it doesn't have recovery DVDs but a Recovery partition on the hard disk. Everything is fine and going well, but- I am planning to remove the original hard disk and install an SSD instead. I...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook