Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Mark your calendars for Windows 8.1!

  1. #31


    Will it be region restricted or they going to release to every body

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    I don't go for upgrades because for the most part they suck, but I thought I'd give it a go from 8Pro to 8.1RP via the store just for the experience. Not a good one. Twice I tried downloading, but never did get it to work. That was doing it by the book with the update then downloading. Approximately 4 hours each download at my data speed. I forget the blasted #@*% message it gave me and quite frankly I don't want to know anymore. I finally ended up downloading the ISO and installed directly from the HD, which was convenient.

    The last couple of days I redid my system to get rid of 7 to dual boot 8Pro and 8.1Pro RP. I needed the 8Pro for my new Office Pro 2013 and, quite frankly, I got tired of 7. It's as slow as molasses in January. It's ancient to me now after using 8 for awhile.

    Anywho, all went well and quick installing 8Pro from my DVD and 8.1 from the downloaded ISO, of which I burned to a DVD. They had better get their Store upgrade correct this time or give us the ISO to burn. I vote ISO myself. They're convenient for reinstalls and fixes also.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    IE11 still is quite useless for a lot of business applications -- and also a lot of sites render poorly or incorrectly too --major show stopper in spite of other good changes in W8.1

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    I don't go for upgrades because for the most part they suck, but I thought I'd give it a go from 8Pro to 8.1RP via the store just for the experience. Not a good one. Twice I tried downloading, but never did get it to work. That was doing it by the book with the update then downloading. Approximately 4 hours each download at my data speed. I forget the blasted #@*% message it gave me and quite frankly I don't want to know anymore. I finally ended up downloading the ISO and installed directly from the HD, which was convenient.

    The last couple of days I redid my system to get rid of 7 to dual boot 8Pro and 8.1Pro RP. I needed the 8Pro for my new Office Pro 2013 and, quite frankly, I got tired of 7. It's as slow as molasses in January. It's ancient to me now after using 8 for awhile.

    Anywho, all went well and quick installing 8Pro from my DVD and 8.1 from the downloaded ISO, of which I burned to a DVD. They had better get their Store upgrade correct this time or give us the ISO to burn. I vote ISO myself. They're convenient for reinstalls and fixes also.
    I did the Store upgrade 3 times:
    - 2 sucesses and 1 faliure*.

    The success was great: you had all your programs and most settings kept (VBox networking errors were the only weird thing but I think I can fix that now).

    *The failure was pretty bad: it downloads all those files (4-5GB) and then... does nothing, nothing for ages, you can just reboot and it won't even bother anymore, setup files are ignored. For guys like me with slow connections, Store failures like that are not pleasant at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    I don't go for upgrades because for the most part they suck, but I thought I'd give it a go from 8Pro to 8.1RP via the store just for the experience. Not a good one. Twice I tried downloading, but never did get it to work.
    Yeah totally agree. I abandoned it after upgrading W98 to XP and haven't gone back since. All versions since have been retail discs from retail computer shop, including W8 Pro.

    I spoke to the salesman from PC shop today and he said he had tried three times to install the upgrade and it failed every time.

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    I finally ended up downloading the ISO and installed directly from the HD, which was convenient.
    How did you get the ISO because previous posts suggest it is not available? Or are you a Technet Subscriber?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    I did the Store upgrade 3 times:
    - 2 sucesses and 1 faliure*.

    The success was great: you had all your programs and most settings kept (VBox networking errors were the only weird thing but I think I can fix that now).

    *The failure was pretty bad: it downloads all those files (4-5GB) and then... does nothing, nothing for ages, you can just reboot and it won't even bother anymore, setup files are ignored. For guys like me with slow connections, Store failures like that are not pleasant at all.
    Perhaps the third time would have been the charm. Simply ran out of patience. Approximately 8 hours of download time. Another 3 for the ISO. Not that I was waiting around for I was doing other things, but geez.....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    I don't go for upgrades because for the most part they suck, but I thought I'd give it a go from 8Pro to 8.1RP via the store just for the experience. Not a good one. Twice I tried downloading, but never did get it to work.
    Yeah totally agree. I abandoned it after upgrading W98 to XP and haven't gone back since. All versions since have been retail discs from retail computer shop, including W8 Pro.

    I spoke to the salesman from PC shop today and he said he had tried three times to install the upgrade and it failed every time.

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    I finally ended up downloading the ISO and installed directly from the HD, which was convenient.
    How did you get the ISO because previous posts suggest it is not available? Or are you a Technet Subscriber?
    For 8 Pro and Enterprise:

    www.eightforums.com/showthread.php?t=27188
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    @HippsieGypsie: Thanks mate for the info. Question is, will it be available in final release?

    Cheers M
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Toronto
    Posts : 82
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit


    Hi Everyone,

    I wont be touching or have anything to do with Windows 8.0 or this new Windows 8.1

    I will be sticking with Windows 7 until Windows 9 comes into the market in 2015
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    You never know, there might be even more METRO in 9.

    It depends, if MS are able to shift 8.1 , through whatever means they can - they will keep building the metro monster/empire , depending on your point of view.

    If the public reject it, then MS will have to think again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Mark your calendars for Windows 8.1!
Related Threads
Read more at: Mark your Microsoft calendars: Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 launch dates revealed | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook