Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Mark your calendars for Windows 8.1!

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
    Did they ever say, definitively, whether the people on preview will have to re-install?
    Microsoft announced earlier this month that all users who would install Windows 8.1 Preview would have to remove all apps, including both Metro and desktop software, and settings when switching to the stable version of the operating system.
    Microsoft: You Won

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    If you want to do a clean install from a DVD is there any way to get 8.1 on disk free? I'd guess not, and that you would have to download and burn an ISO disk? But can anyone confirm definitively either way?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    If you want to do a clean install from a DVD is there any way to get 8.1 on disk free? I'd guess not, and that you would have to download and burn an ISO disk? But can anyone confirm definitively either way?
    It seems from the comments that "consumers" won't be able to download an ISO.

    I guess Technet subscribers etc. may be able to get them, but for most people it will be a Clean 8 install and then head to the Windows Store...

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    The comments are worth a read too, especially those from Brandon LeBlanc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon LeBlanc
    Consumers will only be able to get Windows 8.1 for free through the Windows Store. ISO images wonít be made available broadly for consumers. For most consumers, the Windows Store is the easiest and most efficient route for updating a Windows 8 device to Windows 8.1. ... installing Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store even on slow connections should work.
    However... I imagine that sooner or later the Upgrade Assistant-style mechanisms to upgrade from XP/Vista/7 will be updated to go straight to 8.1 rather than via 8. For one thing 8 will go out of support before Windows 7 I believe.

    So I don't entirely believe the lack of ISO will last forever. But I assume they won't be there on day 1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    When downloading from the Windows Store does it give an option to clean install rather than load over the top of the existing W8?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    ISO images wonít be made available broadly for consumers
    I'm assuming it will be available, just not for everyone...

    BTW there are ways to convert the downloaded Install.esd to an Install.wim by syspreping a VM - if you want to make an iso for re-install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 22,581
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    For students going back to school, we have Windows Chip-in which is a crowdsourcing program to help students and parents purchase a new Windows device for school. And the Windows Store Only at Best Buy store-within-a-store experiences will be launching throughout August and September, just in time for the back-to-school shopping season to check out all the latest Windows devices! If you buy a Windows 8 device today, you can look forward to the new features and improvements from Windows 8.1 in October.

    Itís very exciting to be delivering Windows 8.1 to consumers just before Windows 8 celebrates its 1-year anniversary. You can expect to read more from us on Windows 8.1 leading up to availability on October 18th!

    More...
    Careful there Shawn, some may accuse you of pushing an unholy OS

    Anyway that's good news. Guess that's when I'll be reinstalling my Win 8 copies.
    LOL, at least it's not being released on Halloween.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    ISO images won’t be made available broadly for consumers
    I'm assuming it will be available, just not for everyone...

    BTW there are ways to convert the downloaded Install.esd to an Install.wim by syspreping a VM - if you want to make an iso for re-install.
    Thanks for the thought but it's a bit over my 'pay grade' experience wise! Will wait for release to public to see what's on offer.

    Cheers M
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    I was so ready to do a clean install of 8.1 at then end of this month...so the agony of waiting continues.
    Same here. Will finally go to a SSD and wanted a clean install of 8.1. With no ISO available without TechNet or MSDN it looks like a clean install of 8 and then an upgrade to 8.1 is in my future. I have about 90 updates to 8 and hope there will be a way to updated to 8.1 without doing all those 90 updates first. Hopefully that procedure will be clearer when 8.1 is released.
    Jim
    Yeah I'm looking to do a clean install as well as finally running a copy on my desktop. Oh well, the wait continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Careful there Shawn, some may accuse you of pushing an unholy OS

    Anyway that's good news. Guess that's when I'll be reinstalling my Win 8 copies.
    LOL, at least it's not being released on Halloween.
    Oh god; you guys would definitely be busy that night, especially the mods
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    If you want to do a clean install from a DVD is there any way to get 8.1 on disk free? I'd guess not, and that you would have to download and burn an ISO disk? But can anyone confirm definitively either way?
    It seems from the comments that "consumers" won't be able to download an ISO.

    I guess Technet subscribers etc. may be able to get them, but for most people it will be a Clean 8 install and then head to the Windows Store...

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    The comments are worth a read too, especially those from Brandon LeBlanc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon LeBlanc
    Consumers will only be able to get Windows 8.1 for free through the Windows Store. ISO images won’t be made available broadly for consumers. For most consumers, the Windows Store is the easiest and most efficient route for updating a Windows 8 device to Windows 8.1. ... installing Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store even on slow connections should work.
    However... I imagine that sooner or later the Upgrade Assistant-style mechanisms to upgrade from XP/Vista/7 will be updated to go straight to 8.1 rather than via 8. For one thing 8 will go out of support before Windows 7 I believe.

    So I don't entirely believe the lack of ISO will last forever. But I assume they won't be there on day 1.
    There has never been an ISO download version for OEM manufacturer's Pre-installed Windows PC's.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    There has never been an ISO download version for OEM manufacturer's Pre-installed Windows PC's.
    So basically it's the same as downloading a Service Pack and installing it?

    Like others have said, I'll do a clean install off the retail OEM DVD for Win8 Pro, then download 8.1 from the Windows Store.

    So I guess to get the download you have to sign in with a Microsoft Account, not a local account.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Mark your calendars for Windows 8.1!
Related Threads
Read more at: Mark your Microsoft calendars: Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 launch dates revealed | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook