Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Users tell Microsoft: We hate Windows 8 touchscreen PCs

  1. #21


    Posts : 120
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    This is the same old fallacy. Touch will never work because your arm will get tired.

    Of course that argument makes sense, if you idiotically believe you will ONLY be using touch on a desktop. Touch will be used in addition to existing inputs of keyboard and mice. It will be used when it's natural to do so, and a mouse will be used when that is natural to do so. And it also makes sense if you idiotically believe that monitors will not become more fluid, allow you to just pick it up and use it as tablet when you want to draw on it, or do something more interactive. (larger screens may fold down to provide a flat drawing surface over the keyboard).
    Yep. I'm so looking forward to holding my 23" inch monitor in my arms.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    UAE
    Posts : 8
    Windows 8


    Well, I love windows 8 even it's touch. I love it! It makes us feel the double OS. The start menu, it makes us feel that we can't live in a single world forever with the taskbar hanging down. You can live in a double windows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    With respect. The reading in this thread is informative and interesting.
    But the article title, echoed in this thread title, is incorrect.
    No where, have users "told" Microsoft that they hate the touchscreen. It is wils assumption, drawn fro sales figures. Some of the posts in this thread put the picture more clearly.

    One fact which ahs not even been mentioned, is the quite significant extra cost, so far, of a touchscreen device.

    There does seem to be a tendency for forum users, to search for bad Microsoft news, but never look for the more positive side. A bit of a shame really, in view of some of the fine, and appreciated products in their history. Certainly a case of hitting a dog when it down.

    This one, of many, for example, is worth a read:

    Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by mcnulty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    This is the same old fallacy. Touch will never work because your arm will get tired.

    Of course that argument makes sense, if you idiotically believe you will ONLY be using touch on a desktop. Touch will be used in addition to existing inputs of keyboard and mice. It will be used when it's natural to do so, and a mouse will be used when that is natural to do so. And it also makes sense if you idiotically believe that monitors will not become more fluid, allow you to just pick it up and use it as tablet when you want to draw on it, or do something more interactive. (larger screens may fold down to provide a flat drawing surface over the keyboard).
    Yep. I'm so looking forward to holding my 23" inch monitor in my arms.
    Something in that direction: you place the monitor flat on the table.

    Click image for larger version
    picture source:
    Designing remains no more a tricky task with Multi-function Design Table | Designbuzz : Design ideas and concepts

    Size can vary, be smaller or larger, but you'll need to defy gravity less this way because the hand reaches downwards, imitating the mouse that sits on the table height. You can place the monitor where you like though...

    I still wouldn't consider it as a replacement for keyboard and mouse not to mention that big prices will still battle with consumers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    No where, have users "told" Microsoft that they hate the touchscreen.
    ... that's what most of us are doing right here, I would think?
    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    One fact which ahs not even been mentioned, is the quite significant extra cost, so far, of a touchscreen device.
    .. read above posts - it's been touched on (no pun intended...
    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    There does seem to be a tendency for forum users, to search for bad Microsoft news, but never look for the more positive side. A bit of a shame really,
    .. very little good news coming from Redmond TBH ...

    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    Certainly a case of hitting a dog when it down.
    No just calling a spade a spade - I for one have made positive comments on the improved kernel in 8.1... can't think of any other "positive" comments right now, however...

    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    This one, of many, for example, is worth a read:
    Windows 8
    Well if they instead of blindly going ahead and developing a touch-intensive OS, before doing some market research and pricing models on hardware .. they would not be in that situation now anyway...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post

    I still wouldn't consider it as a replacement for keyboard and mouse not to mention that big prices will still battle with consumers.
    Alternatively....



    Sorry off topic... but LMAO...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post

    I still wouldn't consider it as a replacement for keyboard and mouse not to mention that big prices will still battle with consumers.
    Alternatively....



    Sorry off topic... but LMAO...


    LOL
    But this might happen in some cases for real, sorry for those involved.
    I'm not against the technology I'm just cautious.

    What happened?
    Seems you got a too big screen or you touched too much... and now you can't touch this.

    For the moment, prices too high, older pc's still do their job well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sardonicus View Post
    If you're an older person like me, I'm sure there are a few of you that hate the thought of using a laptop and having to constantly lift your arm up to the screen to do something. I like my lazy old notebook mouse. Even a touchscreen on a desktop.....it sounds cool, but I can see one arm getting huge from the intense workout.
    Quite right Doc.(I assume it's Dr. Sardonicus). I even use a wireless mouse with my laptop because I'm too lazy to lift my hand to use the touch pad....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 1
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    I've got a 28" desktop monitor at home and will soon be going into the ~30" category (after a few more price drops.) It's easy to see how it takes approximately 1" of movement with my wrist (resting comfortably in a natural position) to move the mouse so that the cursor moves from the bottom left corner of the screen to the top right corner, traversing the full 28" distance. It's something so effortless it can almost be done unconsciously.

    If I was crazy enough to want a 28" touchscreen sans mouse instead, I'd actually have to lift my entire arm to "press" with my finger of choice near the bottom left corner, then retract my hand and move my entire arm the full 28" distance so that the finger of my choice can "press" in the top right corner of my screen. If you think that's making a lot of noise about nothing, just try that little experiment for awhile and you'll be surprised how quickly your "pointing" arm will tire. Imagine having to do that dozens/hundreds of times a day. (Imagine how much time you'd spend just cleaning your monitor & hands even if you didn't poke a hole through the monitor in a raging fit!) Although we all take them for granted, a lot of thought and engineering went into the development of the "ordinary" high-resolution optical mouse.

    I think touch screens are perfect for 5"-6" cell phones, or even for media consumption devices like tablets, because these are portable devices deliberately designed to be small and portable. But for sit-down desktop computers with comfortably large monitors designed primarily for performance, work, and even play, where portability is of no importance at all, touchscreens make no sense. Pure lunacy, imo. I once had a very brief argument with a guy who kept insisting that sitting in front of a large, perpendicular monitor and constantly traversing it with arm/hand to push buttons and gadgets all day would be no different from using a mouse. He tried something like I suggest above and then I never heard from him again on the subject...

    To this day I have no idea what Microsoft was thinking when it decided the next windows UI should be designed around touchscreens even for people who either didn't have, couldn't have, or didn't want touchscreens. Designing a touchscreen UI is OK--what's not OK is trying to force people to use a touch ui whether they like it or not.

    I like Win8x64--and I can even truthfully say I like it better than Win7. But I also have to say it's because of 3rd-party freeware developers that I am able to use Win8x64 in the way that I like--with the Explorer UI, booting to desktop, etc--and not because of Microsoft. I'm aware that Microsoft is correcting some of these incredible mistakes in "8.1", but I'm confident the company will be stubborn enough not to get them all. I want the OS I buy and use to shape itself around me as opposed to me having to conform to some nebulous UI "touch-screenish" aesthetic whether I like it or not. That's something like I'd expect to see from Apple, frankly.
    Please forgive a new poster, but it occurs to me that as an artist I work on vertical surfaces all the time, (My easel being one example). Seems to me that over time your arm gets used to the repetitive movements, and eventually it becomes the most natural way to paint or draw. I have yet to hear of any professional artist coming down with Gorilla arm. Even tennis elbow goes away as one becomes more proficient in the game. The same goes for puppeteers (I speak from experience). Working constantly with your arm elevated over your head fatigues you at first, but as you grow more dexterous the discomfort goes away. Iím wondering how much time people put into these touch interfaces before giving up. Seems to me it may simply be a matter of allowing the body to adjust to these new motions. I personally donít use windows 8, as I hate the interface.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Gibster View Post
    Please forgive a new poster, but it occurs to me that as an artist I work on vertical surfaces all the time, (My easel being one example). Seems to me that over time your arm gets used to the repetitive movements, and eventually it becomes the most natural way to paint or draw. I have yet to hear of any professional artist coming down with Gorilla arm. Even tennis elbow goes away as one becomes more proficient in the game. The same goes for puppeteers (I speak from experience). Working constantly with your arm elevated over your head fatigues you at first, but as you grow more dexterous the discomfort goes away. Iím wondering how much time people put into these touch interfaces before giving up. Seems to me it may simply be a matter of allowing the body to adjust to these new motions. I personally donít use windows 8, as I hate the interface.
    Alright. Case accepted.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Users tell Microsoft: We hate Windows 8 touchscreen PCs
Related Threads
Read more at: Microsoft offers users $100 toward Windows 8 devices with XP trade-in offer | ZDNet
I got nervous after 3 failed attempts to install the new preview, so I pulled all my Intel C600 HD controller drivers and let Windows install native drivers (read it on another forum). Guess what? It did not do squat. Hate it! So now I'm thinking what if I have a hardware issue? I need to be...
Read more at: Microsoft's Windows 8.1: When will users get the final bits? | ZDNet
Microsoft: 80 Percent of Windows 8 Users Will Have Touchscreens I don't think so.
Users tell Microsoft, keep your Windows 8 Metro apps, we don't want them Users tell Microsoft, keep your Windows 8 Metro apps, we don't want them | Computerworld Blogs
A very interesting article that summarizes a lot of the elements we have been discussing here. Will 90 percent of users always hate Windows 8? | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook