Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


One in Three Windows 8 Users Downgrade to Windows 7

  1. #31


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    I DEFINITELY saw the Ms issue on the fact that there would be NO updates for W8 once W8.1 came out -- I did think it a bit strange as IE11 is IMO still a long way off from being fit for purpose for productive or even casual use and there is no IE10 support for W8.1 either now or planned.
    If you think of it, they had to 'repay' with something the fact that 8.1 is a FREE upgrade: the older one gets terminated.
    We didn't had free upgrades until now, only service packs but those are different because the same OS is being updated.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there.

    I DEFINITELY saw the Ms issue on the fact that there would be NO updates for W8 once W8.1 came out -- I did think it a bit strange as IE11 is IMO still a long way off from being fit for purpose for productive or even casual use and there is no IE10 support for W8.1 either now or planned.

    Also seems a bit strange when laptops / PC's are being sold with what will be essentially a DEAD OS. (Don't make a mistake of thinking nobody is buying computer any more -- they STILL are -- even though of course in nothing like the volumes they used to).

    At least VISTA machines were sold with a FREE W7 upgrade before W7 was released -- I haven't heard of any policy issued with the machines that W8.1 is being released shortly and you will qualify for a free W8.1 upgrade.

    We know of course but the majority of people who buy computers don't (unfortunately) use the forums so they won't know.

    Also we don't know about users wanting to change from W7 -- will they be able to go straight from W7 to W8.1 or do they have to go via W8.

    What a Marketing disaster this whole thing is turning out to be - even if W8.1 looks likely to be more successful than W8 in nearly every way.

    I don't know whose in charge of Marketing at Ms these days -- I get the feeling they couldn't organise a booze up in a Brewery or even a Prayer meeting in the Vatican.

    To Ms -- a very old rule is : When you are in a hole STOP DIGGING !!.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I'd say if you have 7 and want 8/8.1 you're going to have to pay for it. You can clean install 8.1 so you could skip 8 altogether if you wanted, you just need a product code/license. If you already have 8, 8.1 will use your current 8 product code, embedded or not. If your PC came with 7, 8.1 is going to prompt for a product code on install. That's my take on it anyway, 8.1 is only free to those that already have 8. It wouldn't surprise me if 8.1 replaces 8 on store shelves when it comes out and 8 stops being offered for sale.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue of 8 to 8.1, especially with the new IE11 involved. Then to add more confusion 7 and 8.1 get it, but not 8?!! What's with that?!!

    I think you're correct, Kerry, for 8.1 is a new OS. It will be free to those that have 8, but others will have to buy a key. As to the support of 8, I guess that remains to be seen, but if its confusing for us what the hey is the general public going to think?

    Seems to me MS is trying to dance around their mistakes they made in 8 concerning the options to boot to Desktop and using All Apps screen instead of Start Screen to appease the "desktoppers". That's the biggest change in 8.1. IE11 added also.

    It seems to be a big marketing blunder for sure, jimbo. They created too much confusion. I think they should have either treated 8 with a SP1 for the navigational changes (which is there norm) and forget IE11 for now or given 8.1 a different name not related to 8 > 9 or whatever. They could've still offered the free upgrade from 8 if one had purchased it.

    Although I think Ms needed to change directions with their "type" of OS in targeting a new market, they sure seem to be going about it the wrong way. Why with 8 being a big change from their norm and all the bad press following, I think they need to get rid of the number 8 in the name at all cost and simply phase it out. The way they're going about it is simply asking for more bad press.

    Ballmer > Do some firing and hire someone that knows what they're doing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue of 8 to 8.1, especially with the new IE11 involved. Then to add more confusion 7 and 8.1 get it, but not 8?!! What's with that?!!
    They want to move the people away from 8 to 8.1 that's why the last one is a free upgrade. I use 8 but I will move to 8.1 when available. I don't like the idea that the Win7 Image Recovery feature got removed but that's how we move on.

    Moving a bit by force: "if you don't move away from 8.0 you will not get support and updates anymore..." there is a 2 year support. There will be those who upgrade because they like the new OS.

    And with a few old features removed and a few new features added, 8.1 is still 8.

    Don't think they'll get rid if the number 8 soon, it's a nice number.
    Critics do what they do best.

    Ballmer > Do some firing and hire someone that knows what they're doing.
    Easier said than done.
    Who knows what they're doing especially if some strict guidelines have to be followed, something like: touch stays...

    By the way:
    My old Pentium 3 which had the opportunity to run W 8.0 prev x86 is now unable to run W 8.1 prev x86 so the exclusion of old hardware will always move to a new level with a new release.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    A lot of your casual PC users that buy a new PC with 8 on it are just going to update to 8.1 though the store. That's going to be a headache for a lot of people because we all know, upgrade installs more often than not have issues. Add to that, that a lot of PC's coming out now don't have a utility to make recovery disks, you need to make a recovery drive/thumb drive. And how many people actually use the utility when its there. Usually when its too late. Microsoft, if you are listening, please give us the option to download a full Windows 8.1 ISO when it becomes final? It will make some peoples lives so much easier when things go south.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue of 8 to 8.1, especially with the new IE11 involved. Then to add more confusion 7 and 8.1 get it, but not 8?!! What's with that?!!
    They want to move the people away from 8 to 8.1 that's why the last one is a free upgrade. I use 8 but I will move to 8.1 when available. I don't like the idea that the Win7 Image Recovery feature got removed but that's how we move on.

    Moving a bit by force: "if you don't move away from 8.0 you will not get support and updates anymore..." there is a 2 year support. There will be those who upgrade because they like the new OS.

    And with a few old features removed and a few new features added, 8.1 is still 8.

    Don't think they'll get rid if the number 8 soon, it's a nice number.
    Critics do what they do best.

    Ballmer > Do some firing and hire someone that knows what they're doing.
    Easier said than done.
    Who knows what they're doing especially if some strict guidelines have to be followed, something like: touch stays...

    By the way:
    My old Pentium 3 which had the opportunity to run W 8.0 prev x86 is now unable to run W 8.1 prev x86 so the exclusion of old hardware will always move to a new level with a new release.
    I think they should have called it Windows 8 SE.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Good point Alpha,

    I hope the key from 8.0 will be allowed, one way or another, on the 8.1 ISO install as it will be through the Store.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue of 8 to 8.1, especially with the new IE11 involved. Then to add more confusion 7 and 8.1 get it, but not 8?!! What's with that?!!
    They want to move the people away from 8 to 8.1 that's why the last one is a free upgrade. I use 8 but I will move to 8.1 when available. I don't like the idea that the Win7 Image Recovery feature got removed but that's how we move on.

    Moving a bit by force: "if you don't move away from 8.0 you will not get support and updates anymore..." there is a 2 year support. There will be those who upgrade because they like the new OS.

    And with a few old features removed and a few new features added, 8.1 is still 8.

    Don't think they'll get rid if the number 8 soon, it's a nice number.
    Critics do what they do best.

    Ballmer > Do some firing and hire someone that knows what they're doing.
    Easier said than done.
    Who knows what they're doing especially if some strict guidelines have to be followed, something like: touch stays...

    By the way:
    My old Pentium 3 which had the opportunity to run W 8.0 prev x86 is now unable to run W 8.1 prev x86 so the exclusion of old hardware will always move to a new level with a new release.
    I think they should have called it Windows 8 SE.
    Good idea. :thumbup: Anything to clear up the confusion.

    And :thumbup: on your prior post. Their upgrades have always been a PITA. We need ISOs!

    What was also nice it was to install from the ISO downloaded to the hard drive. I know having the DVD around is convenient for reinstall, but from the HD there's less chance of error.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Good point Alpha,

    I hope the key from 8.0 will be allowed, one way or another, on the 8.1 ISO install as it will be through the Store.
    From what I've read, Windows 8.1 will accept your Windows 8 code, even the embedded ones. I don't think we'll know 100% until final release though. I'm hoping it works that way, I have two laptops that came with 8 factory installed. I'd just as soon do clean installs and keep the factory activation with the embedded keys. I have an MVP TechNet/MSDN subscription so I'm covered anyway. We see a lot of people looking for ISO's though so I hope Microsoft makes that an option like it is now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    They want to move the people away from 8 to 8.1 that's why the last one is a free upgrade. I use 8 but I will move to 8.1 when available. I don't like the idea that the Win7 Image Recovery feature got removed but that's how we move on.

    Moving a bit by force: "if you don't move away from 8.0 you will not get support and updates anymore..." there is a 2 year support. There will be those who upgrade because they like the new OS.

    And with a few old features removed and a few new features added, 8.1 is still 8.

    Don't think they'll get rid if the number 8 soon, it's a nice number.
    Critics do what they do best.


    Easier said than done.
    Who knows what they're doing especially if some strict guidelines have to be followed, something like: touch stays...

    By the way:
    My old Pentium 3 which had the opportunity to run W 8.0 prev x86 is now unable to run W 8.1 prev x86 so the exclusion of old hardware will always move to a new level with a new release.
    I think they should have called it Windows 8 SE.
    Good idea. :thumbup: Anything to clear up the confusion.

    And :thumbup: on your prior post. Their upgrades have always been a PITA. We need ISOs!

    What was also nice it was to install from the ISO downloaded to the hard drive. I know having the DVD around is convenient for reinstall, but from the HD there's less chance of error.
    I do all my installs from USB thumb drives. The only time I put a DVD in my drive these days is to install and play DRM protected games where you have to have the disk to play.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
One in Three Windows 8 Users Downgrade to Windows 7
Related Threads
My manager a newbie to the computer world downloaded the new windows 8.1 and she completely hates it, she didnt back up anything. She said all she did was install and clicked the microsoft agreement. Is there a easy way to downgrade ?
Downgrade to Windows 7 in Installation & Setup
hello guys. i currently have a windows 8 i want to downgrade back to windows 7. i have created a bootable dvd and usb. but when i restart the computer, the dvd wont boot. and i get confused when it comes to changing the boot order and stuff. any help on how to successfully boot the dvd/usb? :(
windows 7 downgrade Help!!!! in Installation & Setup
Hi guys im new to the forum but im looking for a bit of help ie recently downgraded from windows 8 to 7 and i now have the problem of missing drivers which are ethernet adapters and bus controllers im thinking they are still with windows 8 as i didnt do a clean install but can i wipe windows 8 and...
Solved How Do I Downgrade To Windows 7? in Installation & Setup
Hi Eight Forums, I recently got an Acer Aspire E1-571-6442 and I have been using Windows 8 for a bit to try it out. I have decided to downgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium x64, but whenever I load the setup I get this error: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT...
The title says it all. I much prefer WMP 11 but I can't seem to fire it up on Windows 8. Can anyone give me any tips?:think: Greg
windows 8 downgrade in Installation & Setup
I have an hp pavillion p7-1447c pc and wont to install a clean copy of windows but the windows 7 disc wont boot everywhere I look it talks about dual booting I just want win7 is there any way I can do this without buying new pc windows 8 was pre-installed
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook