Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft cuts Surface Pro tablet prices by $100

  1. #11


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post

    That's fine, but they're still WAY overpriced. You can get a far more powerful and functional laptop for that kind of money.
    If I wanted to spend $5-700 on a traditional laptop, I could have.

    Some people obviously don't understand that it costs money to cram ultrabook specs into a half inch, 2 lb. package.

    Yea, that's the problem....
    What problem? This fits many people's needs out there including mine. Maybe not yours cause it seems you want supercar performance for entry level sedan pricing?

    You gotta pay to play. Keep dreaming.
    Last edited by EMINENT; 05 Aug 2013 at 11:17.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 120
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass


    Maybe it's not a problem for users in their target niche, but it's a problem for Microsoft and their mobile strategy. Unless they're so delusional that they think that an pricey ultrabook in tablet form-factor is ever going to be anything but a niche, that is. Then again, they released their first generation Surface RT at ipad price levels almost three years after the first ipad was launched, so maybe delusional is exactly what they are.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Norwich, UK
    Posts : 85
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post

    That's fine, but they're still WAY overpriced. You can get a far more powerful and functional laptop for that kind of money.
    If I wanted to spend $5-700 on a traditional laptop, I could have.

    Some people obviously don't understand that it costs money to cram ultrabook specs into a half inch, 2 lb. package.
    Yea, that's the problem....
    What problem? This fits many people's needs out there including mine. Maybe not yours cause it seems you want supercar performance for entry level sedan pricing?

    You gotta pay to play. Keep dreaming.
    It's not supercar performance though, I think is the point. I bought a laptop with more or less precisely the same specs as a 64GB surface pro for £450 about 2 weeks ago, running Windows 8 Pro. The only difference is it had a bigger hard drive rather than a (I'm assuming the surface comes with one) a SSD. In what universe do 64GB SSDs cost £300? Am I paying the extra for the ability to remove the keyboard? For that matter, you can get a perfectly nice hybrid for less than that as well, if that's what you're after.

    Admittedly the Surface has some tablety bits that the laptop doesn't, such as a gyrometer and Accelerometer but again they can't cost that much, as they are in pretty much every smart phone, even the really cheap ones!

    Edit; in fact after double checking the specs, the laptop I bought actually has a much better processor. Which just adds to my point really.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post

    Yea, that's the problem....
    What problem? This fits many people's needs out there including mine. Maybe not yours cause it seems you want supercar performance for entry level sedan pricing?

    You gotta pay to play. Keep dreaming.
    It's not supercar performance though, I think is the point. I bought a laptop with more or less precisely the same specs as a 64GB surface pro for £450 about 2 weeks ago, running Windows 8 Pro. The only difference is it had a bigger hard drive rather than a (I'm assuming the surface comes with one) a SSD. In what universe do 64GB SSDs cost £300? Am I paying the extra for the ability to remove the keyboard? For that matter, you can get a perfectly nice hybrid for less than that as well, if that's what you're after.

    Admittedly the Surface has some tablety bits that the laptop doesn't, such as a gyrometer and Accelerometer but again they can't cost that much, as they are in pretty much every smart phone, even the really cheap ones!

    Edit; in fact after double checking the specs, the laptop I bought actually has a much better processor. Which just adds to my point really.
    Hi there
    120 GB SSD's even including a WALLET BUSTING 20% VAT in the UK -- around 85 GBP. No way 300 GBP !!!!! -- and you probably can't even GET 64 GB ones any more. (A manufacturer would get BULK wholesale deal on SSD's so cost to actually put into a Surface Pro is probably of the order of 25 - 30 USD's).

    I'm sure the HUGE premium charged for fitting SSD's is just purely SALES SPIEL --the GIGANTIC extra cost to the consumer certainly isn't justified in the slightest.

    I still also think that a surface PRO is rather too expensive - especially as it has an almost ZERO upgrade capability --for instance affordable 512 GB SSD's are coming out and there's even a "Semi-Affordable" 1 TB model too. A decent laptop can be had much more cheaply than a Surface Pro and a decently small one is almost just as portable.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post

    What problem? This fits many people's needs out there including mine. Maybe not yours cause it seems you want supercar performance for entry level sedan pricing?

    You gotta pay to play. Keep dreaming.
    Er, no, I don't want it, period. I will never use anything with metro on it. I have all my mobile needs satisfied nicely by android, as do most people. On the pc, it's traditional desktop environment. That also will not change... unless something truly better comes along. Sadly for microsoft... metro is not it...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    There are too many tablets out there that do more things for the same or a lesser price. Microsoft is late to the dance and what they offer doesn't compete well.

    I don't have a need to have a computer nearby everywhere I go. In fact, sometimes it's nice to be someplace without one. I have a netbook that works fine for my portable computing needs. If I were in the market for a tablet I would be shopping by capabilities, future needs, and capacity. Based on what little I know and have seen or experienced, I would not be surprised if neither Apple nor Microsoft came out the winner.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8 Professional


    Wow, seems like a lot of complaints from those that don't own a Surface.
    I own one, and I think it is fantastic. Comparing it to a laptop is a waste of time, unless you can rip the keyboard off your laptop and still use it. They are not the same. My Spousal Unit was very happy surfing with it on her lap, using the touch screen without the keyboard. She mentioned how light it is. This from the Woman that refuses to use laptops in the house, when she can use her Desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    I have a Surface Pro on my desk at work, my company paid the bill. Honestly, I don't hardly ever use the thing. Sometimes I take it with me to a meeting to write up notes. I bet I average less than 20 minutes a week using the device.

    Overall, it's a good piece of kit, and for the specs and the size the price is reasonable. But I'd much rather just use my laptop with a full size keyboard, larger screen, etc. I'm not a fan of touch interfaces, so that selling point is really lost on me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post

    What problem? This fits many people's needs out there including mine. Maybe not yours cause it seems you want supercar performance for entry level sedan pricing?

    You gotta pay to play. Keep dreaming.
    Er, no, I don't want it, period. I will never use anything with metro on it. I have all my mobile needs satisfied nicely by android, as do most people. On the pc, it's traditional desktop environment. That also will not change... unless something truly better comes along. Sadly for microsoft... metro is not it...
    As do I and it's Windows 8.1. Sadly for you...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by The Marshal View Post
    Wow, seems like a lot of complaints from those that don't own a Surface.
    I own one, and I think it is fantastic. Comparing it to a laptop is a waste of time, unless you can rip the keyboard off your laptop and still use it. They are not the same. My Spousal Unit was very happy surfing with it on her lap, using the touch screen without the keyboard. She mentioned how light it is. This from the Woman that refuses to use laptops in the house, when she can use her Desktop.

    I agree. It's fantastic. It gets everyone at work riled up when they realize all i'm doing on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Microsoft cuts Surface Pro tablet prices by $100
Related Threads
Microsoft makes latest Surface price cuts permanent | ZDNet
Microsoft's Surface tablet sold out BBC News - A look at Microsoft's Surface tablet
Source I saw a contest where the estimated retail price of the Surface RT being given away was listed as $350. A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook