Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Goodbye Windows 8, hello Windows 8.1

  1. #41


    Quote Originally Posted by alkaufmann View Post
    I did try to create a local account with administrator rights and it would not let me do that. I wanted to delete the Microsoft account log in. Considering all the e-mails I get that look like they come from the "MS Team" threatening to close my account unless I provide them all my details as well as my password, I do not consider my MS e-mail account as secure.

    When I installed 8.1 I was called by phone and given a number to enter to verify my identity. All the security in the world will not work if the Microsoft people tape their passwords to the monitor or the desk.


    The 8.1 update won't work on my machine if I am required to use a Microsoft e-mail account to log in to my machine; I have a username and a password.
    That is a strange sequence of events indeed.... NB: any email requesting to provide a password is malware - definitely wont come from M$ - your install may be corrupted if you are unable to do as I suggested above - also note when installing 8.1 just leave the email address blank and click next until you are prompted to create a local account.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    There is no way anybody at MS would ask you to send unencrypted password by mail because it could do more damage to them than to you. All the temporary numbers for verifying ownership are one time only, that's why they are so long, nobody expects to sell billions of the same product that so long a number can provide combinations for. Looks like you have been scammed here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post

    That is a strange sequence of events indeed.... NB: any email requesting to provide a password is malware - definitely wont come from M$ - your install may be corrupted if you are unable to do as I suggested above - also note when installing 8.1 just leave the email address blank and click next until you are prompted to create a local account.
    It got me mad enough that I did install it a second time and I did what you suggested, it would not install without me entering my MS e-mail account as the username and password. I entered my own username and that was a no go. I think I even tried leaving it blank. It does not really matter as I have read that the 8.1 release version will not have this problem and my spare machine is back in storage.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    There is no way anybody at MS would ask you to send unencrypted password by mail because it could do more damage to them than to you. All the temporary numbers for verifying ownership are one time only, that's why they are so long, nobody expects to sell billions of the same product that so long a number can provide combinations for. Looks like you have been scammed here.
    This was not a number to verify ownership is was a call to verify my Hotmail account and the number as only 7 digits. After I entered my MS e-mail address and password the installation program asked me to enter a number which if I do not have, they can provide me by phone text message or by phone. I choose phone because my plan has NO text messages. A few seconds later my phone rang and I was told the numbers I needed to enter. I entered those numbers and the install continued. Had I been required to enter a whole bunch of numbers, like 6 bunches of 6, I would have given up on this preview install.

    This is the first time I have ever had this type of verification happen and I have had my Hotmail e-mail address since they first came out many years ago.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8 home x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    ...
    Classic Shell (or whatever it's called these days) still works fine if you need to use that type of assistance on W8.1 (and It's FREE).
    Did you mean Classic Start Menu? I'm still using that, and like it. However, I do wonder if it might be implicated in odd task-switching behavior. One example is with Outlook 2010 (Office 2010 SP2). I keep multiple windows open, and when I pick one off of the taskbar, a different window is sometimes switched to. Tends to occur only the 1st time after the multiple windows have been created.

    May have also observed Win8 get confused when using {Alt}{Tab} to switch tasks, but not certain of that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8 home x64


    Quote Originally Posted by alkaufmann View Post
    ...This is the first time I have ever had this type of verification happen and I have had my Hotmail e-mail address since they first came out many years ago.
    That verification process is even more fun if you are trying to install software on a new computer, after a crash of a different model computer. You must then first call to state that you are not pirating the software. That call may be answered by someone in another country, where the phone connection quality is very bad ...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Not only you have to pay an insane amount of money for w8 but you have to do all this hassel???? No wonder why poeple opt for a pirated version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    Not only you have to pay an insane amount of money for w8 but you have to do all this hassel???? No wonder why poeple opt for a pirated version.
    That has always been an old argument, if it is cheap enough the pirates will pay for it. The problem is it is never cheap enough and if it is too cheap, they then say its not a good product. I pay for operating systems and I really don't want to be hassled every time I do a clean install.

    Right now I have a subscription to Office 365 and I am allowed installs on up to 5 systems and if when I format a hard drive for a clean install I can tell Microsoft Office to de-activate the install that was on the hard drive. They should offer a similar subscription to their operating system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Archer View Post
    I've not missed the Start button so it doesn't make any difference to me.
    I'm the same as you for the Start . And I like W8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 207
    Windows 8.1 update 1 Pro X64 with WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by Smart86 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Archer View Post
    I've not missed the Start button so it doesn't make any difference to me.
    I'm the same as you for the Start . And I like W8
    same here too love windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Goodbye Windows 8, hello Windows 8.1
Related Threads
After receiving nice replies after I said goodbye convinced me that I should not give up so I am back to windows 8. I don't mind eating crow. I am now using thunderbird for email & classic shell for start menu & bypassing the metro on start up. Very seldom will I have a reason to open the metro....
goodbye in General Support
A update on windows. Enough is enough!!!!!! After 2 weeks I uninstalled windows 8 & went back to windows 7. I tried to like it but life is too short. I enjoyed reading this forum & will miss it but not windows8. jimjoh
Source A Guy
Goodbye! (Until the 26th) in Chillout Room
I will be off the forums, as I have been for about 2 weeks now until the 26th! :cry: Thanks for being so nice on the forums! :thumb: ~GrantFitz
Read more at: Windows 8: It's goodbye netbooks, hello tablets | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook