Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Did we all just witness Windows start to die?

  1. #41


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    There's already a NIX OS that is a single distro and well supported called OSX and yet it's only managed some 7% market share in 12 year's of existence (surpassing Linux market share BTW). Even with all the Windows 8 "issues" people are not jumping ship, they are either staying on their current version or upgrading to 8. If they decide to jump ship it won't be to Linux, your average consumer is going to want a supported OS they are not going to go to forums looking for help.

    The Linux dream lives on.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    The Linux dream lives on.
    Yes, it certainly does. It runs Apache on the majority of web servers, it runs significant installs of mySQL databases for forums, it's responsible for the majority of BIND servers running DNS across the world wide web, it's the OS running Sendmail, the most popular and heavily used MTA's out there, and it's the core OS for a myriad of storage devices, standalone appliance servers and the root of hypervisors like vmware, etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    There's already a NIX OS that is a single distro and well supported called OSX and yet it's only managed some 7% market share in 12 year's of existence (surpassing Linux market share BTW). Even with all the Windows 8 "issues" people are not jumping ship, they are either staying on their current version or upgrading to 8. If they decide to jump ship it won't be to Linux, your average consumer is going to want a supported OS they are not going to go to forums looking for help.

    The Linux dream lives on.
    Never heard of NIX, so am downloading now to give it a try. . .Thanks. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    The Linux dream lives on.
    Yes, it certainly does. It runs Apache on the majority of web servers, it runs significant installs of mySQL databases for forums, it's responsible for the majority of BIND servers running DNS across the world wide web, it's the OS running Sendmail, the most popular and heavily used MTA's out there, and it's the core OS for a myriad of storage devices, standalone appliance servers and the root of hypervisors like vmware, etc.
    Yea, that's exactly what your average consumer would use Linux for, we've been clearly talking desktop in this thread.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    There's a HUGE difference in using SERVERS especially in an enterprise setting and normal HOME desktop users -- I'll bet there are even quite a few on THIS very forum who don't know what BIND or DNS servers are etc etc.

    Most people want a system that works STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX or if they have to install something then it should ideally be a "1-click" install. Nobody is going to want (as a home user) to have to "Load kernel modules" or start compiling stuff or run elaborate C-Shell scripts to get applications running.

    Linux isn't going to cut it for the main desktop unless it's something like ANDROID on a tablet - (or Apple's OS). Apple has problems in that it's too restrictive and Android is about as leaky as a sieve with no real desktop applications available for it yet --works fine on a mobile phone but a Desktop ?????.

    There really isn't ANY sensible competition for Windows yet -- that doesn't mean to say that ANDROID couldn't become so in the future -- the Chrome book was a decent idea but basing it entirely on Web services was a step too far for it ever to become a mainstream player.

    Apache is probably the one type of server system that a Home user might be using or have some knowledge about but the rest of the stuff ???.

    "Deam on" as a previous poster quoted.

    I've found my own solution -- I'm running Windows to Go on an external SSD with XP and W7 as VM's running on it -- response time of the VM's is actually pretty reasonable even if the SSD is connected to a USB2 slot -- on a USB 3 slot performance is very reasonable indeed - the Windows to go system is actually FASTER than the HOST system which was on a slowish spinner !!!.

    I can keep the W7 and XP VM's running for as long as I need whatever the future direction of Windows - and the Windows to Go being VL (Volume license as it's based on W8 Enterprise) won't trouble me with activations when used on different computers.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 2
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by acr731 View Post
    Its my opinion (note the word 'opinion') that the reason PC sales are suffering is because of Windows 8. Sure, tablet purchases are high, but the PC is still a very necessary piece of hardware, and is not going to go away, at least not within the next 20 years or so.

    You can't run a business and have productive employees with only tablets or smartphones; it just isn't going to happen. Name one tablet with the power to run something like AutoCAD (for architects) or Solidworks (3d design)? It doesn't exist.

    If Windows 8.2 or 8.3, or maybe even 9 or 10 is designed more for desktops rather than tablets and has the same ease of use as Win 7, PC sales will come back. And so would the sales of Windows. Corporate America is avoiding Win 8; that's why sales of Win 8 (and PC's) are suffering.
    hey, not to be a jerk but United Airlines stole the employee owned airline, stripped us of pesion, retirement, they bought Continental Airlines, threw away their custom made OS...I was squeezed out because I was one of the 2 International Government badged employees, fired the day after Christmas...Emloyees, Passengers, FAA, DOT, TSA...etc...there is big trouble in Shangrila...all because of CEO greed of Glenn Tilton...the company the word knew...got so dirty no one will touch it. I dunno about you but, Boeing is here in the USA...They train the mechanics...now...its the work is being done in places like the Phillipines.

    Anyway, IE11 doesn't let you do anything but tabs on the desktop...I liked open windows...is there a trick I can use?

    Adam
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post

    I swapped my customised Ubuntu theme into Linux Mint MATE 14 and it worked without any problems.
    Yep, that portability a good thing, especially if you got accustomed to the older themes and you have own custom versions from other OSes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    There's already a NIX OS that is a single distro and well supported called OSX and yet it's only managed some 7% market share in 12 year's of existence
    One of the funniest things I have heard in a while, thanks. Quite bizarre. In the unlikely event somebody else hadn't noticed, Apple have chosen to operate only in a particular sector.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    The Linux dream lives on.
    Yes, it certainly does. It runs Apache on the majority of web servers, it runs significant installs of mySQL databases for forums, it's responsible for the majority of BIND servers running DNS across the world wide web, it's the OS running Sendmail, the most popular and heavily used MTA's out there, and it's the core OS for a myriad of storage devices, standalone appliance servers and the root of hypervisors like vmware, etc.
    Yea, that's exactly what your average consumer would use Linux for, we've been clearly talking desktop in this thread.
    I know, I understand. it just seems people try to make Linux into something that it's not. As being discussed, for many reasons, it's not really ideal on the desktop. But just because it doesn't live and excel on the desktop, doesn't make it bad in any way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Most people want a system that works STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX or if they have to install something then it should ideally be a "1-click" install. Nobody is going to want (as a home user) to have to "Load kernel modules" or start compiling stuff or run elaborate C-Shell scripts to get applications running.
    Agreed. Too much hardware is made for Windows and OSX and that's it. No drivers, no support. Even as a Linux guy, it's rare that I have to load kernel modules manually and I don't hardly ever compile my own software anymore. Most of that stuff has improved dramatically.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    There really isn't ANY sensible competition for Windows yet -- that doesn't mean to say that ANDROID couldn't become so in the future -- the Chrome book was a decent idea but basing it entirely on Web services was a step too far for it ever to become a mainstream player.
    Agreed that there isn't a decent alternative, except for Apple and OSX. The Chromebook was never intended to be a personal computer, it's a web surfing device. Works great for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    "Deam on" as a previous poster quoted.
    I still maintain Linux isn't a dream. It works great. You gotta use it in the right location. Unfortunately, for consumer grade hardware, the vendors don't care and don't have a reason to make drivers available. Unless you are really savvy, not suitable for the desktop. < That fact doesn't bother me one bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    I can keep the W7 and XP VM's running for as long as I need whatever the future direction of Windows - and the Windows to Go being VL (Volume license as it's based on W8 Enterprise) won't trouble me with activations when used on different computers.
    There isn't a volume license key anymore for Windows. It's either KMS or MAK. The MAK key allows multiple activations, but it's certainly not unlimited.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
Related Threads
Just purchased a laptop for the wife with windows 8.1 & trying to understand it I set up live mail 2012 as her email service & pinned it to the taskbar. But when she clicks the mail tile from the start screen it ask for an account & does not start the correct program. The same is true of IE...
3 days before my Windows 8.1 pc wasn't working during log in it showed up with "The System Event Notification Service service failed the sign in." I posted this thread but no one replied then back yesterday I ran it into Safe Mode and used the CMD and put these "sfc/scannow" then the PC booted...
Read more at source: Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News
Set to Show "Start" or "Apps" View when Opening Start Screen in Windows 8.1 The Start screen is a new feature in Windows 8 and Windows RT that replaces the Start Menu from previous Windows. You can pin Store apps, programs, folders, drives, files, contacts, and websites to Start to quickly...
Hi how do i get back the start menu instead of the start screen, and I want to disable the start screen. help thanks :D andrea
Hello everyone, I just found this super small program that puts the Start Orb on the task bar. All my testing it seems very well programmed. It is free too! I really miss the Start Orb in Windows 8 and this gives me the best of both worlds. www.classicstart8.com Enjoy -WS
Hi, I have successfully managed to upgrade, add a shutdown tile on the start screen, add a classic start on the desktop screen and get the right tiles on my desktop and remove the initial screen. I have a usable OS on my laptop again and it may sound strange but I like both interfaces and use...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook