Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft Should Keep Both Windows 7 and Windows 8

  1. #11


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    What bothers me is that the recent major "developments" they were doing were mostly for those apps.

    Apps,apps,apps,apps! They can't get enough of those.

    I have no interest for those on my Desktop. And I really loathe the fact that little do they seem to mention the Desktop part and that there is no more SP2 for Windows 7.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    Yeah they should continue to support Windows 7. They should even release a Service Pack 2 for that but we know that's not gonna happen after their statement saying there won't be an SP2 for Windows 7 and that they'll just continue to support it with rolls of updates. They can't let anything hinder Windows 8 which right now is not doing as well on the sales as they expected.
    What purpose would a SP2 be for Win 7. If all you are looking for are the updates MS has a page that contains all the updates that have been put out to date. You can download an ISO that can be used to do the updates vs going online. With the ISO you can determine which updates you want or don't want. The ISO can be used across the all flavors of Windows OSs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    What purpose would a SP2 be for Win 7
    The same purpose any sp serves. It is much more convenient to have install media with it all included. MS remove the superseded stuff too. That is why they do them.

    In addition to security fixes, an sp will usually include some additional features/enhancements. MS haven't been wasting their time with all the sps they have done over the years, they are clearly of great value to the users.

    Not sure why you are asking, you already knew that.

    With the ISO you can determine which updates you want or don't want
    How ? I haven't looked at it , but I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least 500 in there.

    I only need 130. There are a variety of people producing special update lists to try and reduce the burden, geeks only need apply.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    I'd like to see a service pack for Win 7 which contains all the good bits from Win 8, like the new file transfer setup, the new task manager, the improved right-click menu in the bottom left corner, Hyper-V etc. But NO METRO. At all.

    That would make Win 7 into what Win 8 should have been, and both the 7-lovers and the 'I like 8 but not Metro' crowd will be happy.

    They should then totally scrap the idea of forcing 8.1 onto desktop users and concentrate on developing it exclusively for tablets/phones, where it's best suited.

    Not going to happen, of course, but it's what should happen. Should already have happened, in fact.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I'd like to see a service pack for Win 7 which contains all the good bits from Win 8, like the new file transfer setup, the new task manager, the improved right-click menu in the bottom left corner, Hyper-V etc. But NO METRO. At all.

    That would make Win 7 into what Win 8 should have been, and both the 7-lovers and the 'I like 8 but not Metro' crowd will be happy.

    They should then totally scrap the idea of forcing 8.1 onto desktop users and concentrate on developing it exclusively for tablets/phones, where it's best suited.

    Not going to happen, of course, but it's what should happen. Should already have happened, in fact.


    Wenda.
    Wenda, now why do that? If they did then there would be no reason for win 8 or 8.2.

    R/. . . know, I know, that would be good because win 8 is just a bunch of B.S. that should have never been put out to start with. . .\R
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    know, I know, that would be good because win 8 is just a bunch of B.S. that should have never been put out to start with.
    Now, where did I say that?

    In fact (from a post of mine on another thread): "there really isn't anything seriously wrong with 8, and some of the claims I've read are, indeed, ludicrous. I actually prefer 8 to 8.1 because of the latter's overt net-centricity, which I do not like and will not be embracing." and "I will be upgrading my PC (laptop) within the next two years or so. And I (Shock! Horror!) own an Android tablet and a smart-phone.

    But then, I did pony-up for a retail copy of Win 8 Pro, so I haven't contributed to any slump there.




    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What purpose would a SP2 be for Win 7.
    Were I to venture a guess, and I will, it would serve a considerably larger purpose, for considerably more people, than win 8's sp1(aka 8.1) served.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    If many corporations are using Windows 7 and its much easier to expect that those corporations that are still on XP will have Windows 7 as their next choice of upgrade, then the more reason, Microsoft should pack a Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. It will be good if they included some good bits from Windows 8, but they'll never do that, nevertheless, a new service pack should contain improvements because there is always room for that.

    It could also save a lot of time than manually configuring security/stability updates for a hundred workstation PCs. A team of ITs can take care of that in one day, after the employees have gone home if each of them would have a copy of the SP2 bundle. They could even put the SP2 bundle on a shared network drive, to be accessed and copied to all the network PCs that need them.

    But I just hate the fact, that MS will rather prioritize Windows 8 with the apps, apps, apps, apps for that. M$ is likely to do what they can in their power to make Windows 7 old and obsolete.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 47
    Win 8 (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    If many corporations are using Windows 7 and its much easier to expect that those corporations that are still on XP will have Windows 7 as their next choice of upgrade, then the more reason, Microsoft should pack a Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. It will be good if they included some good bits from Windows 8, but they'll never do that, nevertheless, a new service pack should contain improvements because there is always room for that.

    It could also save a lot of time than manually configuring security/stability updates for a hundred workstation PCs. A team of ITs can take care of that in one day, after the employees have gone home if each of them would have a copy of the SP2 bundle. They could even put the SP2 bundle on a shared network drive, to be accessed and copied to all the network PCs that need them.

    But I just hate the fact, that MS will rather prioritize Windows 8 with the apps, apps, apps, apps for that. M$ is likely to do what they can in their power to make Windows 7 old and obsolete.
    Hey Vertex... relax Windows 7 will be the next XP. Microsoft 7 support end on 2020 but I bet that they will be forced to extend it.
    If you buy a new PC/Laptop with 8 on board you can still downgrade to 7.
    People that didn't like Win 8, I'm pretty sure, won't like Win 8.1 'cause there's NOTHING seriously improvement about the classic desktop experience.
    Microsoft is very sensible to the market... let's see what will be their next step after the Win 8.1 flop!

    P.S. Maybe a Ballmer's substitute??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Quote Originally Posted by pulsar68 View Post

    Hey Vertex... relax Windows 7 will be the next XP. Microsoft 7 support end on 2020 but I bet that they will be forced to extend it.
    If you buy a new PC/Laptop with 8 on board you can still downgrade to 7.
    People that didn't like Win 8, I'm pretty sure, won't like Win 8.1 'cause there's NOTHING seriously improvement about the classic desktop experience.
    Microsoft is very sensible to the market... let's see what will be their next step after the Win 8.1 flop!

    P.S. Maybe a Ballmer's substitute??
    Well XP had 3 service packs. Just wanna see more for Windows 7 and yes 2020 is still some time to go.

    And about Ballmer's replacement, they should have replaced him long ago lol
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Microsoft Should Keep Both Windows 7 and Windows 8
Related Threads
Read more at: Microsoft inches closer to a unified Windows and Windows Phone Store | ZDNet
Windows Blue shows why Microsoft may turn Windows into a subscription service Windows Blue shows why Microsoft may turn Windows into a subscription service | Computerworld Blogs
Read more at source: Microsoft's Lync and OneNote apps for Windows 8, Windows RT now in Windows Store | ZDNet See also: How to Install Metro Apps from Windows 8 Store
Read more at: How Microsoft is killing off the Zune and Windows Live brands in Windows 8 | The Verge
More - Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 Embedded, There’s a Trend at Microsoft - Softpedia
More - Windows 8 (Windows vNext) Riskiest Product Bet for Microsoft - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook