Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


A look at the black underbelly of Windows 8.1 'Blue'

  1. #1

    A look at the black underbelly of Windows 8.1 'Blue'


    As Windows 8.1 Milestone Preview testers push and prod their way into the dark corners of Windows 8.1 "Blue," they're finding a bunch of things that go bump in the night. From new and likely unwelcome features, to nudges into the Microsoft data tracking sphere, to entire lopped-off pieces of Windows 8, it looks like Microsoft is changing Windows to further its own agenda.
    Microsoft Accounts bare its fangs
    With Windows 8, you're encouraged to set up every new Windows user with a Microsoft Account -- which is to say, it's easy to set up a new user by employing an email address that's been registered with Microsoft. It's possible to create a new Win8 user without providing a Microsoft Account, but you need to click a few rather obscure links in the setup routine to get around the restriction.
    If I were to speculate, I'd say that Microsoft ripped out the Facebook and Flickr parts of Metro Photos and, in a hurry, took out SkyDrive and network folder support. It's inconceivable to me that Microsoft would release a Metro Photos app without copious connections to SkyDrive -- if only to sell more SkyDrive space.
    About the same time this observation hit the fan, Microsoft announced, quite unexpectedly, that Facebook would finally build a Metro Facebook app.
    I think we're seeing a quid pro quo in action -- Facebook finally agrees to join the Windows Store and, in exchange, Microsoft agrees to drop Facebook integration from Metro Photos. If true, might other Microsoft Metro apps follow suit? And where's the Metro Flickr app?
    Times really have changed if Facebook can arm-wrestle Microsoft into submission.
    A look at the black underbelly of Windows 8.1 'Blue' | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Warning
    In order to use Windows 8.1 Preview you must sign in to your PC with a Microsoft account. The option to create a local account will be made available at the final release of Windows 8.1.
    This one gets a major "wow" from me. I will never ever do such a thing. Not ever.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 142
    Win 7 Pro x64


    The option to create a local account is in place now. All you have to do is make sure the PC or laptop isn't connected to the internet during the OS installation and you will be prompted to create a local account. This option isn't available if you are connected, and you will be forced to log in with a Microsoft email account.

    Disclaimer: I'm not a Win8 / 8.1 supporter and I have no plans to use this garbage. But the info might be helpful to someone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    It looks like WEI is gone.
    Nobody knows for sure -- and Microsoft hasn't commented at all -- but it appears the WEI is dead. Nazmus Khandaker on the McAkins Online blog puts it this way:
    Microsoft removed the Experience Index from Windows RT but kept it on the original release of Windows 8 in October of 2012. However with Windows 8.1, Microsoft has decided to kill off the Experience Index completely. I have tested this on several PCs (touch and non-touch). Before upgrading my PCs, I was able to view the Experience Index on Windows 8.0. After upgrading to Windows 8.1, they were no longer present.
    One possible reason for its sudden disappearance: The lofty and expensive Microsoft Surface Pro gets a 5.6 on the WEI scale. That would've been a good score three or four years ago on a middle-of-the-road PC. I have an old single-core i3 machine with a Windows 8 WEI of 7.0.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by acr731 View Post
    The option to create a local account is in place now. All you have to do is make sure the PC or laptop isn't connected to the internet during the OS installation and you will be prompted to create a local account. This option isn't available if you are connected, and you will be forced to log in with a Microsoft email account.

    Disclaimer: I'm not a Win8 / 8.1 supporter and I have no plans to use this garbage. But the info might be helpful to someone.
    No, that's not true. All you have to do is enter a bad email address first, then it will give you the option.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 142
    Win 7 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acr731 View Post
    The option to create a local account is in place now. All you have to do is make sure the PC or laptop isn't connected to the internet during the OS installation and you will be prompted to create a local account. This option isn't available if you are connected, and you will be forced to log in with a Microsoft email account.

    Disclaimer: I'm not a Win8 / 8.1 supporter and I have no plans to use this garbage. But the info might be helpful to someone.
    No, that's not true. All you have to do is enter a bad email address first, then it will give you the option.
    I did that 3 times and never received the option. I gave up and started the installation again and discovered what I wrote. Its one of those "things that make you go WTF?" moment.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    india
    Posts : 101
    Windows 8 pro with WMC x86 & windows Blue preview x86 with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    It looks like WEI is gone.
    Nobody knows for sure -- and Microsoft hasn't commented at all -- but it appears the WEI is dead. Nazmus Khandaker on the McAkins Online blog puts it this way:
    Microsoft removed the Experience Index from Windows RT but kept it on the original release of Windows 8 in October of 2012. However with Windows 8.1, Microsoft has decided to kill off the Experience Index completely. I have tested this on several PCs (touch and non-touch). Before upgrading my PCs, I was able to view the Experience Index on Windows 8.0. After upgrading to Windows 8.1, they were no longer present.
    One possible reason for its sudden disappearance: The lofty and expensive Microsoft Surface Pro gets a 5.6 on the WEI scale. That would've been a good score three or four years ago on a middle-of-the-road PC. I have an old single-core i3 machine with a Windows 8 WEI of 7.0.
    it was destined to be vanished. because no one would like some wei above of 9.9 or whatever...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by acr731 View Post
    I did that 3 times and never received the option. I gave up and started the installation again and discovered what I wrote. Its one of those "things that make you go WTF?" moment.
    By bad, I mean not a valid email format.. like just putting asfdasdfdf in there. Not entering something like nobody@nowhere.com
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    So not that bad ! Still surviving !

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    It looks like WEI is gone.
    Nobody knows for sure -- and Microsoft hasn't commented at all -- but it appears the WEI is dead. Nazmus Khandaker on the McAkins Online blog puts it this way:
    Microsoft removed the Experience Index from Windows RT but kept it on the original release of Windows 8 in October of 2012. However with Windows 8.1, Microsoft has decided to kill off the Experience Index completely. I have tested this on several PCs (touch and non-touch). Before upgrading my PCs, I was able to view the Experience Index on Windows 8.0. After upgrading to Windows 8.1, they were no longer present.
    One possible reason for its sudden disappearance: The lofty and expensive Microsoft Surface Pro gets a 5.6 on the WEI scale. That would've been a good score three or four years ago on a middle-of-the-road PC. I have an old single-core i3 machine with a Windows 8 WEI of 7.0.
    it was destined to be vanished. because no one would like some wei above of 9.9 or whatever...
    It was very seldom used and was next to meaningless. Agreed
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
A look at the black underbelly of Windows 8.1 'Blue'
Related Threads
I've having an issue that I think some ppl had, windows 8 crashing going to blue screen of death or blank black screen and then it restarts by itself, also I have noticed that it says repairing disk in D:/ I have one SSD 120gb in the C:/ which it host the operating system and some minnor...
Hello, So on my computer, something strange happens when I uninstall UxStyle. It has broken my Windows install once and it has done it again. The first time, I kept on doing system restores to see what was the problem that made that black screen. After trial and error, I narrowed it down to...
Solved Black screen ( not blue ) after boot logo in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello all, I have a problem (obviously) with my computer.. This computer is a new rig and even though i've been having Blue screens of Death at the beginning ( fixed through forum troubleshooting ), everything's been running perfectly. Here are the specs to my computer running Windows 8 Pro ...
Solved Black Screen w/ Blue Bar in General Support
Hey Everyone :) Sorry about posting a problem as my first post, but I hope to contribute to the community in the future! I'm just currently having an issue with a family friends computer and am not too sure what the solution might be. Here's the run down (with an attachment): I am able to log...
Hi all, Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm new to this forum. My Dad got a Windows 8 computer about a month ago and up til now it has worked okay. Today when he turned it on, all he got was this screen: 14116 Sorry the quality is poor, I had to use my iPod camera... Basically...
Bought windows 8 upgrade, and ran it on Windows 7, I made an ISO boot CD and USB jic.. I used the upgrade assistant setup, and it went through the install, rebooted and came to a black screen with the blue tile logo, and and stayed there for hours.. Formatted hard drive, and attempted to boot...
flashing black and blue screen in Installation & Setup
OK so i just installed win8 it seemed to be doing OK and then it did the first boot up and the screen was flashing all different colors well it gave me the first run tutorial which didn't seem to be working right i tried to reboot looked good then i got a flashing black and blue screen and now...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook