Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


A look at the black underbelly of Windows 8.1 'Blue'

  1. #11


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acr731 View Post
    The option to create a local account is in place now. All you have to do is make sure the PC or laptop isn't connected to the internet during the OS installation and you will be prompted to create a local account. This option isn't available if you are connected, and you will be forced to log in with a Microsoft email account.

    Disclaimer: I'm not a Win8 / 8.1 supporter and I have no plans to use this garbage. But the info might be helpful to someone.
    No, that's not true. All you have to do is enter a bad email address first, then it will give you the option.
    Yep!

    That worked for me. No problems at all.

    As an aside, I did experiment with an install the other day using my MS (Hotmail) account. It worked without any problems. I then attempted to create a local account from within Windows. I was able to do so, and was able to set it as an Admin account. But every second thing you try to do, you must get permission (enter password) from the MS account.

    Annoying way beyond words (at least, beyond words I'm allowed to use on here), and totally counter-productive and pointless. It's like a form of UAC, but it is yourself you must seek permission from, not the UAC. And you get stuck with the unwanted and unused Sky-Drive rubbish, whereas when using a local account from the start you never even get to see it if you don't want to. I gave up in disgust, and did the current install using the dodgy email address, and the fault (and I believe it is a fault) went away.

    Strangely, if you do a local a/c install, and THEN create/log-in with an MS a/c, the Sky-drive rubbish comes back, but once logged back into the local a/c it goes away. Do it the other way around, and the local a/c is hopelessly 'nobbled', and is WAY more frustrating than UAC ever was, even Vista's UAC and that''s saying something!

    Sorry MS, but, whether this is a bug or whether it's intentional, this is a fail, and I do hope it's rectified in the RTM.


    Wenda.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    It's better to stay with Win 8 than using preview with " Local account" because some features won't function.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    It's better to stay with Win 8 than using preview with " Local account" because some features won't function.
    Yes, but I really don't feel that vulnerable using a MS account in 8.1. What annoys me is the synchronization option turned on by default.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    It's better to stay with Win 8 than using preview with " Local account" because some features won't function.

    The only 'feature' that isn't 'working' on my local a/c installation is Sky-Drive.

    And I'm fine with that, because I don't want it, and won't use it.

    Everything else works fine, as it did in W8.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    I don't use SkyDrive all that much so it's not a big deal to me. I do like having it available when I need to transfer a file to a friend or group of friends and it's too large for an e-mail attachment.

    I rather like the automatic synchronization of settings bewteen Windows 8 machines. When I set up my second Windows 8.1 machine it ended up looking just like the first one. Some things, like Windows Store apps, didn't seem to sync up, so maybe it only synchronizes settings like the desktop background and other "look and feel" items. It's not a big deal one way or the other.

    I had not noticed the inability to use a local account in 8.1 but that's interesting. I hope they fix that in the final release: they almost have to if they expect any ultimate adoption of Windows 8.1 in the business world.

    It's hard to judge the final product on a preview version, but let's hope MS is paying attention and that they're going to fix these issues in the final release. If they don't, they might be scrambling to get "8.2" out there to satisfy a lot of unhappy customers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    It's better to stay with Win 8 than using preview with " Local account" because some features won't function.

    The only 'feature' that isn't 'working' on my local a/c installation is Sky-Drive.

    And I'm fine with that, because I don't want it, and won't use it.

    Everything else works fine, as it did in W8.


    Wenda.
    Frequent sites and Calendar not working for me.

    EDIT: Correction, enabling suggested sites in Internet Options made Frequent sites to work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 142
    Win 7 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acr731 View Post
    I did that 3 times and never received the option. I gave up and started the installation again and discovered what I wrote. Its one of those "things that make you go WTF?" moment.
    By bad, I mean not a valid email format.. like just putting asfdasdfdf in there. Not entering something like nobody@nowhere.com
    Ok, I understand; I didn't try it that way. Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 142
    Win 7 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post

    It was very seldom used and was next to meaningless. Agreed

    I always found it quite useless. I have a top end Alienware laptop with SSD's, 16gb of fast DDR3 memory, and top end dual graphics cards. My WEI is listed at 6.3, which I find absolutely ridiculous.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I don't think it was great deal of use either. Nevertherless, the reason for it's removal may well be this:

    One possible reason for its sudden disappearance: The lofty and expensive Microsoft Surface Pro gets a 5.6 on the WEI scale.
    That would have been unwelcome - good reason for MS to get rid of it.

    I did notice there was no S3 sleep option - until I installed the nvidia drivers. (Clean install - don't waste your breath posting up it worked for you after in-pace upgrade )

    Interestingly that is what happens with Vista - I need to install the nvidia drivers, then run wei - only after that does S3 function.

    Win 7 doesn't suffer from that "feature"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    you guys and gals need to buy an old dell OptiPlex 745,. everything works great ,on both 7&8 & 8.1 ,never mine those new fangled comps with video card and stuff, danged thing I got nutting to complain about ,

    just kidding of course
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
A look at the black underbelly of Windows 8.1 'Blue'
Related Threads
I've having an issue that I think some ppl had, windows 8 crashing going to blue screen of death or blank black screen and then it restarts by itself, also I have noticed that it says repairing disk in D:/ I have one SSD 120gb in the C:/ which it host the operating system and some minnor...
Hello, So on my computer, something strange happens when I uninstall UxStyle. It has broken my Windows install once and it has done it again. The first time, I kept on doing system restores to see what was the problem that made that black screen. After trial and error, I narrowed it down to...
Solved Black screen ( not blue ) after boot logo in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello all, I have a problem (obviously) with my computer.. This computer is a new rig and even though i've been having Blue screens of Death at the beginning ( fixed through forum troubleshooting ), everything's been running perfectly. Here are the specs to my computer running Windows 8 Pro ...
Solved Black Screen w/ Blue Bar in General Support
Hey Everyone :) Sorry about posting a problem as my first post, but I hope to contribute to the community in the future! I'm just currently having an issue with a family friends computer and am not too sure what the solution might be. Here's the run down (with an attachment): I am able to log...
Hi all, Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm new to this forum. My Dad got a Windows 8 computer about a month ago and up til now it has worked okay. Today when he turned it on, all he got was this screen: 14116 Sorry the quality is poor, I had to use my iPod camera... Basically...
Bought windows 8 upgrade, and ran it on Windows 7, I made an ISO boot CD and USB jic.. I used the upgrade assistant setup, and it went through the install, rebooted and came to a black screen with the blue tile logo, and and stayed there for hours.. Formatted hard drive, and attempted to boot...
flashing black and blue screen in Installation & Setup
OK so i just installed win8 it seemed to be doing OK and then it did the first boot up and the screen was flashing all different colors well it gave me the first run tutorial which didn't seem to be working right i tried to reboot looked good then i got a flashing black and blue screen and now...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook