Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


New Search Ad Experiences within Windows 8.1

  1. #21


    Posts : 26
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64


    Quote Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
    Did anyone at Microsoft ask users if this is something they want?
    Why would they? Microsoft knows better what we want.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 17
    Windows 8 Pro and RT


    Maybe this is all part of a new Nascar default theme.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    If you use Google or Bing in your browser you get ads. All MS did was include Bing in the 8.1 search feature and you can turn off the Bing search with a simple option. Its not a big deal, just turn it off.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Quote Originally Posted by Sygnus21
    So when searching for say the control panel, in addition to finding it on the PC, you'll also get some on-line search results....
    Yeah, how relevant is it, heh?!
    Why do they think that if I search for a file in my computer, I may want to find it on the internet?
    By chance I may have uploaded it to my website and delete it from my computer by mistake...? Seriousely.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Literally the very first thing I did was to disable this rubbish.

    I'll decide where I want to search and when, not MS or anyone else.

    The funny thing is that, prior to MS pulling this stunt, I'd been considering switching to
    Bing because of privacy and push-advertising concerns re Google.

    Not any more...


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygnus21
    So when searching for say the control panel, in addition to finding it on the PC, you'll also get some on-line search results....
    Yeah, how relevant is it, heh?!
    Why do they think that if I search for a file in my computer, I may want to find it on the internet?
    By chance I may have uploaded it to my website and delete it from my computer by mistake...? Seriousely.
    It's just an integrated search. If I want, I can just as easily use it to search my PC as I could to search the Internet. What's not to like about that

    Obviously if you know you're looking for it on the PC you can just ignore the internet results. I see nothing wrong with the feature myself. To each his own though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Wenda,
    You could try this:
    We don't collect any personal information on our visitors. Nada. Zilch. Zero.
    https://startpage.com/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Compensation


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Anyway this doesn't really come as surprise as I figured this was coming anyway with the Windows 8 live tiles. It's just part of being live all the time, and Microsoft stands to make millions, if not billions in advertisements.
    Some people (on this forum) "abused" me for saying this ~1 year ago.

    It's "compensation" for the default IE setting that MS introduced that upset all of the parasitic advertising scum (like Mike Zaneis).
    Microsoft sticks to default Do Not Track settings in IE 10 | ZDNet

    There was a "big stink" when Ubuntu introduced a similar system (last year or early this year).
    I think it has been modified in the latest release.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Anyway this doesn't really come as surprise as I figured this was coming anyway with the Windows 8 live tiles. It's just part of being live all the time, and Microsoft stands to make millions, if not billions in advertisements.
    Some people (on this forum) "abused" me for saying this ~1 year ago.

    It's "compensation" for the default IE setting that MS introduced that upset all of the parasitic advertising scum (like Mike Zaneis).
    Microsoft sticks to default Do Not Track settings in IE 10 | ZDNet

    There was a "big stink" when Ubuntu introduced a similar system (last year or early this year).
    I think it has been modified in the latest release.
    Well next thing we know, IT departments and users will be sued for using DNT (Do Not Track) software. I kid of course, but who knows where the line ends with this?

    Anyway tracking can be both a curse and a blessing - curse because of all the advertisements thrown your way, blessing because your settings are always saved whenever you log into something.

    It comes down to balance I suppose. As I said, I simply ignore the advertisements by not clicking them. BTW I have my DNT setting turned off; they're find a way around it anyway; its too much money at stake.

    Here's the settings for those wanting to check or enable (Tools, Tracking)....

    Click image for larger version

    Double click Disabled, or click Settings below to get this...

    Click image for larger version

    Check the Automatically Block box. Good luck

    As you can see, you can also add "content", whatever that means.

    And you were about what you felt...

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Some people (on this forum) "abused" me for saying this ~1 year ago.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Wenda,
    You could try this:
    We don't collect any personal information on our visitors. Nada. Zilch. Zero.
    https://startpage.com/
    It just looks like a repackaged google custom search for the intention of serving google ads to me
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
New Search Ad Experiences within Windows 8.1
Related Threads
Windows 8.1 Search Charm doesn't search for shortcuts (.lnk) by default. Does anybody knows how to make it do so?
First tried out IE10 by selecting the IE tile. Did not like the resulting screen. Didn't really see any options anywhere. Migrated IE9 settings from Win7, imported them into IE10 (on the desktop), launched IE10 from the desktop -- able to see the favorites, cookies, etc. Relaunched IE10...
I hope this thread will help others who experience the same problems installing to a Vertex SSD Problem 1 When installing Windows Developer it was not possible to format the SSD. error 0x80300024 (it was also not possible to carry out any other formatting options) Answer Wipe the SSD...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook