Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want

  1. #61


    Quote Originally Posted by McRuff View Post
    I know this is Microsoft's dream, but we are not going to give up without a fight. My prediction is their dream will more then likely turn into a nightmare.

    Not all of us are Quislings.
    Well, think about it this way. Where are you going to go if MS ultimately won't yield? Mac? Macs are beautiful pieces of machinery with little practical purposes. Most softwares, particularly those for businesses and honest to god real work (I'm not talking about brain dead blogging), are written for windows.

    Linux? Your productivity will take a nose dive. Why? Because you will have to google for everything you want to do. I happen to know for a fact that Linux forums aren't that helpful either. They are full of 1337s that get annoyed at every question you ask. I've been told by these Linux 1337s that I'm stupid and should go kill myself.

    May be you could go back to dos?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McRuff View Post
    I know this is Microsoft's dream, but we are not going to give up without a fight. My prediction is their dream will more then likely turn into a nightmare.

    Not all of us are Quislings.
    Well, think about it this way. Where are you going to go if MS ultimately won't yield? Mac? Macs are beautiful pieces of machinery with little practical purposes. Most softwares, particularly those for businesses and honest to god real work (I'm not talking about brain dead blogging), are written for windows.

    Linux? Your productivity will take a nose dive. Why? Because you will have to google for everything you want to do. I happen to know for a fact that Linux forums aren't that helpful either. They are full of 1337s that get annoyed at every question you ask. I've been told by these Linux 1337s that I'm stupid and should go kill myself.

    May be you could go back to dos?
    M$ is having a hard time killing off XP they haven't killed there Vista flop how long do you think Windows 7 will last?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    Posts : 92
    Windows 10 (64 bit)


    Microsoft's "dream" may turn out to be the desktop user's nightmare. But if Microsoft does not come to its senses their are other choices developing such as Linux.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McRuff View Post
    I know this is Microsoft's dream, but we are not going to give up without a fight. My prediction is their dream will more then likely turn into a nightmare.

    Not all of us are Quislings.
    Well, think about it this way. Where are you going to go if MS ultimately won't yield? Mac? Macs are beautiful pieces of machinery with little practical purposes. Most softwares, particularly those for businesses and honest to god real work (I'm not talking about brain dead blogging), are written for windows.

    Linux? Your productivity will take a nose dive. Why? Because you will have to google for everything you want to do. I happen to know for a fact that Linux forums aren't that helpful either. They are full of 1337s that get annoyed at every question you ask. I've been told by these Linux 1337s that I'm stupid and should go kill myself.

    May be you could go back to dos?
    M$ is having a hard time killing off XP they haven't killed there Vista flop how long do you think Windows 7 will last?
    Oh, I've no doubt that windows 7 will last a very long time. What's your point?

    Labeeman, I'm having trouble understanding your view. It seem to me like you keep holding onto this view of all or nothing. What's wrong with people holding onto old software? You have a choice as a consumer. You can use any OS you want. Heck, no one is stopping you from using dos if you really want to.

    That's why all the whinings have been getting to me lately. People sound like someone is holding a gun to their head forcing them to use the evil metro start screen. It's simply not the case at all. People can use xp, vista, 7, dos, 95, etc. They can use anything they want.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by acr731 View Post

    That's one of the things I dislike about Win 8/8.1. Is it really that difficult to add the option to switch to a desktop with Win 7 functionality and appearance for those that prefer that look? If they did that one little thing I would switch to Win 8, and I assume many others would do the same. Why are they being buttheads and refusing to put it in Win 8 and 8.1?
    That's what truly perplexes me. Why not just make the choice available..?? They would turn all this angst into positive feelings, positive reviews...
    Wtf is wrong with these guys..?? What are they thinking..??
    I really don't get it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Microsoft's "dream" may turn out to be the desktop user's nightmare. But if Microsoft does not come to its senses their are other choices developing such as Linux.
    In the mobile market Android (Linux) is attempting to go desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Microsoft's "dream" may turn out to be the desktop user's nightmare. But if Microsoft does not come to its senses their are other choices developing such as Linux.
    What nightmare are you referring to? I am currently coding on an i7 machine with two 24-inch HD monitors running 8 pro. Works fine to me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Microsoft's "dream" may turn out to be the desktop user's nightmare. But if Microsoft does not come to its senses their are other choices developing such as Linux.
    In the mobile market Android (Linux) is attempting to go desktop.
    Have you actually tried to use android for real serious work environment?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

    Labeeman, I'm having trouble understanding your view. It seem to me like you keep holding onto this view of all or nothing. What's wrong with people holding onto old software? You have a choice as a consumer. You can use any OS you want. Heck, no one is stopping you from using dos if you really want to.

    That's why all the whinings have been getting to me lately. People sound like someone is holding a gun to their head forcing them to use the evil metro start screen. It's simply not the case at all. People can use xp, vista, 7, dos, 95, etc. They can use anything they want.
    My view is the same as M$ all or nothing I do not like being forced to there agenda when user choice is all that is needed.
    M$ has spent quite a sum on adds due to no choice, word of mouth is hard to buy and they have not bought me off yet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Microsoft's "dream" may turn out to be the desktop user's nightmare. But if Microsoft does not come to its senses their are other choices developing such as Linux.
    In the mobile market Android (Linux) is attempting to go desktop.
    Have you actually tried to use android for real serious work environment?
    I have no android devices but they are selling much better than RT.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want
Related Threads
Like many others I was not to excited about the new windows 8. I particularly did not like the boot to the start screen and getting to some of the features that I was familiar with. Over the years having gone thru all the different operating systems ending up with Windows 7 Pro I was a happy...
Ok I was finally able to burn the 8.1 ISO to a DVD. However, when I went to do a "refresh" from the recovery screen it says no media available. I have been using Windows for a lot of years, and this has been the most frustrated I have ever been. How can I do a "Refresh" with the ISO mounted to a...
Hi there while not totally 100% "Desktop friendly" It's certainly good enough for what I need - especially with Boot directly to desktop. I've also been messing around with one of those Thin Ultrabooks with a touch screen -- Windows 8.1 is fine as well on this. Actually I'm beginning to come...
Microsoft Claims That Windows 8 Is Finally Taking Off Ahead of 8.1 RTM Launch
With Windows Blue, Microsoft may (finally) do the right thing With Windows Blue, Microsoft may (finally) do the right thing | ZDNet
Hello there folks! I have had this quite annoying problem for arround three weeks now. My PC crashes Usually when playing games, but sometimes when I am just at the desktop I have almost concluded that the problem is one of my graphicscards. But today, after a fresh install I finally got a...
Read more at source: Hands on with Windows RT (finally) | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook