Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want

  1. #91


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Mystere, you sound more and more like a fanboi by the day.
    And you sound like someone that can't refute facts, and must resort to the "Nya nya nya I can't hear you" method of argument. My argument is based on facts, actual sales figures and projected sales figures by industry accepted third parties. Your argument appears to be based on burying your head in the sand and pretending the entire industry isn't actually shifting away from what you believe.

    Regardless of whether or not Windows 8 succeeds doesn't change the fact that the industry is moving away from the desktop. Regardless of whether or not Windows 8 succeeds doesn't change the fact that the desktops days are numbered. If you don't believe that, you simply are not paying attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I'm getting rather tired of the patronising attitude that you, and some others, display towards those who don't share your/MS' 'vision'.

    Just accept that there are many who won't play that game, and stop running them down. They are not wrong, or 'luddites' or 'won't adapt'. What they are, is realistic.
    You are VERY wrong if you believe that Microsoft will change course and abandon their strategy for any reason. You are VERY wrong if you believe the Desktop will play major factor in OS design in the next few years, from ANY vendor.. not just Microsoft. You are VERY wrong if you don't think that the Desktop market is shrinking and going to be replaced by mobile devices.

    Being realistic does not involve ignoring facts and pretending things aren't changing. If you were realistic, you would understand that change is necessary for a lot of reasons, and be willing to adapt to it because you understand your opinions will be in the minority.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    The desktop will live as long as there are brain-dead consumers to consume the content we will be creating. Because they sure won't be creating much themselves. I'll certainly still be computing and creating on a desktop/laptop long after most tablets are land-fill. And powerful desktop/laptops will still be around long after you and I have become land-fill. Maybe not in every home, but certainly in many.
    That doesn't mean the mainstream OS has to support them, now does it? It doesn't mean the mainstream OS has to be designed with their needs as a priority, does it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    The real 'evolutionary dead-end' is the one you and MS love so much... A future where no-one has the skills or equipment needed to create anything, but only suck up 'push programming' from 'big content'. It almost seems sometimes to be a deliberate strategy to decrease computer-literacy, to me.

    That's no future, AFAIC, and it is NOT computing any more than watching TV makes you a movie director.
    Have you looked at the Windows store? How many of the apps in there are created by large corporations? A very small amount of them. The vast majority of those apps are created by small, mom & pop or even single developer shops. How does that fit your bizarre big brother scenario? The answer is, it doesn't. The facts are completely opposite of everything you are claiming.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    As for your comments re Linux, if enough people abandon Windows (and do not think it can't or won't happen) you just watch the number of distros shrink and come together as a large user-base makes their choice. There will be a winner (my money's on Mint). And it's these users who will get the last laugh.

    You can bank on that, too,
    Lol. Hardly. What you can bank on is that you have ZERO understanding of how open source software is developed. You will never see the number of distro's go down, and will in fact see them go up.. And that's because it costs nothing to fork a distro, which means people will continue to create their own unique versions and when they get enough people behind them they will fork out again...

    The only way you get consistency in the software market is by controlling it with an iron fist, like Microsoft and Apple have done. If you believe otherwise, you really haven't spent much time observing the open source landscape. Even the best Linux distro is still way too complicated for the average computer user to figure out. They may be able to use a Linux distro that is pre-setup for them, but they would never be able to figure out how to install new software or configure things.

    People like you have been arguing this for at least a decade.. and history keeps proving them wrong. Every year is "The year of Linux" and the year people run away from Microsoft and Apple. Linux is still, at best a 1% of the market. And that's because 99% of the users don't care enough about their OS to learn what is necessary to use Linux.

    And THAT is what you can bank on.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #92


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    There are plenty of grandmas doing just fine with mint. They only do a bit of browsing and emailing probably - works for them. The average user shouldn't have any trouble.

    Last time I looked at statcounter, it seems Linux usage has gone from about 0.83% to about 1.28%. That is an increase of about 0.45%, in the last 11 months.

    If you take the whole as being 1.6bn, 0.45% is significant. 7Om or so isn't it?

    There will be Android and Firefox os appearing on pcs. They qualify as Linux. They are not full scale os of course, but it could be hundreds of millions will be using them.
    Last edited by SIW2; 05 Jul 2013 at 18:40.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #93


    You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #94


    Toronto
    Posts : 82
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Mystere, you sound more and more like a fanboi by the day.

    I'm getting rather tired of the patronising attitude that you, and some others, display towards those who don't share your/MS' 'vision'. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

    Just accept that there are many who won't play that game, and stop running them down. They are not wrong, or 'luddites' 'dinosaurs' or 'won't adapt'. What they are, is realistic.

    The desktop will live as long as there are brain-dead consumers to consume the content we will be creating. Because they sure won't be creating much themselves. I'll certainly still be computing and creating on a desktop/laptop long after most tablets are land-fill. And powerful desktop/laptops will still be around long after you and I have become land-fill. Maybe not in every home, but certainly in many.

    And you can bank on that.

    The real 'evolutionary dead-end' is the one you and MS love so much... A future where no-one has the skills or equipment needed to create anything, but only suck up 'push programming' from 'big content'. It almost seems sometimes to be a deliberate strategy to decrease computer-literacy, to me.

    That's no future, AFAIC, and it is NOT computing any more than watching TV makes you a movie director.

    As for your comments re Linux, if enough people abandon Windows (and do not think it can't or won't happen) you just watch the number of distros shrink and come together as a large user-base makes their choice. There will be a winner (my money's on Mint). And it's these users who will get the last laugh.

    You can bank on that, too,


    Wenda.
    Here! Here! Here! Wenda,

    Perfectly and Very Clearly Said on this topic

    Good Job
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #95


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #96


    Toronto
    Posts : 82
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    OMG Hehehhehehehe,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #97


    Posts : 122
    Windows 8 64bit Pro


    I was about to give up on the preview but I was a little slow this time to see where the error was it was where I thought it wouldn't be - it was the intel hd graphics driver for my laptop. Just yesterday I went to the intel site and found the latest driver and bingo no more problems Latest Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 8

    I respect everyone's opinion but don't give up on W8.1 - Microsoft's lively hood depends on the OS succeeding, they won't, be patient. For mind its a giant step forward for mankind, he, he, lets live it up while we can in any case.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #98


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    @Mystere

    Your whole argument is based on wishes (as in you/MS wish the death of the desktop/laptop).

    And if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets in the sea.

    My net's not even on board this boat. Nor is it ever likely to be.

    MS' 'vision' is short-sighted, and will be irreparably detrimental to the world of computing as a whole.

    Deliberately encouraging computer-illiteracy and compliance with restrictive hardware/software practices is
    stupid and offensive in the extreme, and they really do deserve to get burnt if they continue to push it.

    And that's because 99% of the users don't care enough about their OS to learn what is necessary to
    use Linux.
    I'm not '99% of users'. I have, and use, more OSes than you've had hot dinners. not all MS, and not even
    all PC OSes. Several are Linux, and I have no issues swapping from Linux to Windows and vice-versa. I
    have ample choice apart from Windows.

    But I do know what I want and need, and MS' 'vision' isn't it. Not by a long chalk. Yes, I'm using 8.1 but I've
    made it work the way I want, not MS.



    Wenda.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virtual-Box programs 3.PNG  
    Last edited by Wenda; 05 Jul 2013 at 21:17.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #99


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Mystere, you sound more and more like a fanboi by the day.
    And you sound like someone that can't refute facts, and must resort to the "Nya nya nya I can't hear you" method of argument. My argument is based on facts, actual sales figures and projected sales figures by industry accepted third parties. Your argument appears to be based on burying your head in the sand and pretending the entire industry isn't actually shifting away from what you believe.

    Regardless of whether or not Windows 8 succeeds doesn't change the fact that the industry is moving away from the desktop. Regardless of whether or not Windows 8 succeeds doesn't change the fact that the desktops days are numbered. If you don't believe that, you simply are not paying attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I'm getting rather tired of the patronising attitude that you, and some others, display towards those who don't share your/MS' 'vision'.

    Just accept that there are many who won't play that game, and stop running them down. They are not wrong, or 'luddites' or 'won't adapt'. What they are, is realistic.
    You are VERY wrong if you believe that Microsoft will change course and abandon their strategy for any reason. You are VERY wrong if you believe the Desktop will play major factor in OS design in the next few years, from ANY vendor.. not just Microsoft. You are VERY wrong if you don't think that the Desktop market is shrinking and going to be replaced by mobile devices.

    Being realistic does not involve ignoring facts and pretending things aren't changing. If you were realistic, you would understand that change is necessary for a lot of reasons, and be willing to adapt to it because you understand your opinions will be in the minority.



    That doesn't mean the mainstream OS has to support them, now does it? It doesn't mean the mainstream OS has to be designed with their needs as a priority, does it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    The real 'evolutionary dead-end' is the one you and MS love so much... A future where no-one has the skills or equipment needed to create anything, but only suck up 'push programming' from 'big content'. It almost seems sometimes to be a deliberate strategy to decrease computer-literacy, to me.

    That's no future, AFAIC, and it is NOT computing any more than watching TV makes you a movie director.
    Have you looked at the Windows store? How many of the apps in there are created by large corporations? A very small amount of them. The vast majority of those apps are created by small, mom & pop or even single developer shops. How does that fit your bizarre big brother scenario? The answer is, it doesn't. The facts are completely opposite of everything you are claiming.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    As for your comments re Linux, if enough people abandon Windows (and do not think it can't or won't happen) you just watch the number of distros shrink and come together as a large user-base makes their choice. There will be a winner (my money's on Mint). And it's these users who will get the last laugh.

    You can bank on that, too,
    Lol. Hardly. What you can bank on is that you have ZERO understanding of how open source software is developed. You will never see the number of distro's go down, and will in fact see them go up.. And that's because it costs nothing to fork a distro, which means people will continue to create their own unique versions and when they get enough people behind them they will fork out again...

    The only way you get consistency in the software market is by controlling it with an iron fist, like Microsoft and Apple have done. If you believe otherwise, you really haven't spent much time observing the open source landscape. Even the best Linux distro is still way too complicated for the average computer user to figure out. They may be able to use a Linux distro that is pre-setup for them, but they would never be able to figure out how to install new software or configure things.

    People like you have been arguing this for at least a decade.. and history keeps proving them wrong. Every year is "The year of Linux" and the year people run away from Microsoft and Apple. Linux is still, at best a 1% of the market. And that's because 99% of the users don't care enough about their OS to learn what is necessary to use Linux.

    And THAT is what you can bank on.

    Very well said. They're in it for the long run. And, i'd rather be a part of it enjoying my tablet/desktop functionality now. This is only going to get bigger and better and sooner before you know it. With the porting of phone apps to 8 and vice versa coming soon, it's going to be an exciting next few months!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #100


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    it's going to be an exciting next few months!
    It will be fascinating.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want
Related Threads
Like many others I was not to excited about the new windows 8. I particularly did not like the boot to the start screen and getting to some of the features that I was familiar with. Over the years having gone thru all the different operating systems ending up with Windows 7 Pro I was a happy...
Ok I was finally able to burn the 8.1 ISO to a DVD. However, when I went to do a "refresh" from the recovery screen it says no media available. I have been using Windows for a lot of years, and this has been the most frustrated I have ever been. How can I do a "Refresh" with the ISO mounted to a...
Hi there while not totally 100% "Desktop friendly" It's certainly good enough for what I need - especially with Boot directly to desktop. I've also been messing around with one of those Thin Ultrabooks with a touch screen -- Windows 8.1 is fine as well on this. Actually I'm beginning to come...
Microsoft Claims That Windows 8 Is Finally Taking Off Ahead of 8.1 RTM Launch
With Windows Blue, Microsoft may (finally) do the right thing With Windows Blue, Microsoft may (finally) do the right thing | ZDNet
Hello there folks! I have had this quite annoying problem for arround three weeks now. My PC crashes Usually when playing games, but sometimes when I am just at the desktop I have almost concluded that the problem is one of my graphicscards. But today, after a fresh install I finally got a...
Read more at source: Hands on with Windows RT (finally) | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook