Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to Correctly Install Windows 8.1 Preview

  1. #71


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    By the way, suppousing that a 25% is installed and I want to give up, should I just cancel and ignore it or will it leave me a 25% of the 2,5GB of junk files in my system? Should we do some uninstalling or cleaning or what.

    Thanks Microcrap for this great preview to your free of charge volunteer testers all over the world, I love you.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    By the way, I'm trying to give thanks or reputation point or however it's called but I can't see the button anywhere.

    Has it been removed, the thanking thingy?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    I have an older machine so UEFI is no problem for me.

    A system clean gets rid of the files. I use CCleaner.

    The ISO installs right off the hard drive within 8. No need to burn it.

    BTW, before the second time of installation I performed a scannow of which it repaired files, but to no avail of installation.

    The ISO installation went without a hitch.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    By the way, I'm trying to give thanks or reputation point or however it's called but I can't see the button anywhere.

    Has it been removed, the thanking thingy?

    It depends on the category that you are posting. You won't see it in the NEWS category.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Thanks @HippsieGypsie and @vrosa
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    You're welcome. Give it thought. If you don't have 8 install media, I suggest you mirror your 8 in case you want to return.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    So, I gave up. Cancelled. That thing never moved again and never showed the progress anymore.

    Bravo Microsoft. The habit of making shoddy stuff seems to be strong as always. The company's motto. We make junk, you buy it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    So, I gave up. Cancelled. That thing never moved again and never showed the progress anymore.

    Bravo Microsoft. The habit of making shoddy stuff seems to be strong as always. The company's motto. We make junk, you buy it.
    but 8.1 is free ,and its only prieview/beta version ,so you should not be installing it on/over your main win8 computer,

    I created another partition and installed it there just to be safe ,i have a older computer and use a usb thumb drive to install the iso version of win8.1 pro 64bit and it works great
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    So, I gave up. Cancelled. That thing never moved again and never showed the progress anymore.

    Bravo Microsoft. The habit of making shoddy stuff seems to be strong as always. The company's motto. We make junk, you buy it.
    but 8.1 is free ,and its only prieview/beta version ,so you should not be installing it on/over your main win8 computer,

    I created another partition and installed it there just to be safe ,i have a older computer and use a usb thumb drive to install the iso version of win8.1 pro 64bit and it works great
    Well, it finally worked. What I did was to start all over again and noticed that if I kept using the computer, the installation would stop and the progress bar will disappear. So I just left it alone without touching it and set the screen to never turn off, so that I could keep an eye on it. And that worked.

    I preferred to install it over, not in a different partition, because I really wanted to use it fully and I don't care much if I have to do a refresh or uninstall later. The laptop is new, came today from Amazon, and didn't have any software installed yet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    So, I gave up. Cancelled. That thing never moved again and never showed the progress anymore.

    Bravo Microsoft. The habit of making shoddy stuff seems to be strong as always. The company's motto. We make junk, you buy it.
    but 8.1 is free ,and its only prieview/beta version ,so you should not be installing it on/over your main win8 computer,

    I created another partition and installed it there just to be safe ,i have a older computer and use a usb thumb drive to install the iso version of win8.1 pro 64bit and it works great
    Well, it finally worked. What I did was to start all over again and noticed that if I kept using the computer, the installation would stop and the progress bar will disappear. So I just left it alone without touching it and set the screen to never turn off, so that I could keep an eye on it. And that worked.

    I preferred to install it over, not in a different partition, because I really wanted to use it fully and I don't care much if I have to do a refresh or uninstall later. The laptop is new, came today from Amazon, and didn't have any software installed yet.
    Did you make your Windows 8 recovery media before updating to Windows 8.1? Doing a Reset or Refresh now may just restore Windows 8.1 and not roll you back to Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
How to Correctly Install Windows 8.1 Preview
Related Threads
I upgraded a 2 week old HP laptop from windows 7 to windows 8 and all seemed to go well. After finishing, though, my keyboard doesn't work correctly. In most programs and on webpages, the number keys do not work nor do the special characters accessed through the shift key. Sometimes they act...
Hello, I'm new to these forums, but I hope that you can help me with my issue. I recently got a second monitor and have been trying to get the two monitors to work in "extend" mode, where you drag the mouse off of one side to get to the other monitor. The two monitors are a Viewsonic...
Hi i want to ask you how to check if i update the windows 8.1 update 1 from x64 bits systems because i download all packages from microsoft download center and install in that order and dont recive error. Every package ask me to reestart i see all packages are installed on update history and on the...
Hi All , Downloaded WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-64bit-English-X1899605.ISO from Microsoft Site Burned Into DVD and USB Flash Using Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool After booting from DVD or USB i stuck at the fish logo !! and the screen is turned off after 2 or 3 minutes with activity in...
Solved Can't install windows 8 preview in Installation & Setup
From the DEV center I downloaded Windows8-ReleasePreview-UpgradeAssistant.exe. I've run this from a physical machine and from a VM and on both platforms I get the same issue. It tries to connect to the internet and then throws up a message: "We can't connect right now - check your internet...
Instructions on how to install a Dual-Boot Windows 8 developer preview without any DVD and re-installl with the developer tools version if needed as welll
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook