Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft: You Won’t Need a Clean Install to Move to W8.1

  1. #21



    I am Woman! Hear Me Roar!
    NJ
    Posts : 1,116
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3


    ok i take it back!
    when on a windows 8 machine you see the get the update
    I was looking at it on a windows 7 machine and that is why i could not see it

    robin

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    My apology. I should have stated option 1 of the tute.

    Ok, you have it. Good luck with your install. I wasn't able to get it to install that route.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23



    I am Woman! Hear Me Roar!
    NJ
    Posts : 1,116
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3


    I am thinking of putting it on a windows 7 test machine that is haunted, I am going to do a windows 8 upgrade to it then the 8.1, I just do not like the idea that you cannot uninstall it but when the preview is over, do you have to wipe the machine and start all over or can you pick up the 8.1 final?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    You probably won't be able to upgrade from the beta (yes, I know that MS changed the name to 'preview', but a rose by any other name...) to the final.

    For this reason, I took a system image of my Win 8 setup before installing 8.1 so when the 8.1 final is released I can restore the Win 8 image and then (hopefully) upgrade over that.

    But if I have to do a fresh install, that's no real biggie.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    I am thinking of putting it on a windows 7 test machine that is haunted, I am going to do a windows 8 upgrade to it then the 8.1, I just do not like the idea that you cannot uninstall it but when the preview is over, do you have to wipe the machine and start all over or can you pick up the 8.1 final?
    1) Update from 8 to 8.1 Preview - keeps everything.
    2) Update from 8 to 8.1 RTM - keeps everything
    3) Update from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 RTM - keeps personal files only.

    Just make an image of the 8 install before updating to 8.1 Preview. Then restore from the image and you can update to 8.1 RTM.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26



    I am Woman! Hear Me Roar!
    NJ
    Posts : 1,116
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3


    I have 8. Not the RTM version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    I am thinking of putting it on a windows 7 test machine that is haunted, I am going to do a windows 8 upgrade to it then the 8.1, I just do not like the idea that you cannot uninstall it but when the preview is over, do you have to wipe the machine and start all over or can you pick up the 8.1 final?
    1) Update from 8 to 8.1 Preview - keeps everything.
    2) Update from 8 to 8.1 RTM - keeps everything
    3) Update from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 RTM - keeps personal files only.

    Just make an image of the 8 install before updating to 8.1 Preview. Then restore from the image and you can update to 8.1 RTM.

    Jim

    Pretty-well spot-on, PhoneMan, with one caveat...

    If you use the ISO to install 8.1 it will let you keep either 'Files and Settings' or 'Nothing'.

    At least in my instance, the option to keep everything was not available.

    But, since I ended up having to do a 'virgin' installation anyway, it wasn't a biggie.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28



    I am Woman! Hear Me Roar!
    NJ
    Posts : 1,116
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3


    So that would mean I could put the final on top of it right?
    This test machine is so flaky I would rather just reinstall windows 8 pro that will be on it rather than image it
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    I am thinking of putting it on a windows 7 test machine that is haunted, I am going to do a windows 8 upgrade to it then the 8.1, I just do not like the idea that you cannot uninstall it but when the preview is over, do you have to wipe the machine and start all over or can you pick up the 8.1 final?
    1) Update from 8 to 8.1 Preview - keeps everything.
    2) Update from 8 to 8.1 RTM - keeps everything
    3) Update from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 RTM - keeps personal files only.

    Just make an image of the 8 install before updating to 8.1 Preview. Then restore from the image and you can update to 8.1 RTM.

    Jim

    Pretty-well spot-on, PhoneMan, with one caveat...

    If you use the ISO to install 8.1 it will let you keep either 'Files and Settings' or 'Nothing'.

    At least in my instance, the option to keep everything was not available.

    But, since I ended up having to do a 'virgin' installation anyway, it wasn't a biggie.


    Wenda.
    My post was referring to the update from the Store. The ISO is different.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post

    1) Update from 8 to 8.1 Preview - keeps everything.
    2) Update from 8 to 8.1 RTM - keeps everything
    3) Update from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 RTM - keeps personal files only.

    Just make an image of the 8 install before updating to 8.1 Preview. Then restore from the image and you can update to 8.1 RTM.

    Jim

    Sorry.

    Pretty-well spot-on, PhoneMan, with one caveat...

    If you use the ISO to install 8.1 it will let you keep either 'Files and Settings' or 'Nothing'.

    At least in my instance, the option to keep everything was not available.

    But, since I ended up having to do a 'virgin' installation anyway, it wasn't a biggie.


    Wenda.
    My post was referring to the update from the Store. The ISO is different.

    Jim
    Sorry, Jim, my bad. I didn't realise you were being specific re the Store version.

    Handy info to have, though, for those who may be confused re the difference.

    Have a good one.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Microsoft: You Won’t Need a Clean Install to Move to W8.1
Related Threads
I just got a new laptop, a Lenovo X230, for which I paid extra to have the OS on it as Windows 8 Pro. So--now I have it, and Win 8 Pro 64 is installed and activated on it. I am a legal owner of Win 8 Pro. However, I would like to do a clean install of Win 8 on the computer, to have it free of...
Solved Clean install with W8 KEY? in Installation & Setup
So here is the deal. I was able to get a W8 upgrade key for free through school. I am also in the process of building a new PC which I should be assembling sometime next week. I was wondering if it is possible to somehow do a clean install with just a W8 Pro key? I do have W7 home premium 64-bit on...
Clean disk before clean install? in Installation & Setup
hello I had many problems with BSOD crashes, and decided to make a new clean install (SSD or harddisk). If I make a new clean install (no upgrade) is it enough to create 1 continuous unallocated disk and then it will make a clean install Or do I have to "clean up" my old disk first before making...
Read more at source: Adobe, Microsoft sync up patch schedule in overdue move | ZDNet See also: https://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/2871-latest-version-adobe-flash-player.html
Anyone not do a clean install but ... in Installation & Setup
Has anyone done a simple install from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and have it go successful. Each time I have attempted that in the past, I have had no problems. Different computer today - different windows ----
During a virtual install, there is a question to install upgrade which says will move everything to the (new) windows folder or to install clean. If I answer upgrade, will all my windows ‘stuff’ be MOVED from my Windows 7 Pro? When I close the virtual machine will there be nothing left for my...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook