Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1’s Success Critical for Microsoft’s “Morale”

  1. #1

    Windows 8.1’s Success Critical for Microsoft’s “Morale”


    There’s no doubt that Windows 8.1 is going to play a critical role in Microsoft’s long-term strategy, especially because the Softies need this operating system to be a success more than ever.

    Since Windows 8 has until now failed to excite, Windows 8.1 is supposed to refresh the platform and make it a bit more familiar, thus boosting sales and increasing the overall PC sales.

    On the other hand, the launch of Windows 8.1 represents a critical moment for Microsoft, as the Redmond-based tech giant is facing a fiercer battle with the other large companies out there when it comes to operating system.

    A report by Digitimes reveals that Windows 8.1’s success is going to be threatened by several other desktop platforms, so in the end, the first major Windows 8 overhaul is going to be “important for maintaining Microsoft’s morale in the IT market.”

    Unsurprisingly, some top analysts out there believe that Windows 8.1 won’t make such a big difference for Microsoft, so we shouldn’t expect a significant sales boost in the coming months.
    Windows 8.1?s Success Critical for Microsoft?s ?Morale?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    It's going to be interesting to see how that pans out. You have to be running 8 to even see what 8.1 offers so that's going to leave a lot of those that already ditched 8 out of the loop. I'll give Microsoft credit for the update though. I'm looking forward to trying it out when it becomes available. It will be interesting to see if it can change some sour grapes into wine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3

    Gartner: Windows 8.1 Features Will Quiet All Critics


    Even though some people think that Windows 8.1 will do little to help the collapsing PC industry, analyst firm Gartner believes that its features could actually “quiet” all critics, especially because they are designed to make the OS more familiar.

    Michael Silver and Steve Kleynhans, vice presidents in Gartner’s client computing team, said in a new report that Windows 8.1’s release could represent the right moment for everyone to make the move to Windows 8, especially because it packs plenty of improvements designed to address complaints sent by end users.

    “After Microsoft unveiled Windows 8, the newly introduced user experience was criticized. Some users complained about the lack of discoverability, help or cues for the new user experience, and many rejected Windows 8 because of the changes. Based on the information currently available, we believe Windows 8.1 features could quiet most of its detractors,” the two analysts wrote in the report.
    Gartner: Windows 8.1 Features Will Quiet All Critics
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how that pans out. You have to be running 8 to even see what 8.1 offers so that's going to leave a lot of those that already ditched 8 out of the loop. I'll give Microsoft credit for the update though. I'm looking forward to trying it out when it becomes available. It will be interesting to see if it can change some sour grapes into wine.
    Lets hope it does not change it to Vinegar.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Lets hope it does not change it to Vinegar.
    Looking at the proposed changes I didn't see anything that struck me as possibly making it any worse than it is now. Bing being integrated into the search function doesn't thrill me all that much but some may like that. Only time will tell as they say.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    I suspect 8.1 is not going to be the help they think it will be, they haven't budged on any of the bad decisions from 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    I suspect 8.1 is not going to be the help they think it will be, they haven't budged on any of the bad decisions from 8.
    Well yes, even a blind man can see, that 8.1 is not making 8 more like win7, it is making 8 even more tablet oriented.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    I suspect 8.1 is not going to be the help they think it will be, they haven't budged on any of the bad decisions from 8.
    It just seems so simple and I cannot understand how MS is not relenting. Allow users to have their preferred interface. Desktop or the touch oriented Modern. Start working on synergy between the two interfaces (something like Start 8 plus Modern Mix). As time goes on and the Modern interface matures, and touch proliferates itself people should organically migrate from the simple, efficient, and familiar desktop to the Modern. In the mean time, MS should focus on making the Modern interface something which actually makes sense for a desktop user which is the majority of their current user base. The modern start screen is a kludge currently. No one, with any type of computing background can rationalize why their 24" monitor is relegated to full screen anything. It doesn't make sense.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 15
    Windows 7


    I just started using the Metro "Live Mail" app and I love it. I've also been using the Metro "People" app and I have to admit I like it as well.

    Call me a troll, call me an idiot but I really like Windows 8 and I can't wait for Windows 8.1. I'm even considering dumping my iPhone and iPad in favor of the Nokia 928 and Surface Pro which both run Windows 8. As soon as my AT&T contract is up in Feb, 2014 I will more then likely switch from iOS to Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    There’s no doubt that Windows 8.1 is going to play a critical role in Microsoft’s long-term strategy, especially because the Softies need this operating system to be a success more than ever.

    Since Windows 8 has until now failed to excite, Windows 8.1 is supposed to refresh the platform and make it a bit more familiar, thus boosting sales and increasing the overall PC sales.

    On the other hand, the launch of Windows 8.1 represents a critical moment for Microsoft, as the Redmond-based tech giant is facing a fiercer battle with the other large companies out there when it comes to operating system.

    A report by Digitimes reveals that Windows 8.1’s success is going to be threatened by several other desktop platforms, so in the end, the first major Windows 8 overhaul is going to be “important for maintaining Microsoft’s morale in the IT market.”

    Unsurprisingly, some top analysts out there believe that Windows 8.1 won’t make such a big difference for Microsoft, so we shouldn’t expect a significant sales boost in the coming months.
    Windows 8.1?s Success Critical for Microsoft?s ?Morale?
    I am a user of windows 8 and I do like the OS in general but the whole Metro thing is not my cup of tea. I have disabled half of it. As soon as I got it , I had issues with the Windows store not opening (Google around its not just me either).

    8.1 has some new stuff , but not enough for me personally. Its the start screen is my main issue and its new UI.

    I may be wrong here , I often am. But the "ALL APPS" view will still have a side scrolling , all folders open view yes ?

    I have a tablet and it runs a super buttery smooth Android flavour (AOKP : latest nightly) I want a laptop that behaves like one not like a tablet.

    I used to be a heavy customiser back on 7 , then once I had it the way I wanted I stopped it. Now I find myself trying to customise 8 again . getting rid of silly things that are badly designed in the first place.

    Charms Bar (Time/Date Panel ) RegEdit wanted please.

    I will use 8.1 possibly , once all my "additional" software will work with it.

    Just out of curiosity what other OS is, in reality competing with Windows 8 ? Apple , yeah sure they make decent stuff and have a loyal fan base ( same as Windows ) .The others ? *nix ? ....not going to happen. Who are the others ?

    A report by Digitimes reveals that Windows 8.1’s success is going to be threatened by several other desktop platforms,
    And yes I know, I know , If I don't like it I shouldn't have purchased it .... That attitude will win more customers I'm sure. (Already am a loyal customer by the way, don't push me away).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1’s Success Critical for Microsoft’s “Morale”
Related Threads
Hi everyone - I found this interesting piece on Windows RT and how it's super important to the overall Windows brand, check it out - The success of Windows RT is critical to the Windows brand - Microsoft Product Reviews - Windows Phone, Surface, Xbox One, Apps & Games
Sorry naysayers, but the doom and gloom might be coming to an end. More at the source Microsoft's first PC lives! | Microsoft - CNET News
"Microsoft today delivered six security updates to patch 11 vulnerabilities in Windows, Internet Explorer (IE), Office and several other products, including one bug that attackers are already exploiting." - 4/10/2012 ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook