Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Xbox One's DRM puportedly explained by "Xbox engineer"

  1. #21


    Posts : 1,127
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by vram View Post
    It also pisses me off that my collection of XBL arcade titles aren't compatible with the Xbox One. Basically I just lost everything I bought and even though there are more XBLA games I want, there is no way I'm buying them now.

    you plan on throwing away your 360?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    It's a bit of a pain to have to have two consoles hooked up. I would want to remove my 360 if I were to get an Xbox one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vram View Post
    It also pisses me off that my collection of XBL arcade titles aren't compatible with the Xbox One. Basically I just lost everything I bought and even though there are more XBLA games I want, there is no way I'm buying them now.

    you plan on throwing away your 360?
    Who wants to have an old system hooked up when you buy its successor?? I don't think it would've killed them to include the 360's SOC to facilitate backwards compatibility. What it comes down to is they're lazy and cheaped out. They pretty much confirmed my predictions about digital only purchases when they decided those weren't going to be carried over.

    The era of owning games/collecting games is officially over.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 1,127
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    okay, now there's kind of a double talk going on. you talk about the era of owning/collecting games. and then you want a successor that doesn't require the old system. and you want to replace the old system.

    backwards compatibility is not something that is common in the console arena. some old systems had backwards compatibility through peripherals. the PS3 temporarily had backwards compatibility. the Wii temporarily had backwards compatibility. both systems had it removed later in their lifetimes. the 360 had "backwards compatibility" but it was through emulation and we know emulation is never that great. people kept saying that the 360 had backwards compatibility but no one actually used it. well, Halo 2. but really, people moved on.

    a collector keeps his systems. I still have my Atari Lynx. I still have my Atari Jaguar. I still have my original Xbox, my PS2, and my origianl Playstation.

    I plan to keep my 360 hooked up. heck, I still have the Jaguar hooked up on an old CRT (best NBA Jam: TE of any console of that gen).

    Quote Originally Posted by vram View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vram View Post
    It also pisses me off that my collection of XBL arcade titles aren't compatible with the Xbox One. Basically I just lost everything I bought and even though there are more XBLA games I want, there is no way I'm buying them now.

    you plan on throwing away your 360?
    Who wants to have an old system hooked up when you buy its successor?? I don't think it would've killed them to include the 360's SOC to facilitate backwards compatibility. What it comes down to is they're lazy and cheaped out. They pretty much confirmed my predictions about digital only purchases when they decided those weren't going to be carried over.

    The era of owning games/collecting games is officially over.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 1,127
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    It's a bit of a pain to have to have two consoles hooked up. I would want to remove my 360 if I were to get an Xbox one.
    yeah, it is... maybe they can use the HDMI in of the Xbox One to output the 360 through the One. wishful thinking, I know...

    I have to keep the 360 up and running. I have too much of a backlog of games I haven't even touched (games I picked up on sale over the years but never got around to because new games kept popping up). Heck, I still have games for the original Xbox that I haven't touch (though some of those were pirated and some were bought cheap when the first Xbox was replaced by the 360 and put all the games on a 320GB HDD modded Xbox as well as a 160GB Xbox and a 80 GB Xbox). plus, I have a lot of friends on 360 that won't make the jump to any next-gen system for awhile.

    luckily, they will still be able to communicate with One users. but according to recent documents, that only applies to messages. not live chat.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Lazure View Post
    Not all of us have a mobile data plan to tether a phone in with, but granted, satellite internet in itself is terrible anyways. I've known people to pick dialup before satellite if they live out in the middle of nowhere and can't get a -real- connection. With satellite you're dealing with massive latency, extremely steep bandwidth monthly limits, and every little raindrop interfering with your connection. It's basically not even a usable connection type for websurfing let alone gaming.

    Fortunately, I have a very stable cable connection where I live so this would not be a worry for me. I don't own any xbox consoles-- mostly because I can't use an xbox as an HD movie player (the PS3 can play blurays, I can't stand playing DVDs or other low res media on a 1080p HDTV) and you have to pay a monthly fee to play any game online. That's stupid, considering you already have to pay for your internet connection, now you have to pay for another internet connection on top of that to play a game with a buddy? Nevermind if you have an MMO subscription or something on top of all that. It's crazy.

    Anyways, Microsoft only gave me even less reason now to own one of their consoles with the xbox one, because often times I get hand-me-down games from my sister for PS3 to save money and still get my game on and if you can't do that on xbox then you know there goes the source of much of my games right there. Steam works on PC because PC is so flexible and adaptable and Steam isn't nearly as restrictive, either. Also, because of sales, you can actually afford to buy and own many games instead of having to borrow most from a family member or friend to save money. Also, with Steam, you always knew that once you bought a game, it's yours to keep as long as you don't lose your account. You knew you weren't trading them from the start, so part of it is a 'what was it like before?' vs 'what is it like now?'. Xbox users are used to having a disc they can share.
    No, you're STILL allowed to play used games, that was never cut out or taxed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by vram View Post
    I just can't get past the idea that I'd be essentially renting my games from here on out. Games that require internet connections, call home capability and patches are not games I'd be dragging out to play again years in the future. They might as well go download only at this point cause the media has no value anymore. It also pisses me off that my collection of XBL arcade titles aren't compatible with the Xbox One. Basically I just lost everything I bought and even though there are more XBLA games I want, there is no way I'm buying them now.
    You're not renting your games out or anything. The Xbox One works EXACTLY the same to an extent as the 360, you still can play disk games except you have to install it onto the hard drive first. That is a performance benefit.

    Third party developers can use the Azure cloud from Microsoft to offload CPU cycles from the console to something three times more powerful for........FREE. This is your gaming experience getting a dose of steroids and potentially meeting PC gaming hardware up to par. That is rare for a console to EVER do, especially for the price. Third party developers can choose to DRM disks if they so please, but I doubt that will happen in mass effect. The 24 hour ping doesn't make sense.

    The lack of backwards compatibility if a two fold thing. One, last gen hardware sucks donkey genitals compared to what's out there now. The PS4 and Xbox both have x86 based AMD APUs, those can't process like the PowerPC CPU did on the 360. It's like if one tried to get Desktop software to run on Windows RT tablets. It can happen, but with great difficulty and ultimately a poor experience on newer modern hardware in which the old software was never designed for. They could have put in some 360 hardware into the One, but that would had increased the cost about 150-200 dollars for a new console, to play old games, that your current 360 can be used just fine for. It would be pointless to buy a new console that has new and old hardware, you'd basically be buying two Xbox 360s when all is said and done.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    See, I wonder about something. The new Xbox is almost like a HTPC. This 24 hour pinging can be a problem for certain people. That can open up a whole route of modding with it. I was thinking about if the USB 3 port on it can be used to plug in a USB drive that can emulate the phone home pinging. So for example, some code can be ran on the USB drive and have it be recognized as maybe a wifi receiver, so the system uses that over the built in wifi receiver. But on that drive, some code runs to trick the Xbox into thinking it phoned home but in reality, it didn't since it's offline...

    Sounds complicated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    It still surprises me however how TOTALLY misinformed people are about the Xbox. The internet seems to think the opposite of what Microsoft has stated...it's quite absurd really. The internet is there to search for information, but yet it's better used to complain about things we heard about that aren't true....

    Sounds familiar.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    okay, now there's kind of a double talk going on. you talk about the era of owning/collecting games. and then you want a successor that doesn't require the old system. and you want to replace the old system.

    backwards compatibility is not something that is common in the console arena. some old systems had backwards compatibility through peripherals. the PS3 temporarily had backwards compatibility. the Wii temporarily had backwards compatibility. both systems had it removed later in their lifetimes. the 360 had "backwards compatibility" but it was through emulation and we know emulation is never that great. people kept saying that the 360 had backwards compatibility but no one actually used it. well, Halo 2. but really, people moved on.

    a collector keeps his systems. I still have my Atari Lynx. I still have my Atari Jaguar. I still have my original Xbox, my PS2, and my origianl Playstation.

    I plan to keep my 360 hooked up. heck, I still have the Jaguar hooked up on an old CRT (best NBA Jam: TE of any console of that gen).

    Quote Originally Posted by vram View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post


    you plan on throwing away your 360?
    Who wants to have an old system hooked up when you buy its successor?? I don't think it would've killed them to include the 360's SOC to facilitate backwards compatibility. What it comes down to is they're lazy and cheaped out. They pretty much confirmed my predictions about digital only purchases when they decided those weren't going to be carried over.

    The era of owning games/collecting games is officially over.
    I care about the games, not the hardware. If there was the option to play them on the new system, that's my preferred method. No one wants to have a bunch of crap cluttering up the entertainment center. Even if I wanted to, whats the future of all my purchased XBLA games, since they'll never be supported on the One? Microsoft isn't going to support the 360 forever. Eventually, my system will take a dump. Yes, I can find another 360, but will I still be able to pull down my XBLA games from MS?? They should've recompiled all the games to work on x86 or stuck with PPC cpus.

    There was a time when I had every system/game from childhood, starting with the Atari 2600 up to now, but I came to the realization that the hardware/software isn't going to work forever. Although I still have a Saturn, PS2 and Xbox, I never hook them up because they look like ass on an LCD. Emulation works great if done right. Look at MAME, BSNES, Kega Fusion, Nestopia as great examples. A good controller and the experience is better than the real thing. Sure having the actual hardware is nice for nostalgia, but again, the games are what I continue to enjoy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Xbox One's DRM puportedly explained by "Xbox engineer"
Related Threads
Hello My Brand new Laptop: Lenovo g505 after upgrading it to windows 8.1 from MS Apps store now i am not able to connect to internet i get "limited" or "No Internet Access". i have tried to re install the driver no luck Lenovo support suggests to do factory rest but i dont want to go back...
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
I think I'm having a problem with the Games app, since- per my Microsoft account, I am able to sign into the other various apps that use connectivity to my Microsoft account without error. Upon opening the Games app, I get: "We can't sign into Xbox Services right now. Please check your internet...
I have Comcast blast with a ARRIS TG86ZG/CT wireless gateway.My room is two adobe ,one Sheetrock walls ,mom ,dad,washer ,dryer ect...ect...70 feet away from the gateway. All of my two consoles & laptop +tablet live in my room with me .I recently came up on a bunch of cat 6 and ran it to my room...
I was wondering, am I able to use the Applocker to prevent this from occurring? I can sadly not give a screeny of this... because if the message appears, there seems to be no way to get rid of it, but making a new local account? Any help is GREATLY appreciated and REWARDED with my gratitude and...
I have downloaded some basic games like Solitaire, Mah Jong, and Freecell. Every time I run them, the app tries to communicate with my Xbox. It just happens that I don't own an Xbox. Is there any way I can configure the games so they don't try this rather futile communication?
So got windows 8 Dev installed so far so good, I thought I would like the left screen bump to go to last app or program used feature till I installed some games and tried to play them suddenly my left side of my screen is no good if needing to scroll to the side say in a game like Starcraft II,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook