Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Citi: Windows 8.1 Won’t Save Microsoft

  1. #1

    Citi: Windows 8.1 Won’t Save Microsoft


    Microsoft will unveil the Preview version of Windows 8.1 in just a couple of weeks, while the stable build is very likely to see daylight in August.

    And even though the tech company has significantly improved specific features, the new operating system is highly unlikely to save the collapsing PC industry and, consequently, Microsoft.

    A research conducted by Citi and published by Win8China indicates that new PC sales will continue to go down after the new Windows 8.1 has been released, especially because the upcoming Windows 8 makeover is expected to experience a rather slow uptake.

    Tablet sales, on the other hand, are very likely to skyrocket in the next couple of months, with 237 million units expected to be sold, up from 144 million last year.
    Citi: Windows 8.1 Won?t Save Microsoft

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Maryland USA
    Posts : 758
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot


    The deliberate burial of SAFE MODE in Windows 8 makes it almost impossible for standard users to get free help in repairing minor problems that only look catastrophic and secure their precious data from RESET RESTORE REFRESH.

    I dont know of anyone who would rather save their operating system over their data!

    People would rather their pc/laptop smoke and catch fire as long as their data is safe..

    Come on MS, listen to what WE want , and not what YOU want us to accept..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn567 View Post
    The deliberate burial of SAFE MODE in Windows 8 makes it almost impossible for standard users to get free help in repairing minor problems that only look catastrophic and secure their precious data from RESET RESTORE REFRESH.

    I dont know of anyone who would rather save their operating system over their data!

    People would rather their pc/laptop smoke and catch fire as long as their data is safe..

    Come on MS, listen to what WE want , and not what YOU want us to accept..

    Well said....

    WTF Microsoft?

    It almost seems if MS WANTS to destroy the PC market. Do they?

    The three most important things MS NEEDS to do with Windows 8.1

    1) Boot directly to desktop as default selection (DONE!)

    2) Return TRADITIONAL START MENU along with TRADITIONAL START BUTTON in the DESKTOP mode.

    3) Return the FULL F8 safe mode facility functionality to at least the desktop mode.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    AND...

    4) Reinstate Aero in full.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 69
    Windows 7 uiltimate, Windows 8.1 pro 64bit, Windows server 2008R2, Windows 10 TP


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    AND...

    4) Reinstate Aero in full.


    Wenda.
    Aero is optional I don't really miss it as much as start menu.. aero does not effect my work speed or comfort that much.. but start menu does and so does desktop that's why I use start is back to get my windows 7 start menu.. and boot to desktop.. and disable "hot" corners so I don't see contraption called modern UI.
    but it seems that in windows 8.1 MS only returned start button but not menu and option to boot to desktop as afterthought.. they concentrated most of development on modern UI that so many hate.

    lately I wonder why MS tries to kill pc where it has dominant market (pc market maybe shrinking a bit, but its still large and pc isn't going to die anytime soon).. because mobile and tablet marked already has leaders and that is not MS... MS will have hard time to make any break to make dent in "cheap" android and "prestige" ios dominated marked.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Microsoft will unveil the Preview version of Windows 8.1 in just a couple of weeks, while the stable build is very likely to see daylight in August.

    And even though the tech company has significantly improved specific features, the new operating system is highly unlikely to save the collapsing PC industry and, consequently, Microsoft.

    A research conducted by Citi and published by Win8China indicates that new PC sales will continue to go down after the new Windows 8.1 has been released, especially because the upcoming Windows 8 makeover is expected to experience a rather slow uptake.

    Tablet sales, on the other hand, are very likely to skyrocket in the next couple of months, with 237 million units expected to be sold, up from 144 million last year.
    Citi: Windows 8.1 Won?t Save Microsoft
    Hi there
    The only possible response to this is "Little Round Objects" if you know what I mean -- for those that haven't a clue just look up the Last name of the Opposition Finance Minister for the UK (Chancellor of the Exchequer as I think it's rather more poshly titled).

    Ms does a HUGE more load of things than just Windows these days - for example I'll bet a load of people on this Forum probably don't realize how much Ms is involved in robotics for example.

    If you think Ms is in trouble just plot the Market price of the stock lately --it's at or around a 52 week high --even in a falling market whereas The Fruit Company's stock is at the opposite end of the spectrum and is 50% down (almost) on its high last November.

    As for XBOX vs the SONY -- two different devices - Sony is for basically just gaming whilst the XBOX can be used for so much more -- although the UK price compared with the US price when you look at the exchange rate (around 1.55 USD for 1 GBP) seems extortionate.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center

    Safe Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn567 View Post
    The deliberate burial of SAFE MODE in Windows 8 makes it almost impossible for standard users to get free help in repairing minor problems that only look catastrophic and secure their precious data from RESET RESTORE REFRESH.
    I posted about this before in the Forum. (Safe Mode)

    If you go here :

    WinAero: Boot UI Tuner

    & download Boot UI Tuner & enable Advanced options, Every time you reboot/restart a window will appear with the option to boot into Safe Mode. (# 4 in the list )

    2 pictures :


    Click image for larger version


    Click image for larger version


    If you don't want to use any of the options listed, press Enter to continue booting in regular startup.

    I think an Administrator should make a tutorial on using the program.
    It would help a lot of people.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Essex
    Posts : 4
    Windows 8.1


    Return DVD Maker to it's former glory....as I used to rely on that a awful lot when I was using Windows 7 a couple of weeks ago....bit due to something beyond my control I had to buy a new laptop which all now come with Windows 8....it is a nice OS....but disappointed with a couple of things....I really hope they listen to what we want and Not force it on us to what they want us to have!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by deanrwp View Post
    Return DVD Maker to it's former glory....as I used to rely on that a awful lot when I was using Windows 7 a couple of weeks ago....bit due to something beyond my control I had to buy a new laptop which all now come with Windows 8....it is a nice OS....but disappointed with a couple of things....I really hope they listen to what we want and Not force it on us to what they want us to have!
    Hi there
    Some people don't want the OS to be loaded with all sorts of things like DVD maker - especially as the DVD is dying faster than a snow flake would melt in the Sahara Desert.

    There are a load of apps around that can do this (some free).

    I'm one of those who subscribe to the theory that the OS should provide the basic OS and everything else is up to the user as to what they load on their machines. Lean and Mean is how I want my OS to stay.

    The only exceptions here are built in security (which W8 has and it's quite good) and a decent backup system (which although better than W7 is still not good or robust enough).

    People also use Multi-media totally differently - so what one person uses isn't what another one likes -- the best philosophy is provide a decent OS and then it's up to the users what to install on it.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 219
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn567 View Post
    The deliberate burial of SAFE MODE in Windows 8 makes it almost impossible for standard users to get free help in repairing minor problems that only look catastrophic and secure their precious data from RESET RESTORE REFRESH.
    I posted about this before in the Forum. (Safe Mode)



    If you go here :

    WinAero: Boot UI Tuner

    & download Boot UI Tuner & enable Advanced options, Every time you reboot/restart a window will appear with the option to boot into Safe Mode. (# 4 in the list )

    2 pictures :


    Click image for larger version


    Click image for larger version


    If you don't want to use any of the options listed, press Enter to continue booting in regular startup.

    I think an Administrator should make a tutorial on using the program.
    It would help a lot of people.
    I just have to say, as cool as this creation is, I sure am getting more and more tired of seeing the user base have to revert to 3rd party applications to restore features that should have been a part of the initial OS. I will say it again... Everyone would be super happy now had they kept all the old features, and just added the new. People would have been thrilled. I believe that 8.1 is going to improve the OS, and in some ways make it more usable. That said, I am not confident that it will remove the rotten taste MS has left in many user's mouth with the initial release. We need more options not less. We need more choice. Even though people are physically mostly built the same, we are very different when it comes to who we actually are. I still run Windows as my primary OS, simply because there still is not viable option for what I do. The day a contender steps into the game that offers a viable option, I am more than willing to jump ship at this point, if only to, in my own small way, teach those m$#@f#$%ers a bit of a lesson. I am an individual, and I will not part of the herd, stuck blindly walking into the coral.

    Unfortunately, there is still no viable option for what I do, so for this week again I am forced to 'moo'.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Citi: Windows 8.1 Won’t Save Microsoft
Related Threads
Just this really. And then I have to go to task manager and close it down and open it again but I can't get any work done as I can't save anything. I just installed the windows 8.1 patch two days ago. Any ideas anyone?
I log on my machine using MS login. That's fine. But I wish to disable the dialog asking to save the password when logging in to web sites. I have LastPass set up with my preferences and have no wish to start over with a new password manager. I didn't find it in the tutorials.. which does not...
Bill Gates Might Return to Save Microsoft
The one big fix that could save Windows 8 | ZDNet
see two page report (I think most would agree on Item #3! :D )
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook