Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Sony kills Xbox One -where now for MS

  1. #41


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post

    And I couldn't agree more.

    You've just perfectly summed-up what I was just sitting here thinking.

    Wenda.
    Thanks, I'm glad you feel the same.

    If there is one thing that can rile me up more than Windows 8 it's messing around with childhood hobby.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Quote Originally Posted by jaebberwock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I'm happy to see Sony coming hard with the ps4. $100 to many is going to be the deal breaker.

    Specs overall look better on the ps4, faster ram, better video card. Just the fear of DRM will sway some people. Lots will boil down to the used game market and what really happens. And major props to Sony for making the console region free. And no internet check in required..Just out off principal I'm all for that.

    I'm currently an owner of both a ps3 and a 360. I play all my multiplayer games on the 360, I play most single player games on the 360. I use the ps3 for blu Ray, for Netflix and for home streaming. I like the simplified ps3 menu much better. Without a doubt, I love the 360 controller better.
    Ahhh.... It stops being a dealbreaker to me.

    The Xbox One includes a better gaming platform, a SUPERIOR Kinect sensor than the first gen included which will actually enabled game developers to utilize that than before when it wasn't included, and Windows Azure cloud computing.

    In a handful of years down the road when current console graphics are being somewhat limited, the question will again rise of will there be new console hardware? This whole debacle again. But that will be limited to Playstations, because the Xbox One is future proofed for a few generations with the Azure cloud service and providing the potential of THREE Xbox Ones in terms of graphical computing. Where the PS 4 on paper sounds like a better gaming rig, that will only last for so long whereas the One has cloud offloading to make the console last a good genuine eight years at least without being a tired system.

    The Kinect sensor is what makes the deal better, because the Xbox also has TV capabilities of which will be perfect to use voice commands for to switch from TV to a game on the fly. Since it is now included in ALL systems, game developers have a better incentive to use it than they did before where it was just an addon accessory. So things like sports games can become MUCH more interactive and FPS games can become more interactive as well through hand gesturing as well as speech features.

    And since obviously it has been known that more hours have been logged for the first time ever with consoles outside of gaming (video playback), it makes perfect sense to adapt the console for such. The Xbox One does this MUCH better. It's a multi-entertainment system, not just a simple console. It's almost like a HTPC.
    This is one of the most short sighted and asinine things I've heard. It's because of consumers like you who lap this stuff up that MS is even attempting to do this.

    You claim people who are concerned with Kinect are wearing tinfoil hats, even after all this news about PRISM and the NSA? Do you think that the Xbox One will be somehow immune to National Security Letters? This is like crack to a crack head. Better yet, you even paid to install this in your living room and paying for the bandwidth to upload it into MS servers so they can do the wizbang magic so MS can say there is no "direct" access by the government to their servers.

    ...I don't know if you've noticed but the response has been extremely negative and they are absolutely being trounced right now in the press and rightly so. I hope they fall and fall hard.

    I couldn't care less about license agreements and the legal voodoo that software makers feel like is their birthright. The value of books is in their content. The same with music and movies. They do not degrade after using them once. Yet, there is a second hand market for them. I can sell my movies on ebay, watch it today or 30 years from now, give it away, or throw it away. All without obtaining permission from anyone. I worked for my money. I spent my hard earned money on your product.

    If MS is successful with this, then consumer rights will have even further eroded. Once this ground has been given up, it will be almost impossible for consumers to regain it. We won't ever be able to own a game again.

    I would like to thank you for your contribution to the further erosion of gamer and consumer rights.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 16
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by jaebberwock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I'm happy to see Sony coming hard with the ps4. $100 to many is going to be the deal breaker.

    Specs overall look better on the ps4, faster ram, better video card. Just the fear of DRM will sway some people. Lots will boil down to the used game market and what really happens. And major props to Sony for making the console region free. And no internet check in required..Just out off principal I'm all for that.

    I'm currently an owner of both a ps3 and a 360. I play all my multiplayer games on the 360, I play most single player games on the 360. I use the ps3 for blu Ray, for Netflix and for home streaming. I like the simplified ps3 menu much better. Without a doubt, I love the 360 controller better.
    Ahhh.... It stops being a dealbreaker to me.

    The Xbox One includes a better gaming platform, a SUPERIOR Kinect sensor than the first gen included which will actually enabled game developers to utilize that than before when it wasn't included, and Windows Azure cloud computing.

    In a handful of years down the road when current console graphics are being somewhat limited, the question will again rise of will there be new console hardware? This whole debacle again. But that will be limited to Playstations, because the Xbox One is future proofed for a few generations with the Azure cloud service and providing the potential of THREE Xbox Ones in terms of graphical computing. Where the PS 4 on paper sounds like a better gaming rig, that will only last for so long whereas the One has cloud offloading to make the console last a good genuine eight years at least without being a tired system.

    The Kinect sensor is what makes the deal better, because the Xbox also has TV capabilities of which will be perfect to use voice commands for to switch from TV to a game on the fly. Since it is now included in ALL systems, game developers have a better incentive to use it than they did before where it was just an addon accessory. So things like sports games can become MUCH more interactive and FPS games can become more interactive as well through hand gesturing as well as speech features.

    And since obviously it has been known that more hours have been logged for the first time ever with consoles outside of gaming (video playback), it makes perfect sense to adapt the console for such. The Xbox One does this MUCH better. It's a multi-entertainment system, not just a simple console. It's almost like a HTPC.
    This is one of the most short sighted and asinine things I've heard. It's because of consumers like you who lap this stuff up that MS is even attempting to do this.

    You claim people who are concerned with Kinect are wearing tinfoil hats, even after all this news about PRISM and the NSA? Do you think that the Xbox One will be somehow immune to National Security Letters? This is like crack to a crack head. Better yet, you even paid to install this in your living room and paying for the bandwidth to upload it into MS servers so they can do the wizbang magic so MS can say there is no "direct" access by the government to their servers.

    24 hour check-in? Oh yeah, lovely. As a former submariner, I suspect there are a lot of happy sailors on subs and ships and soldiers in Afghanistan. My Xbox 360 is permanently offline. I went out of my way to make it so because I was sick of looking at advertisements plastered all over the place. Sometimes, I just want to get lost in a game and roam the worlds of Oblivion and Fallout without concern regarding my connection. It is a added layer of complexity that is most definitely consumer hostile.

    MS absolutely infuriated me with their arrogance and they need a huge serving of humble pie. Now I need to follow some kind of flow chart before I can lend someone a game and vice versa? Are you kidding me?

    What happens when the servers go offline? MS can now dictate the end of the Xbox One generation at their discretion when the time for Xbox 2 comes around. Transfer games? How did that work out with the Xbox Live games that were purchased?

    30,000 servers? LMAO, the power of the "cloud". Voodoo magic here. In a console war where the difference in bandwidth between DDR3 and GDDR5 is a huge difference, where the physical distance between RAM and CPU is an impediment, you are going to offload things to a server miles away? I also highly doubt there are 30k physical servers. More than likely it will be some sort of scalable server that can create virtual ones and thus 30k servers. This is pure conjecture on my part but whatever. Regardless, it is tiresome hearing "but 30k servers" as the answer to everything.

    I don't know if you've noticed but the response has been extremely negative and they are absolutely being trounced right now in the press and rightly so. I hope they fall and fall hard.

    I couldn't care less about license agreements and the legal voodoo that software makers feel like is their birthright. The value of books is in their content. The same with music and movies. They do not degrade after using them once. Yet, there is a second hand market for them. I can sell my movies on ebay, watch it today or 30 years from now, give it away, or throw it away. All without obtaining permission from anyone. I worked for my money. I spent my hard earned money on your product.

    Customs can be stronger than law. My first system was a NES. I owned it. I owned the cartridges. Games were $60-$80 a pop in 1980s dollars. Did I trade games? Damn right I did and it was glorious. The success rate of convincing parents to drop that kind of dough for games was extremely low. Each and every cartridge was a treasure. Mozying on over to a friends house with Super Mario Bros 3 while we all gathered round to watch someone play, maybe even let them hold on to it for a few days. That is console gaming to me. I'm not worried about my license to use the game. That is my expectation and experience thus far.

    If MS is successful with this, then consumer rights will have even further eroded. Once this ground has been given up, it will be almost impossible for consumers to regain it. We won't ever be able to own a game again.

    Basically, you will be leasing your console and games from MS and that very company will have the kill switch.

    Tinfoil hat? Yeah, whatever. Try playing Halo 2. I doubt Xbox One will be around 20 years from now. Why would I play old games? Some games are like old friends. I still play FFVII every now and again for the nostalgia, Kingdom Hearts is timeless, and maybe I want to share it with my kid in the future? Who knows? Regardless, it's not a matter of "why should I want to" as seems to be the gut response of the proponents of the Xbox One. The question is "why shouldn't I be able to".

    Rant over.

    I would like to thank you for your contribution to the further erosion of gamer and consumer rights. MS and the publishers thank you.
    I could not have said it better, Thank you!
    It's a pity that "we" are the minority and the future of the lemmings is up on us.

    Now I'm off to check the stock market and invest in tinfoil production companies, we'll need them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Never been to Heaven......
    Posts : 283
    Dual Boot: Back to W7 and Ubuntu 12.04


    Pure arrogance! This is the face of the new MS!!!!

    With gamers still smarting over the company’s $499 pricing announcement for the Xbox One, the head of the Xbox division has ruffled more feathers in addressing concerns about the system’s demand for a internet connection.

    "We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity - it's called Xbox 360," Don Mattrick told Geoff Keighley on GameTrailers.

    Link to story: Microsoft to gamers: No internet? Buy a 360 | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games

    Geeve
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 1,127
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    it's starting to look great on the family sharing front!

    here's what we knew before:
    How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

    Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.


    • Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing,you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
    • Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
    • Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.


    here's what was just added to the details:

    Microsoft defends the Xbox One’s licensing, used game policies | Ars Technica

    It's a "family" affair

    Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details but he did clarify some things.

    For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.

    You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system, and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.


    so let's play this scenario out:

    you are allowed up to 10 people per family list. you can choose who are your 9 family/friends. you have access to the whole gaming library of each family member. let's say person A owns 10 titles. person B owns 5 titles. person C owns 15 titles. person D owns 10 titles. that's 40 titles of games you can plan with the restriction being the game can be played by one person only simultaneously. now, expand this to a full list of 10 people and their entire gaming library. if you and your friends are clever, you can evenly buy different games and have a nice library.

    someone went back and looked at the terms and how it could be restrictive and arrived at this conclusion: it appears to restrict it as if one of your "family" is accessing your library, others cannot access your library during that time. meaning this... person A owns 10 games. person B owns 5 games. person C owns 15 games. person D owns 10 games. if person B is playing a game on person's A list of games, person C and person D cannot play a game from person A's list. however, that means person C can still play the games from person B, person C or person D. And between the 4 friends in this example, they should be able to figure out how which of the 40 pooled games to play without conflict. So even is this is the restriction, it would be a boon for a person to have access to each other's games. Now stretch this out to the full 10 person list and wow, that's a nice library. But I can laugh of the possibility of people going, "oh, you don't own enough games to be on my family list"

    Microsoft is already trying to eliminate the distinction between disc and digital. Once you install the disc, you no longer need the disc. And once you install the disc, you have the digital equivalent. And if you go play at another Xbox One system at your house or another house, you can play that digital game at whatever location (though of course, you have to either download it to that location or bring the disc with you to install it).

    lots of ways this could be restricted. maybe there's a time limit so that once you add a friend to the list, you cannot add/remove him immediately to prevent people constantly switching the list to play something else. like the license transfer which can only be switched once every 4 months on the 360. if there's a time limit, you might be inclined to save some slots for the future.

    Looking at this generation, many friends groups bought games together. the peer pressure factor to play the same game together. now, it's easy to say that if 10 friends each buy different games, everyone places nice and decides who plays what to not bump into the 1 person limit. but really, Kingdom Hearts 3 come out and friend B really wants to play it but friend A is busy with it. Is friend B going to really wait until friend A is done? most likely he's going to buy it himself. and most of the games are multiplayer. friends will not want to share a multiplayer game. they want Call of Duty, they'll buy CoD even if it's possible to share the game.

    if anything, I can see this family list as a way to entice people to buy more games. would you add a friend to that list that never buys games? of course not. I'm not having leeches on my list. I'd expect anyone on my list to buy at least comparably to me or to at least a respectable manner in line with their abilities. now, I understand people have varying levels of income but if they're my friend, I'd have some sense of what they can afford and I would definitely take that into consideration. one of my friends does the Gamestop rental (buy the game, beat it up for 7 days, then returns it for essentially a free 7 day rental). while I love playing with her, I'd definitely leave her off my list. does this design favor the rich? well, what system doesn't favor the rich? real estate speculation is mostly driven by the rich. and Microsoft and its partners would love to see that money. And another thing. If you and your friends are smartly buying different games, that essentially means a wider range of titles are being bought which can only be good for publishers since right now in the current market, it's the biggies that get the most sales while the lesser advertised games get the remaining crumbs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Houston, Texas
    Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by geeve420 View Post
    Pure arrogance! This is the face of the new MS!!!!

    With gamers still smarting over the company’s $499 pricing announcement for the Xbox One, the head of the Xbox division has ruffled more feathers in addressing concerns about the system’s demand for a internet connection.

    "We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity - it's called Xbox 360," Don Mattrick told Geoff Keighley on GameTrailers.

    Link to story: Microsoft to gamers: No internet? Buy a 360 | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games

    Geeve
    I think it is absolutely silly to tell customers stick with the old system if you can't get online. I work in the Oil and Gas Industry and all our rigs the guys have a system in the media room or sometimes in their own rooms if they are lucky enough to have a tv. They do not have internet connections though. Seems silly to me to completely dismiss potential customers and on top of it be so arrogant about it. They deserve to lose this era of the console wars if that is their attitude.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Well, it seem like the majority has spoken.





    Amazon thrilled by unprecedented preorders for Microsoft's Xbox One


    By Michael Archambault, Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:06 pm


    Yesterday, Amazon.com announced that they were blown away by a record breaking number of preorders for the Xbox One. The company noted that within four hours, they had sold through most of their Xbox One Day One Edition inventory.
    John Love, Director of US Video Games and Software at Amazon.com, stated that:
    “We were thrilled by the unprecedented demand we saw for Xbox One today. In the first four hours of preorder availability, we sold through most of our Xbox One Day One Edition inventory. Customers eager to get an Xbox One should visit our store at Amazon.com/xboxone to ensure they keep up-to-date on the latest information. We are excited to be working with Microsoft to deliver the next generation of games and entertainment”
    Despite harsh criticism for Xbox One’s need to check in online, inability to trade used games, and always on Kinect policy – the system is selling like hotcakes.
    Anyone, besides me, preorder an Xbox One yet?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    While I have never made a habit of coming here and bagging Win 8 or MS, for me, this is pretty-well the final straw from MS.

    Looks like Win 8 will be the last product of theirs that I'll purchase.

    This X-box One shambles, then the offensive and plainly ignorant comment by Don Mattrick, coming on top of their continued refusal to listen to Win 8 desktop users, and Sinofsky's 'smart' (not) remarks leads me to the conclusion that nothing will improve till the whole current management team is gone, including Ballmer.

    But by then, so will I.

    MS has screwed the pooch one too often for me. Obviously customers are now nothing but cash-cows, and it's all about the money. Well, they're not getting any more of mine, and they've only themselves to blame.

    I'm voting with my wallet, and it's screaming LINUX! at me right now.

    Why should I be expected to show loyalty to a company who obviously has none for me?



    Wenda.


    EDIT: No, I do not own an X-Box, and after this I never will.

    Not even if it was free.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post
    Well, it seem like the majority has spoken.





    Amazon thrilled by unprecedented preorders for Microsoft's Xbox One


    By Michael Archambault, Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:06 pm


    Yesterday, Amazon.com announced that they were blown away by a record breaking number of preorders for the Xbox One. The company noted that within four hours, they had sold through most of their Xbox One Day One Edition inventory.
    John Love, Director of US Video Games and Software at Amazon.com, stated that:
    “We were thrilled by the unprecedented demand we saw for Xbox One today. In the first four hours of preorder availability, we sold through most of our Xbox One Day One Edition inventory. Customers eager to get an Xbox One should visit our store at Amazon.com/xboxone to ensure they keep up-to-date on the latest information. We are excited to be working with Microsoft to deliver the next generation of games and entertainment”
    Despite harsh criticism for Xbox One’s need to check in online, inability to trade used games, and always on Kinect policy – the system is selling like hotcakes.
    Anyone, besides me, preorder an Xbox One yet?

    It's interesting that you should think it's a matter for laughter.

    I do not.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post
    Well, it seem like the majority has spoken.





    Amazon thrilled by unprecedented preorders for Microsoft's Xbox One



    By Michael Archambault, Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:06 pm


    Yesterday, Amazon.com announced that they were blown away by a record breaking number of preorders for the Xbox One. The company noted that within four hours, they had sold through most of their Xbox One Day One Edition inventory.
    John Love, Director of US Video Games and Software at Amazon.com, stated that:
    “We were thrilled by the unprecedented demand we saw for Xbox One today. In the first four hours of preorder availability, we sold through most of our Xbox One Day One Edition inventory. Customers eager to get an Xbox One should visit our store at Amazon.com/xboxone to ensure they keep up-to-date on the latest information. We are excited to be working with Microsoft to deliver the next generation of games and entertainment”
    Despite harsh criticism for Xbox One’s need to check in online, inability to trade used games, and always on Kinect policy – the system is selling like hotcakes.
    Anyone, besides me, preorder an Xbox One yet?
    I am remembering the Surface Pro sales they sold all in just a few hours all 10 of them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Sony kills Xbox One -where now for MS
Related Threads
Hi all! New 8.1 user here, I'll try not to rant...lol I like and am used to Microsoft Works calendar. I installed it no problem. When I use the import option in Works Calendar the program closes and disappears. As an option I've tried manually moving the data files to the calendar directory but...
Mozilla kills Firefox browser for Windows 8 Metro | PCWorld
Hello Guys, I am gonna buy a new gaming console and as the release of both the next Generation Gaming Console are near so I want to get one from this both. So, please help me Which One Should I get? I have heard good things about the PS4 but still Xbox One looks better and its from Microsoft....
Hi guys, I have a new desktop PC, cyber power battalion 502 running windows 8. When I boot this machine up internet access stops to all my other devices including laptops, tablets and phones. If I reset the router then all devices get good internet connection including the win 8 PC. I...
Office 2007 Kills Synaptics in Drivers & Hardware
Every time I open an Office 2007 application, after a few seconds the Synaptics Driver disables. The icon disappears from the taskbar tray and gestures, such as two-finger scrolling and swiping to switch applications or conjure the charms bare, stop working. When I open the mouse properties, I...
My PC kills networks. in Network & Sharing
I must be bad luck. My PC, which has gone through several hardware changes over the last year seems to kill networks. I have to reset my router daily. I've had the same issue with 3 diff routers, 3 diff network cards, and using both Windows 7 and Windows 8. Same issue wireless or wired. I do a lot...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook