Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Warning! Users will have to reinstall all apps...

  1. #1


    Bay Area
    Posts : 21,842
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64

    Warning! Users will have to reinstall all apps...


    warning   Warning
    Users will have to reinstall all apps if they opt for Windows 8.1 beta



    Beginning June 26, users will be able to download the beta or preview version of Windows 8.1 fairly simply, via the Windows Store. But Microsoft officials confirm that upgrading to the final RTM build will include a gotcha—you’ll need to reinstall all of your apps.

    Put another way, Windows RT users will be forced to reinstall all of the “Metro” apps (now known as modern apps) they’ve added to the OS, once the final RTM version is released.

    And Windows 8 users will be forced to reinstall all of the modern-stype apps and all of the desktop apps they’ve added—a real pain for anyone with a well-populated system, according to ZDNet, which first reported the story.
    Source

    A Guy

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    For FYI though, according to zdnet....

    Windows 8 users who do not install the preview build and opt instead to go straight from Windows 8/Windows RT to Windows 8.1 will not have to reinstall their apps. All settings, data and apps will carry over, a spokesperson said when I asked. Users will be able to decide when and if they want to move from Windows 8 and Windows RT to the 8.1 versions, officials stressed.
    Microsoft goes public with Windows 8.1 upgrade policies | ZDNet

    So if you choose to forgo the beta, you won't have to reinstall your apps.

    Anyway something like this was already posted, I just don't remember the title. Found it: Microsoft goes public with Windows 8.1 upgrade policies
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    I'm sorry, desktop apps? I assume this means that if I choose to use the 8.1 Preview when I then upgrade to the final version that I will have to reinstall every software program I currently use? So essentially it would be like doing a 'clean install' of the windows 8.1 image.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by lilsting10 View Post
    I'm sorry, desktop apps? I assume this means that if I choose to use the 8.1 Preview when I then upgrade to the final version that I will have to reinstall every software program I currently use? So essentially it would be like doing a 'clean install' of the windows 8.1 image.
    Read the links carefully, it just says apps - like from the apps store, not all your programs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsting10 View Post
    I'm sorry, desktop apps? I assume this means that if I choose to use the 8.1 Preview when I then upgrade to the final version that I will have to reinstall every software program I currently use? So essentially it would be like doing a 'clean install' of the windows 8.1 image.
    Read the links carefully, it just says apps - like from the apps store, not all your programs.
    ?

    "And Windows 8 users will be forced to reinstall all of the modern-stype apps and all of the desktop apps they’ve added—a real pain for anyone with a well-populated system"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by lilsting10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsting10 View Post
    I'm sorry, desktop apps? I assume this means that if I choose to use the 8.1 Preview when I then upgrade to the final version that I will have to reinstall every software program I currently use? So essentially it would be like doing a 'clean install' of the windows 8.1 image.
    Read the links carefully, it just says apps - like from the apps store, not all your programs.
    ?

    "And Windows 8 users will be forced to reinstall all of the modern-stype apps and all of the desktop apps they’ve added—a real pain for anyone with a well-populated system"
    OK, that's exactly what I said. You're the one that mentioned "programs".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Hafnarfjörđur IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    PREVIEW builds mean just that -- a PREVIEW -- they aren't intended to be used as Production machines. I can't find any inconsistency in Ms saying if you want to upgrade from the 8.1 PREVIEW to the final release system then you would essentially have to re-install everything.

    Now going from the CURRENT 8 release to the final 8.1 system is another issue -- not sure yet what users will have to do here.

    In any case why don't you either run the PREVIEW system as a Virtual Machine or take an image backup of your current W8 system before installing the PREVIEW. Then when the final release comes out you should be able to restore your standard W8 system and upgrade.

    We shall have to wait and see exactly what the preview does and waht Ms's actual statements are on the 8.1 Final release. My advice here is to backup any W8 system you have before blindingly going ahead with the preview -- or better run it as a VM.

    I wouldn't always take everything that appears in ZDNET articles as Gospel Truth.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    I wouldn't always take everything that appears in ZDNET articles as Gospel Truth.
    I would apply that to a lot of "sources" but...

    Until it's released, it's just speculation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by lilsting10 View Post
    "And Windows 8 users will be forced to reinstall all of the modern-stype apps and all of the desktop apps they’ve added—a real pain for anyone with a well-populated system"
    Seriously, desktop apps too...friggin' microsoft......
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsting10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post

    Read the links carefully, it just says apps - like from the apps store, not all your programs.
    ?

    "And Windows 8 users will be forced to reinstall all of the modern-stype apps and all of the desktop apps they’ve added—a real pain for anyone with a well-populated system"
    OK, that's exactly what I said. You're the one that mentioned "programs".
    I do believe "desktop apps" are your regular windows programs. Modern-style apps would be the app store. If that's the case your going to have to install more than just your Metro apps. Might as well say its a clean install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Warning! Users will have to reinstall all apps...
Related Threads
How to Reinstall Apps on Windows Phone 8 from a Computer Online If you accidentally delete an app—or ever have to replace your phone—you can reinstall apps or games you've bought without paying for them again (as long as they're still available in the Windows Phone Store). This tutorial...
I am new to Windows 8, I had a corrupt update, it was fixed, but my tile format is completely not how it should look...plus my built in apps, specifically photos, are gone...How do I fix this?????
1. Wanted to post this issue with Windows 8 PRO 64 bit recently. 2. My Apps stopped working and all recovery efforts failed to get them working again. 3. Ran several malware and anti-virus programs and still no help to get my Apps working again. 4. I click on an App and the display just...
Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall a Metro app that does not appear on your start screen, or on your computer at all? Here's what happened: I went to the start screen this afternoon and somehow all of my metro apps except for Store and Explorer were gone from the start screen. I go to...
Apps not visible to other users in Software and Apps
First post here. After many research, it seems i can't find any way to make Apps installed on my "main" account available on all my child accounts... I installed some game apps that i would like them to be able to use, but they don't appear on their start screen, nor in the "all apps" screen on...
Reinstall Metro apps? in Software and Apps
I wonder what the best way is to reinstall a Metro UI app? I am thinking of the Metro UI Wikipedia app. It recently started crashing at start up, but had been working just fine. On the iPad, uninstalling and reinstalling an app, is the way to clear corrupt settings. On Android there is a clear...
How to Allow or Prevent Users to Uninstall Apps from Start in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent all or specific users from being able to uninstall apps from the Start screen in Windows 8 and 8.1. You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook