Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Whats New In Windows 8.1 (Springboard Series)

  1. #1


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)

    Whats New In Windows 8.1 (Springboard Series)


    We built Windows 8 to bring a modern computing experience to businesses and to help professionals stay connected to their colleagues and clients from anywhere, anytime. Windows 8.1 advances this vision and introduces new manageability, mobility, security, user experience and networking capabilities that will be available later this year – with the goal of offering customers the best business tablets and versatile modern business PCs driven by the most powerful operating system designed for today’s modern businesses.
    Source: Link
    Last edited by Brink; 06 Jun 2013 at 00:58. Reason: Fixed format

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    Most of that article is about as understandable to most "normal" users as if it were written in "Jovian" or some other extra terrestrial language-- but the last bits about Booting to desktop and managing multiple applications on several monitors seems good.

    Not long to go now before a "proper" preview is available - TechNet and MSDN subscribers should get it soon.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there

    Not long to go now before a "proper" preview is available - TechNet and MSDN subscribers should get it soon.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    yeah, no notification of it yet ,just checked msnd and it not up yet ,so soon it will be guess
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    TechNet and MSDN users will probably get an e-mail announcement when the preview is up. The fact that MS is talking about it more and more seems to indicate that it's very close: I know the public preview will be out in late June but it would be nice ot get it a little sooner.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    We built Windows 8 to bring a modern computing experience to businesses and to help professionals stay connected to their colleagues and clients from anywhere, anytime. Windows 8.1 advances this vision and introduces new manageability, mobility, security, user experience and networking capabilities that will be available later this year – with the goal of offering customers the best business tablets and versatile modern business PCs driven by the most powerful operating system designed for today’s modern businesses.
    Kinda reminds me of all those denials by the Iraqi minister of information back when the US had occupied Baghdad...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    We built Windows 8 to bring a modern computing experience to businesses and to help professionals stay connected to their colleagues and clients from anywhere, anytime. Windows 8.1 advances this vision and introduces new manageability, mobility, security, user experience and networking capabilities that will be available later this year – with the goal of offering customers the best business tablets and versatile modern business PCs driven by the most powerful operating system designed for today’s modern businesses.
    Kinda reminds me of all those denials by the Iraqi minister of information back when the US had occupied Baghdad...
    Modern blah blah modern blah blah modern blah blah. Modern business's do not need or want the 'modern' interface AT ALL. They want and need Windows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Worried about the lack of news about the horrible notification system on W8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    What does this mean - "Springboard Series"? - The Springboard is the Desktop of iOS. Windows 8 (RT) HAS no Springboard, because it has no DESKTOP.

    You can use Animated Wallpapers on iOS, can ya do that with 8? Nope - So they should stop trying to use Apple terminology to describe something that is not even similar in 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    What does this mean - "Springboard Series"? - The Springboard is the Desktop of iOS. Windows 8 (RT) HAS no Springboard, because it has no DESKTOP.

    You can use Animated Wallpapers on iOS, can ya do that with 8? Nope - So they should stop trying to use Apple terminology to describe something that is not even similar in 8.
    Chill out brah and take a deep breath into a paperbag.

    Besides, pretty sure there are animated backgrounds in 8.1. Something about a dragon in the demo video for 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Haha! Ok I will. I'd rather have a Joint though. Hold your horses, I meant a Beef Joint!

    So is this what they are doing? They are stealing bunches of concepts from iOS and now stealing the NAME of the iOS Desktop?

    Springboard is the Explorer.exe of iOS - It works in the exact same way, it is the basis of the whole GUI. Just like Explorer.exe is the basis of the entire Windows GUI- Even the Metro Side is run from Explorer. Know why? Because if the Explorer process stops, your Metro Screen stops too.

    On iOS, if the Springboard crashes, it has to restart just like Explorer does, it will crash for the same reasons Explorer will crash.

    The Only reason why I don't like M$ using the name "Springboard" for their Device 8 OS, is that it is VERY different from iOS Springboard.

    Everybody Pans Apple, but then what do they do, they turn around and design Devices, OS's and now NAMES of parts of an OS which are Blatant copies of iOS things.

    Anyway - the only way to actually APPLY a animated wallpaper to iOS is to JailBeak. Break. So, 8.1 will have Dreamscape for the Metro Shell eh? Is that what the Dragoon is?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Whats New In Windows 8.1 (Springboard Series)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook