Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 to let you secure folders with fingerprint

  1. #1


    Posts : 22,568
    64-bit Windows 10

    Windows 8.1 to let you secure folders with fingerprint


    The update to Windows 8 will natively support fingerprint recognition, letting users sign into accounts and lock down folders with a single swipe.
    Read more at: Windows 8.1 to let you secure folders with your fingerprint | Microsoft - CNET News

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    That would be a nice feature. My new laptop has a fingerprint reader and I use it to log into Windows. It would be nice to be able to lock down specific files or folders with it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Aye....that is a cool feature.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    I like that lots.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    New Zealand
    Posts : 91
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1


    No not for me. I am sure I saw this one time in a movie, in a scene involving a set of bolt cutters.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Yes. "It's a nice feature"... to see... but let's hope hackers won't need to learn how to cut fingers to keep their jobs. LOL

    I won't be using it for the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by McRuff View Post
    No not for me. I am sure I saw this one time in a movie, in a scene involving a set of bolt cutters.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Portland, Oregon, USA
    Posts : 182
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64


    This reminds me of a cold-boot attack method that can be used to gain access to the contents of an encrypted drive/partition/volume (I use full disk encryption so that's why I mention this). All encryption programs store your passkey in RAM, and RAM is believed to be volatile, it's supposed to be completely flushed within a few minutes of powering off. But if an attacker can gain access to your RAM sticks within a very short time of your PC being powered off, they can freeze it for awhile with a can of compressed air and then extract your key from memory with forensics tools. This helps preserve the contents long enough for them to get at your passkey. I suppose any fingerprint authentication program works in a similar way, so if your digitized fingerprint can be extracted from RAM then theoretically they could use that to authenticate as you, without needing your actual finger or a biometric device. As things stand now there's not really anything that can be done to prevent this, except for engineers to rethink how RAM is designed to work.

    Just thought I'd put something out there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    New Zealand
    Posts : 91
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    but let's hope hackers won't need to learn how to cut fingers to keep their jobs.
    I wonder where the name hackers came from?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    This reminds me of a cold-boot attack method that can be used to gain access to the contents of an encrypted drive/partition/volume (I use full disk encryption so that's why I mention this). All encryption programs store your passkey in RAM, and RAM is believed to be volatile, it's supposed to be completely flushed within a few minutes of powering off. But if an attacker can gain access to your RAM sticks within a very short time of your PC being powered off, they can freeze it for awhile with a can of compressed air and then extract your key from memory with forensics tools. This helps preserve the contents long enough for them to get at your passkey. I suppose any fingerprint authentication program works in a similar way, so if your digitized fingerprint can be extracted from RAM then theoretically they could use that to authenticate as you, without needing your actual finger or a biometric device.

    Just thought I'd put something out there.
    Thanks for the info.
    All the things they come up with... you always get impressed by something.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by McRuff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    but let's hope hackers won't need to learn how to cut fingers to keep their jobs.
    I wonder where the name hackers came from?
    Oops! Some joke I made there...
    The topic is security after all, from there the hackers.
    That all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1 to let you secure folders with fingerprint
Related Threads
Fingerprint reader issues in Drivers & Hardware
Hello all, I'm having issues with my fingerprint reader on my pavilion DM4. It shows up in Biometric Devices in Device Manager, and even shows that it is functioning, but in HP SimplePass and 8.1 Settings there is no option to enroll a finger as a password logon -- the option is greyed out...
Run as different user - no fingerprint option in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hello, I have faced problem with logging in. Screen shoots will describe it the best way. When I try to use RDP or WorkResources the prompt for password looks like: 51100 I can use my finger to authenticate. But when I choose option Run as different user from right click menu it looks...
I'm using a Dell Venue 11 Pro with a Fingerprint scanner. I am able to use my fingerprint to logon to Windows. When prompted for credentials for my VPN connection there is an option to use the fingerprint reader, but I cannot find a way to register a fingerprint with my VPN account credentials,...
fingerprint reader for Win 8.1 in Drivers & Hardware
I am interested in one for a) Windows logon, and b) RoboForm use. there used to be some available called Eikon UPEK, but Apple bought that company & now it seems there's only OEM vendors who sell the technology to notebook vendors. Is anyone still making this stuff or is it and Windows...
How to Add or Remove Fingerprints for Your Account in Windows 8.1 A fingerprint reader is a device that uses your fingerprint to identify you. It works by scanning an image of your fingerprint, and then saving a registered copy of it. When you need to identify yourself, such as when signing...
8.1 start-up with Fingerprint in General Support
In Win 8 I could start the machine by swiping fingerprint and it would take me straight to the metro screen of my account in windows. This was using Lenovo fingerprint reader software which is incompatible with 8.1 as 8.1 has fingerprint log-on built in. In 8.1 RTM when I start the machine (or...
Solved Fingerprint logon? in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hi, Does anyone know how to enable fingerprint logon in Windows 8? I'm using a Toshiba Portege R830 and I've installed the fingerprint utility + enrolled my fingerprints, but during the logon process, it doesn't prompt me for my fingerprint. I couldn't find a place to enable fingerprint logon...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook