Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Will enterprises buy into the new Windows vision?

  1. #1

    Will enterprises buy into the new Windows vision?


    Microsoft's new vision of Windows might make sense to consumers, but for enterprises, is there any draw to using anything other than the desktop?
    There are zero examples of business apps where the Windows Store app counterpart is better than the old Windows desktop counterpart. So, assuming your user base does not contain a majority of masochists married into the new Windows vision for the sheer joy of it, they're all going to spend their time in the old Windows world.
    Will enterprises buy into the new Windows vision? | ZDNet

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 123
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE


    And that is the reason that Lenovo is doing well in the desktop market right now while everyone else is failing. They allow us to have Windows 7 instead of forcing us to Windows 8. By this time next year, we will have purchased over 1,200 new machines, all with Windows 7 on it.
    There isn't one app in the Windows Store that will perform like the desktop version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Dell also allows sales of Windows 7. Most of their business machines are all on 7 on the website.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Dell also allows sales of Windows 7. Most of their business machines are all on 7 on the website.
    Maybe they could generate more sales if they also allowed Windows 7 sales on the consumer side also?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    I don't think it would make much of a difference really. Most people aren't buying pc's these days. One piece of software makes 8 mostly palatable, classic shell our start 8. One is free and one is $5.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Yes, but it will take about 7 to 10 years. It's the same reasoning with the iphone, not many in the enterprise thought it was even to be used over a blackberry, but since the whole consumer space picked it up and has demonstrated it is a proven technology, it is being used in the enterprise along with the ipad primarily for ios.

    The enterprise isn't quite to change things like that until it's proven. Time will show.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Yes, but it will take about 7 to 10 years. It's the same reasoning with the iphone, not many in the enterprise thought it was even to be used over a blackberry, but since the whole consumer space picked it up and has demonstrated it is a proven technology, it is being used in the enterprise along with the ipad primarily for ios.

    The enterprise isn't quite to change things like that until it's proven. Time will show.
    With BlackBerry, they were very well liked by IT because they could be controlled, remotely wiped, etc. It was a real shock when iPhones made inroads into enterprise because their was no control over the device. I'm still shocked that enterprises were as willing to go with consumer grade technology, but it was what people wanted and desired..plain and simple. So we have given what we valued as #1 to allow people to be happy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by turbofish View Post
    And that is the reason that Lenovo is doing well in the desktop market right now while everyone else is failing. They allow us to have Windows 7 instead of forcing us to Windows 8. By this time next year, we will have purchased over 1,200 new machines, all with Windows 7 on it.
    There isn't one app in the Windows Store that will perform like the desktop version
    Don't blame Windows 8 for slumping PC sales - Apr. 17, 2013

    That's an opinion piece talking about the paradigm shift that's responsible for the slumps of PC sales. People like to blame windows 8 because they can put a face on it. But PC sales started decreasing back in 2010 and really took a nose dive between 2011 and 2012. Both of these periods were long before windows 8 came out.

    Regarding your last sentence. Again, you sound like there is no desktop in windows 8 that takes advantage of the millions of apps written for the desktop. Is there a reason why you think windows 8 doesn't have a desktop?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 123
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE


    It's a statement that modern UI apps can't have the power, features of a full desktop app. Looks at what most of the Modern UI apps are, converted phone apps. Why would I want a Facebook app when I get a faster and better experience when I go directly to Facebook using the browser of my choice? Same with news apps. I get more content and a better experience by going directly to the site itself. Modern UI Mail over Outlook 2013? Even the little games have usually been ported over to a better app via a browser. And none of these apps belong to an enterprise market where surfing Facebook, news, playing games is not likely to be acceptable work time spent. There aren't enterprise apps in Microsoft store!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by turbofish View Post
    It's a statement that modern UI apps can't have the power, features of a full desktop app. Looks at what most of the Modern UI apps are, converted phone apps. Why would I want a Facebook app when I get a faster and better experience when I go directly to Facebook using the browser of my choice? Same with news apps. I get more content and a better experience by going directly to the site itself. Modern UI Mail over Outlook 2013? Even the little games have usually been ported over to a better app via a browser. And none of these apps belong to an enterprise market where surfing Facebook, news, playing games is not likely to be acceptable work time spent. There aren't enterprise apps in Microsoft store!
    I don't think the metro apps are intended to be used on a desktop pc, for now at least. Again, why do you even bother thinking about it? You sound like the desktop environment is gone for good.

    I don't play games, except starcraft which I play from time to time, and I don't have an fb account. I spend most of my time in the modern environment except when I'm writing a report.

    I still don't get where the sentiment is coming from. You sound like the desktop is gone. Nobody is saying the metro apps are better than the desktop ones. You dislike the metro apps, we get it. There are millions of desktop apps for you to choose from that will run fine on your w8 machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Will enterprises buy into the new Windows vision?
Related Threads
Read more at: More on Microsoft's SKU-morphic Windows vision | ZDNet
Enterprises lukewarm on building Windows 8 tablet apps | CITEworld Traditional Windows users seem to be saying no to the new Windows.
Source A Guy
Almost every option in vision engine is gone. I can't manage my lcds etc or use hydravision. All of the stuff that is normally in vision engine is just not there anymore. I have had this issue since I loaded 8. I did get the display driver in and .net3.5 but there is nothing in vision engine no...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook