Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Users Mixed on Microsoft’s Anti-iPad Windows 8 Ad

  1. #21


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    Exactly, people don't know that Windows 8 is out there to make rubbish of the ipad, the average consumer isn't going to figure that out sooner than later; which is why there is a thing called marketing to show that exact point. Call it murky, but that's the best way to market something like that. When you have a crowd of people that buy apple products "because it's apple," they're not going to acknowledge Windows 8 or android. Just the way it is.

    But I STRONGLY disagree with you on a better touch Windows 7 tablet PC...um, it's called Windows 8. Go to the Desktop on 8 with a tablet PC, do the same with a 7 based tablet PC, what do you get?

    Actually, depending on the laptop itself, battery life can get up to over three easily. Ultrabooks do this easily. RT tablets do this very easily. Atom based tablet PCs with 8 do this as well.

    I'd LOVE to see a mac running Windows 8, I believe it would honestly look SO much nicer than the leather stitched, chrome polished UI of mac os x.

    Well, at this time Windows 8 is not able to make rubbish of the iPad - At least not yet. I've never seen a Windows 7 Tablet - Well actually I have but I never tried one out. I have seen Windows 8 Tablets and I have tried THEM out, but this was before I knew all about it. But my thought was, "THIS is supposed to be better than an iPad?" - Well, in order for that kind of aggressive adversarial marketing to work, ya have to have the goods to back up your spout, and Windows 8 is severely short in this.

    I'm sure if I got one somehow, and tried it out, I may change my mind. Just like I changed my mind about iPhones - When I was given an original, 8 GB iPhone, I loved it, despite the "shortcomings" of lack of storage and no GPS for the model I had. But still, I used it for over a year until my cat vomited chocolate milk all over it.

    My Brother have me his wife's old original iPhone as a replacement, and it was the first one I ever Jailbroke, because it no longer could be activated any other way. But that year, My brother bought me a brand new iPhone 4 for my birthday - 32 Gig. I used Jailbreakme.com to JB it, and I blew it when I tried to UD to iOS 5. because I did it via the OTA update, which bricked me. However I got a nice guy at the Apple Store who gave me a brand new one - THAT one never bricked, and I sold it for 400 bucks worth of hardware.

    I tell this history because prior to actually HAVING an iPhone, I despised them. I had a Treo with a huge memory card in it. It had BUTTONS, it had a Stylus - You see, I was USED to all those things. I was used to the tactile feel of the buttons and I could text in the dark. Not so with an iPhone, but found other ways around this. and when I got an iPhone 4S, I had the Assistant, and now I use that to do everything, I even have a hands free so when the phone is fast asleep, I can say "Computer..." and siri pops up. And I can just TELL it what I want it to do.

    Now, the one thing I like with Microsoft is their Speech Software, usually it works great. I have found out, the less training you do, the better it works. Now, Speech is NATIVE in Windows 8 - and I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A TABLET! So I can try it out (Sorry for Yelling).

    Yes, my next big purchase will be a used Macbook Pro, and I WILL be sticking Windows 8 into it. I am a huge proponent of Bootcamp, it is one of the best things Apple has ever done. They will not support OSx86 on Steve Jobs final directive, he shut down Darwin support himself - I hated him for that. But he did this Bootcamp thing which is great. The Windows 7 Bootcamp drivers should work well for 8.

    Cross Platforming is a very important thing to me, I have been trying for years to find just the right OSx86 build to work in my machines. Still Looking.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I'm surprised they aren't using a Surface RT tablet for the comparison...

    October for apple basically will be the release of a terrible knockoff of a Windows Phone in the form of ios 7. Latest report claims the UI will be black, white, and flat. apple's not going to release anything innovative because "they're the best."
    They are. Please see up a couple posts for a new spot.
    That's still the ASUS Vivo RT tablet. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    I don't see this as anti iPad, they are simply trying to show why they feel their device is superior..even though it seems that people aren't buying it much.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    Exactly, people don't know that Windows 8 is out there to make rubbish of the ipad, the average consumer isn't going to figure that out sooner than later; which is why there is a thing called marketing to show that exact point. Call it murky, but that's the best way to market something like that. When you have a crowd of people that buy apple products "because it's apple," they're not going to acknowledge Windows 8 or android. Just the way it is.

    But I STRONGLY disagree with you on a better touch Windows 7 tablet PC...um, it's called Windows 8. Go to the Desktop on 8 with a tablet PC, do the same with a 7 based tablet PC, what do you get?

    Actually, depending on the laptop itself, battery life can get up to over three easily. Ultrabooks do this easily. RT tablets do this very easily. Atom based tablet PCs with 8 do this as well.

    I'd LOVE to see a mac running Windows 8, I believe it would honestly look SO much nicer than the leather stitched, chrome polished UI of mac os x.

    Well, at this time Windows 8 is not able to make rubbish of the iPad - At least not yet. I've never seen a Windows 7 Tablet - Well actually I have but I never tried one out. I have seen Windows 8 Tablets and I have tried THEM out, but this was before I knew all about it. But my thought was, "THIS is supposed to be better than an iPad?" - Well, in order for that kind of aggressive adversarial marketing to work, ya have to have the goods to back up your spout, and Windows 8 is severely short in this.

    I'm sure if I got one somehow, and tried it out, I may change my mind. Just like I changed my mind about iPhones - When I was given an original, 8 GB iPhone, I loved it, despite the "shortcomings" of lack of storage and no GPS for the model I had. But still, I used it for over a year until my cat vomited chocolate milk all over it.

    My Brother have me his wife's old original iPhone as a replacement, and it was the first one I ever Jailbroke, because it no longer could be activated any other way. But that year, My brother bought me a brand new iPhone 4 for my birthday - 32 Gig. I used Jailbreakme.com to JB it, and I blew it when I tried to UD to iOS 5. because I did it via the OTA update, which bricked me. However I got a nice guy at the Apple Store who gave me a brand new one - THAT one never bricked, and I sold it for 400 bucks worth of hardware.

    I tell this history because prior to actually HAVING an iPhone, I despised them. I had a Treo with a huge memory card in it. It had BUTTONS, it had a Stylus - You see, I was USED to all those things. I was used to the tactile feel of the buttons and I could text in the dark. Not so with an iPhone, but found other ways around this. and when I got an iPhone 4S, I had the Assistant, and now I use that to do everything, I even have a hands free so when the phone is fast asleep, I can say "Computer..." and siri pops up. And I can just TELL it what I want it to do.

    Now, the one thing I like with Microsoft is their Speech Software, usually it works great. I have found out, the less training you do, the better it works. Now, Speech is NATIVE in Windows 8 - and I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A TABLET! So I can try it out (Sorry for Yelling).

    Yes, my next big purchase will be a used Macbook Pro, and I WILL be sticking Windows 8 into it. I am a huge proponent of Bootcamp, it is one of the best things Apple has ever done. They will not support OSx86 on Steve Jobs final directive, he shut down Darwin support himself - I hated him for that. But he did this Bootcamp thing which is great. The Windows 7 Bootcamp drivers should work well for 8.

    Cross Platforming is a very important thing to me, I have been trying for years to find just the right OSx86 build to work in my machines. Still Looking.
    Considering what Windows 8 tablets PCs offer, it beats out the ipad hardcore. It's a nice all in one package that simplifies computing device needs for less cost, better practicality, greater flexibility, and unique than a freak. I've had the experience of using a Surface RT for a few days, even with the RT, I was pretty much sold on the experience. Then again, I don't place a high need on blown up ios/android apps like one would with an ipad or android tablet. It's rather ironic, on one hand, Microsoft is wanting to push away from the Desktop for legitimate reasons, and yet the Desktop is actually one of the best reasons why to buy a Windows tablet. I was once in the market a couple years ago for a laptop, but I was so fed up with EVERYTHING out there because there wasn't anything unique or better than anything else from any OEM. But then I saw this one ASUS tablet PC with 7, with a core i5 and a stylus, that is what I really wanted. Terribly expensive, but then came along with Windows 8 and a better promise of better computing on every PC. I still haven't gotten around to buying a tablet PC since I just don't have the need for one right now, maybe later this fall or next fall; but for right now I'm going to be plunking down a good thousand and a half as well as several months building a whole desktop PC from the literal ground up designed in part by Windows 8.

    I've actually tried out speech recognition on several PCs that I've played with in stores. They're usually pretty decent, I've found MORE training makes it work better, along with properly configuring your microphone (you really do need a decent microphone). But I REALLY wish Microsoft would make speech in Windows 8 like on the Xbox One. I watched the whole reveal event last night on youtube and it was just so freaking cool how you can say, "Xbox: go home," or "Xbox: watch ESPN" like it's freaking Star Trek! That's the most perfect way to utilize speech on Windows. Star Trek had it figured out WELL before anyone else, you must say, "Computer" to start speech commands. But instead, it could be, "Windows, go to sleep" or "Windows, open Internet Explorer." It's really a tad murky when you use speech recognition on Windows while playing music, too much interference if you don't position the mic well enough.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    And even with as good and awesome as you claim these devices are, you still haven't actually spent any money out of pocket on them, have you?

    For me, that speaks volumes more than all these words that I see you type.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    And even with as good and awesome as you claim these devices are, you still haven't actually spent any money out of pocket on them, have you?

    For me, that speaks volumes more than all these words that I see you type.
    No, because I don't personally need these devices at the moment. I don't really find the logic in having to spend thousands of dollars just to convince words on the internet I "stand" behind whatever. I'll buy what I want to buy when I want to buy. Right now, I would rather spend thousands on a high end graphics/home server/gaming rig with an impressive 23 or 27 inch touchscreen monitor preferably with pressure sensitivity.

    When I DO have the need for a tablet PC, I already know what I'm buying. When people ask me what a good tablet to buy or what a good Windows 8 PC to buy, I will bloody know.

    But then again, I like to live a Spartan life style, want not, waste not. I don't want to have four different game consoles, a chromebook for forum browsing, an android tablet for my niece to use, three PCs for whatever, ect. I would rather have one great desktop that is an all in one device. Called it, PC One.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Right now, I would rather spend thousands on a high end graphics/home server/gaming rig with an impressive 23 or 27 inch touchscreen monitor preferably with pressure sensitivity.
    I will agree with you there, these are far more usable, functional, powerful and upgradeable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    But then again, I like to live a Spartan life style, want not, waste not. I don't want to have four different game consoles, a chromebook for forum browsing, an android tablet for my niece to use, three PCs for whatever, ect. I would rather have one great desktop that is an all in one device. Called it, PC One.
    Our needs are very different. I don't really want 4 different game consoles either, but with 2 young kids and Nintendo far better catering to the kids market, I've got a Wii-U for them. Personally, I game on an Xbox360 as I like the controller better. And I have a PS3 because I love Gran Turismo and it's exclusive to the Playstation and the PS3 is a great blu-ray player so that's what I use for my BluRay's. And the family uses the PS3 for NetFlix and Hulu because we like the PS3 interface much better. So, sadly I do have multiple game consoles.

    I do have a chromebook and I'm using it right now. It's tiny, it's great to type on and it was only $249. So, if my kids damage it, then I am not out a lot. And the kids cannot install anything onto this, nor infect it with malware or spyware so it's ideal for basic web surfing tasks. I stared reading this thread on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (provided by work), but when I realized how much I wanted to type and the fact that I would quote you a few times, I set the phone down and grabbed the chromebook.

    I do have a android tablet (an Asus Transformer). I bought it for 2 reasons.
    1. Get hands on experience and try to figure out the appeal of tablets
    2. Portable use for my kids. They use it for YouTube videos, Netflix, etc.


    Honestly, out of all of the devices I ever bought, the tablet is the least useful. I don't completely regret the purchase, but it's by far the least useful computer type device I own.

    I don't want 1 and only 1 PC. With multiple family members using the computer, I don't want to share and I don't want to risk security by allowing my kids to use my computer. My computer is mine and only mine. Nobody screws it up but me.

    I have a file server that houses my important stuff, and shares out drives and printers. The family can depend upon this computer running 24x7. No matter what I play with on my workstation, or how many upgrades I try or new operating systems, there is never a concern the server will be up. It's a dedicated box that is never touched.

    Finally, I find value in multiple devices because when one does experience a hardware failure and is down and out, I have others that I can use in the interim.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    I finally saw one of these ads, to say they are ludicrous is generous. Windows 8 in NO WAY can replace an iPad, can't be compared to an iPad, isn't even the same kind of Device an iPad IS.

    Microsoft can only imitate an iPad, they cannot ever convince people that it's a viable iPad replacement. Not even close.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    Exactly, people don't know that Windows 8 is out there to make rubbish of the ipad, the average consumer isn't going to figure that out sooner than later; which is why there is a thing called marketing to show that exact point. Call it murky, but that's the best way to market something like that. When you have a crowd of people that buy apple products "because it's apple," they're not going to acknowledge Windows 8 or android. Just the way it is.

    But I STRONGLY disagree with you on a better touch Windows 7 tablet PC...um, it's called Windows 8. Go to the Desktop on 8 with a tablet PC, do the same with a 7 based tablet PC, what do you get?

    Actually, depending on the laptop itself, battery life can get up to over three easily. Ultrabooks do this easily. RT tablets do this very easily. Atom based tablet PCs with 8 do this as well.

    I'd LOVE to see a mac running Windows 8, I believe it would honestly look SO much nicer than the leather stitched, chrome polished UI of mac os x.

    Well, at this time Windows 8 is not able to make rubbish of the iPad - At least not yet. I've never seen a Windows 7 Tablet - Well actually I have but I never tried one out. I have seen Windows 8 Tablets and I have tried THEM out, but this was before I knew all about it. But my thought was, "THIS is supposed to be better than an iPad?" - Well, in order for that kind of aggressive adversarial marketing to work, ya have to have the goods to back up your spout, and Windows 8 is severely short in this.

    I'm sure if I got one somehow, and tried it out, I may change my mind. Just like I changed my mind about iPhones - When I was given an original, 8 GB iPhone, I loved it, despite the "shortcomings" of lack of storage and no GPS for the model I had. But still, I used it for over a year until my cat vomited chocolate milk all over it.

    My Brother have me his wife's old original iPhone as a replacement, and it was the first one I ever Jailbroke, because it no longer could be activated any other way. But that year, My brother bought me a brand new iPhone 4 for my birthday - 32 Gig. I used Jailbreakme.com to JB it, and I blew it when I tried to UD to iOS 5. because I did it via the OTA update, which bricked me. However I got a nice guy at the Apple Store who gave me a brand new one - THAT one never bricked, and I sold it for 400 bucks worth of hardware.

    I tell this history because prior to actually HAVING an iPhone, I despised them. I had a Treo with a huge memory card in it. It had BUTTONS, it had a Stylus - You see, I was USED to all those things. I was used to the tactile feel of the buttons and I could text in the dark. Not so with an iPhone, but found other ways around this. and when I got an iPhone 4S, I had the Assistant, and now I use that to do everything, I even have a hands free so when the phone is fast asleep, I can say "Computer..." and siri pops up. And I can just TELL it what I want it to do.

    Now, the one thing I like with Microsoft is their Speech Software, usually it works great. I have found out, the less training you do, the better it works. Now, Speech is NATIVE in Windows 8 - and I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A TABLET! So I can try it out (Sorry for Yelling).

    Yes, my next big purchase will be a used Macbook Pro, and I WILL be sticking Windows 8 into it. I am a huge proponent of Bootcamp, it is one of the best things Apple has ever done. They will not support OSx86 on Steve Jobs final directive, he shut down Darwin support himself - I hated him for that. But he did this Bootcamp thing which is great. The Windows 7 Bootcamp drivers should work well for 8.

    Cross Platforming is a very important thing to me, I have been trying for years to find just the right OSx86 build to work in my machines. Still Looking.
    Considering what Windows 8 tablets PCs offer, it beats out the ipad hardcore. It's a nice all in one package that simplifies computing device needs for less cost, better practicality, greater flexibility, and unique than a freak. I've had the experience of using a Surface RT for a few days, even with the RT, I was pretty much sold on the experience. Then again, I don't place a high need on blown up ios/android apps like one would with an ipad or android tablet. It's rather ironic, on one hand, Microsoft is wanting to push away from the Desktop for legitimate reasons, and yet the Desktop is actually one of the best reasons why to buy a Windows tablet. I was once in the market a couple years ago for a laptop, but I was so fed up with EVERYTHING out there because there wasn't anything unique or better than anything else from any OEM. But then I saw this one ASUS tablet PC with 7, with a core i5 and a stylus, that is what I really wanted. Terribly expensive, but then came along with Windows 8 and a better promise of better computing on every PC. I still haven't gotten around to buying a tablet PC since I just don't have the need for one right now, maybe later this fall or next fall; but for right now I'm going to be plunking down a good thousand and a half as well as several months building a whole desktop PC from the literal ground up designed in part by Windows 8.

    I've actually tried out speech recognition on several PCs that I've played with in stores. They're usually pretty decent, I've found MORE training makes it work better, along with properly configuring your microphone (you really do need a decent microphone). But I REALLY wish Microsoft would make speech in Windows 8 like on the Xbox One. I watched the whole reveal event last night on youtube and it was just so freaking cool how you can say, "Xbox: go home," or "Xbox: watch ESPN" like it's freaking Star Trek! That's the most perfect way to utilize speech on Windows. Star Trek had it figured out WELL before anyone else, you must say, "Computer" to start speech commands. But instead, it could be, "Windows, go to sleep" or "Windows, open Internet Explorer." It's really a tad murky when you use speech recognition on Windows while playing music, too much interference if you don't position the mic well enough.
    Aren't we supposed to compare the Surface tablets to the Macbook Air? Anyhow, Apple deserves this. They've been picking on poor ol' PC for a while now.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
    Aren't we supposed to compare the Surface tablets to the Macbook Air? Anyhow, Apple deserves this. They've been picking on poor ol' PC for a while now.

    Click image for larger version
    Maybe, but Apple had always had devices that kicked MS in the groin. Ya gotta remember, people buy Apple for prestige mostly, not for "How much more cack you can do with a Windows 8 Device" - If I wanted Windows functionality in a Tablet, I would buy a Windows OS based tablet, even a Windows 8 tablet, if they made any that are not limited to just having RT on them.

    Is that a pic of Windows 8 running on Bootcamp? That's great - And this is why Apple despite their "MS Bashing" is a decent competitor for MS - They could easily never have developed BootCamp and told Apple/MS users to go suck eggs and continue the Non-Cross-Platforming that was going on in the 90's - But even with earlier versions of MACOS 9.2.2 and original OSX.1, they always had support for Virtualization, and supplied support for running Windows that way. Boot camp was a huge boon for users who like to use both OS's - Like me. Heh.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Users Mixed on Microsoft’s Anti-iPad Windows 8 Ad
Related Threads
Windows 7 vs. Windows 8.1: Users Mixed on Which One Is Better
evasi0n iOS 7.x Jailbreak - official website of the evad3rs I was given an iPad Mini for Christmas, which came with iOS 7. I use iOS 6 on my iPhone, have that jailbroken so I can unlock the Hotspot and tether stuff to it, like laptops when I don't have access to WiFi. I use Tether Me for that,...
Recently I have had some BSOD problems with my computer. After posting to the forums my crash dumps, I was recommended to try uninstalling AVG as it could be the culprit. So far so good and I have not had any blue screens. Upon uninstalling AVG I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials. I...
Users Mixed on Windows 8.1 RTM
How Internet Explorer 10 was inspired by iPad users | Ars Technica
Full blog here: I gave up iPad for Microsoft Surface
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook