Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Study says: Windows 8 users rarely touch Metro apps

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Who are "most people". There are over 7 Billion people in this world so someone has checked over 3.5 Billion people to backup their claims. I don't think so.

    Jim
    I can't speak for others, but from my experience almost all people I've conversed with on windows 8 are indifferent with the changes. They will use whatever that's preinstalled on their PC when they bought it, including all the crapware.

    Admittedly, they also tend to stay in the desktop mode because that's what they are familiar with. Most haven't even noticed the start menu is gone because they never used it in previous versions of windows. They just have icons on their desktop.

    I speak from my personal experience with people. And I know a wild variety of people. Now it is entirely possible that the people I know and interact with do not represent the normal PC user.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Indeed.

    Most people I know irl are using macs. They are not interested in anything to do with windows , as far as I can tell. I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that represents computer users as a whole.

    I know only 3 who had an 8 machine ( slight acquaintances ), all 3 loathed it and got rid of it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Who are "most people". There are over 7 Billion people in this world so someone has checked over 3.5 Billion people to backup their claims. I don't think so.

    Jim
    I can't speak for others, but from my experience almost all people I've conversed with on windows 8 are indifferent with the changes. They will use whatever that's preinstalled on their PC when they bought it, including all the crapware.

    Admittedly, they also tend to stay in the desktop mode because that's what they are familiar with. Most haven't even noticed the start menu is gone because they never used it in previous versions of windows. They just have icons on their desktop.

    I speak from my personal experience with people. And I know a wild variety of people. Now it is entirely possible that the people I know and interact with do not represent the normal PC user.
    I can accept "most people I know" or "most people I conversed with" as that is legitimate. Some on here just say "most people" which infers the whole world.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Today I read "Users tell Microsoft, keep your Windows 8 Metro apps, we don't want them".

    I have never told Microsoft anything like that. In fact, I have told everybody who wants to listen how much I like Windows 8 and how I already have quite a bunch Windows Apps I feel I couldn't survive without, how the flexible and easy to use Start Screen and well working Windows Apps are one of the main reasons I like the Eight.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Who are "most people". There are over 7 Billion people in this world so someone has checked over 3.5 Billion people to backup their claims. I don't think so.

    Jim
    I can't speak for others, but from my experience almost all people I've conversed with on windows 8 are indifferent with the changes. They will use whatever that's preinstalled on their PC when they bought it, including all the crapware.

    Admittedly, they also tend to stay in the desktop mode because that's what they are familiar with. Most haven't even noticed the start menu is gone because they never used it in previous versions of windows. They just have icons on their desktop.

    I speak from my personal experience with people. And I know a wild variety of people. Now it is entirely possible that the people I know and interact with do not represent the normal PC user.
    I can accept "most people I know" or "most people I conversed with" as that is legitimate. Some on here just say "most people" which infers the whole world.

    Jim
    You never took philosophy or debated in the philosophy club in college did you?

    The number 1 rule in a debate or discussion setting is if someone's statement can be interpreted several ways, always always always always give them the benefit of a doubt and assume the most intelligent, most logical interpretation of their words.

    I don't claim to know most people in the world in a literal sense. I'm assuming nobody in the world knows most people in the world in the literal sense either. So, when people say "most people", always always always always assume they are speaking of most people they know.

    What I do claim is that I know a wide variety of people, from the tech illiterate to power users to professional developers. All tech illiterates *I know* are indifferent about the UI change, given that they spend most of their time in the desktop environment. The power users and the professional programmers *I know* are split between liking windows 8 and hating it. The power users and professional programmers *I know* make up a tiny portion of the PC users. That is why I've been saying most users *I know* are indifferent about the UI changes.

    I am also using this experience that I have to infer that the people I know and know of are a representative sample of the wider world abroad.

    Now, here is a statement of fact. We do know for a fact that with any product out there, most owners do not post reviews or comments about it. People who hate it are a lot more likely to post comments and write reviews than the people who are either indifferent or people who like the product.

    Take a step back and think about yourself. I'm willing to bet most things you possess you've never thought to go online and write about them. Why? Because you are either indifferent about the quality or you like them. Now, if you were to have a tv that keeps crapping out on you, then wouldn't you feel angry about it? You are going to want to tell people about this issue with the tv. You're going to *gasp* want to go online and write a nasty review for it. Some people go as far as signing up to a dozen different forums and exaggerate their negative experiences.

    About two years ago, the market started getting saturated by iOS and android tablets. And about a year ago, people's homes started getting saturated with these devices. That was when PC sales had a nose dive early last year. This *lack* of sales have been consistent ever since, even after windows 8 came out.

    My interpretation of this fact is it's not windows 8 that's responsible for the low sales. It's the fact that people's homes have been saturated by iOS and android devices. And they usually have 1 or 2 windows 7 PC's. Why upgrade to windows 8 if windows 7 works just fine?

    My sister is a mathematician. Her husband is a phd engineer. They've been working in the mechanical engineering industry for decades. They are considering taking up teaching positions at some university out west. They told me that pretty soon they will be in the market for windows 8 hybrids. But for now, they are quite happy with their 2 windows 7 devices and 10 android devices. I believe they represent the typical American attitude toward system upgrades.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    I did take a philosophy course in college and took debate class in High school. I don't assume what people mean, but read what they say in context to the point they are making. Using expressions that mislead the reader demeans the writer and I then question their motives. News headlines are used to draw the reader in and when you read the article its has a whole different meaning. Some on here (not you) use this technique to booster their argument. I agree with you that Windows 8 is not the downfall of civilization as some want us to think and its not the holy grail either. I try to avoid most of those threads as its mostly a flame war after the first few posts.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I did take a philosophy course in college and took debate class in High school. I don't assume what people mean, but read what they say in context to the point they are making. Using expressions that mislead the reader demeans the writer and I then question their motives. News headlines are used to draw the reader in and when you read the article its has a whole different meaning. Some on here (not you) use this technique to booster their argument. I agree with you that Windows 8 is not the downfall of civilization as some want us to think and its not the holy grail either. I try to avoid most of those threads as its mostly a flame war after the first few posts.

    Jim
    Well, that, too. But honestly, when someone says "most people", are we to believe they literally know most people in the world? I think not. This is one of those things where you have to read them beyond the context.

    This is why sometimes I can't stand politics. Politicians purposefully misinterpret each other's words all the time. Take the infamous Obama's line "I believe in redistribution", for example. Or when he said "you didn't build that" when talking about the infrastructure that supported the businesses.

    Yeah, I have a thing for people assuming the worst in other people's words.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Most people believe "say what you mean and mean what you say".

    Had to do it.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Also, the suspended app tiles please my eyes more and give more information than the title bar of a browser tab; I mean with 25 tabs open with normal resolution displays you might not even to be able to read what the tab is. Here's for instance IE10 on 1920 pixels wide display showing 25 tabs. You need to guess to get the correct page, not very much information available there:
    Firefox does this much better though. You can get a list of tabs with all their names listed vertically so you can read their full names. I'm surprised a similar option isn't tucked away in IE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarka Dal View Post
    In fact there are no BBC apps so pointless conversation.


    Nice to finally get some experts here!Keenly waiting for you to share your wisdom and expertise more with us.
    There are many apps with the word "BBC" in their title. I have yet to find one which is actually published by the BBC; the ones I've found all seem to be published by 3rd parties.

    I'm not even sure if the Windows Store search is capable of searching for apps from a particular publisher?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 138
    Windows 8 Pro


    Lol, more 'journalism'.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Study says: Windows 8 users rarely touch Metro apps
Related Threads
the title says it all! If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Users tell Microsoft, keep your Windows 8 Metro apps, we don't want them Users tell Microsoft, keep your Windows 8 Metro apps, we don't want them | Computerworld Blogs
I've doing research and have not been able to find the solution my problem, hopefully you guys can help me. I am building a Windows 8 Image for our Lab here at UTEP and was wondering if there is a way that I can display the apps (mostly programs installed) to show to all user on our domain? Like...
Hi everyone! I work for a market research company called watchLAB. You can check out our company at watchlab dot com. We pay consumers for their opinions on consumer products. We've been looking on forums for folks who have recently purchased touch screen desktops/computers/tablets for our...
How to Allow or Prevent Users to Uninstall Apps from Start in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent all or specific users from being able to uninstall apps from the Start screen in Windows 8 and 8.1. You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do...
A recent video has been released showing that users can close metro style apps just by using touch gestures, this video has been released on the WinUnleaked.tk web site. In the developer preview of Windows 8 users are only able to close metro apps using the Task Manager. To view the video go...
More...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook