Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 is an enterprise 'non-starter' because IT ......

  1. #1

    Windows 8 is an enterprise 'non-starter' because IT ......


    Windows 8 is an enterprise 'non-starter' because IT sees no value in changes


    Computerworld - Windows 8 faces a number of hurdles in the enterprise, but the biggest reason it won't replace the current corporate champion, Windows 7, is simple.
    "Enterprises just don't see Windows 8 having value," said David Johnson, an analyst with Forrester Research. "They don't see the value in the changes in Windows 8 [compared to Windows 7]."
    Windows 8 is an enterprise 'non-starter' because IT sees no value in changes - Computerworld

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    This is an issue Microsoft has faced before: Many corporations have taken to adopting every other edition of Windows. For example, although Windows XP was already long in the tooth when Windows Vista debuted for enterprises in late 2006, businesses stuck with the former and largely ignored the latter.
    History Always Repeats Itself, cos people, and corporations are people too, right?... are too stoopid to learn from grievous errors.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    M$ made a bad error they made a OS one size fits all it is not fitting any body very well. They needed at least 2 sizes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 138
    Windows 8 Pro


    Meh. If they did that then the same people who whine and carp about Windows 8 now would gnash their teeth and sook about 'fragmentation'. Some people love to complain.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    What grievous errors? I'm not meaning to start a fight or flame war but I don't get that comment? The way I see it its not economically viable for a corporation to jump on every version of Windows. Skipping a version or two saves them big bucks. Switching to an OS that's been out for while also benefits them as far a stability goes and software and driver support. The new kid on the block is almost always ignored.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    What grievous errors? I'm not meaning to start a fight or flame war but I don't get that comment? The way I see it its not economically viable for a corporation to jump on every version of Windows. Skipping a version or two saves them big bucks. Switching to an OS that's been out for while also benefits them as far a stability goes and software and driver support. The new kid on the block is almost always ignored.
    Any corporation will change to any OS no matter what the cost is if it offers any benefits or advantages. But 8 was really a big mistake. It is inefficient in design and offers no productivity advantage. It was made to joy ride with the tablet/touch bandwagon and the desktop interface really sucks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    M$ made a bad error they made a OS one size fits all it is not fitting any body very well. They needed at least 2 sizes.
    I have a feeling that if Microsoft released a SP2 for Windows 7 that incorporated some of the new features in Windows 8, sans Metro, that would make a lot of people happy. Those that really hate 8 will just keep on using Windows 7. They could probably even make it a pay for Plus Pack if they add some other goodies.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    What grievous errors? I'm not meaning to start a fight or flame war but I don't get that comment? The way I see it its not economically viable for a corporation to jump on every version of Windows. Skipping a version or two saves them big bucks. Switching to an OS that's been out for while also benefits them as far a stability goes and software and driver support. The new kid on the block is almost always ignored.
    Any corporation will change to any OS no matter what the cost is if it offers any benefits or advantages. But 8 was really a big mistake. It is inefficient in design and offers no productivity advantage. It was made to joy ride with the tablet/touch bandwagon and the desktop interface really sucks.
    I agree, it may get there with BYOD but I don't see it having any big advantage over say Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    M$ made a bad error they made a OS one size fits all it is not fitting any body very well. They needed at least 2 sizes.
    I have a feeling that if Microsoft released a SP2 for Windows 7 that incorporated some of the new features in Windows 8, sans Metro, that would make a lot of people happy. Those that really hate 8 will just keep on using Windows 7. They could probably even make it a pay for Plus Pack if they add some other goodies.
    We stand a better chance of M$ dumping metro than doing that. It would be nice though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    M$ made a bad error they made a OS one size fits all it is not fitting any body very well. They needed at least 2 sizes.
    I have a feeling that if Microsoft released a SP2 for Windows 7 that incorporated some of the new features in Windows 8, sans Metro, that would make a lot of people happy. Those that really hate 8 will just keep on using Windows 7. They could probably even make it a pay for Plus Pack if they add some other goodies.
    We stand a better chance of M$ dumping metro than doing that. It would be nice though.
    I don't see it happening either. Some would likely take that as an admission of guilt on Microsoft's part and that wouldn't go over very well. Like you say though, it would be nice if it happened.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Windows 8 is an enterprise 'non-starter' because IT ......
Related Threads
Office 2010 Starter in Software and Apps
I've got Office 2010 starter on this 8.1 PC and I'm getting an update message. Its just a little odd looking so I wanted to make sure it was legit. Thanks in advance!
I have 8.1 iso on a bootable usb and whenever i press the option to keep my files and settings, i get this message. I tried following it but it still appears. So i tried running the setup.exe (from the iso) when my windows is booted up, the only option i get to pick to keep something is " keep...
Hi there worked exactly as "It said on the tin". Ran the .exe file from the ISO (using the virtual mounter system in W8.1 (W8 has this too). Gave me the option to keep applications and settings (Didn't on RTM). Installed fine -- you need to DISCONNECT from the Internet at Ms account...
I'm trying to install Microsoft Office starter 2010. I can't install because of the compatibly issues. Got any best answer?
I've just upgraded Win7 Home Premium to Win8 Pro on an HP Omni 27-1007ev machine, which had Office Starter 2010 bundled. I carried out all the HP pre-upgrade recommendations to update HP, Windows and Office Starter before I upgraded to Win8, warning else Starter 2010 would not work in Win8. ...
7 starter => 8 pro in Windows Updates & Activation
Hi, I have an original version of windows 7 Starter bought on 10th May 2010, my question is, Is the offer for 40$ valid for me?
Read more at: Microsoft Drops Office Starter Edition | PCWorld
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook