Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 is an enterprise 'non-starter' because IT ......

  1. #21


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    I was using a Gateway m7351u - No, make that an m7321u - as my Media System for about 8 months - It was great right out of the HDMI adapter, I had to use a Vista driver for Windows 7 for the Audio to work. I left it on all the time, it was great.

    it was one of these, but with 17 inch screen:

    Click image for larger version

    They are great computers but only Integrated Video, unlike my Inspiron 6400 which had a 512 graphics card. This I had it integrated with Desktop Keybvoard and Mouse, it was not one bit slower than my AMDs, faster even, cos of having a 2 GHz Core Duo.

    But one day I was trying to install a OSx86 build into it and it fried during installation, my Power Board burned up, the fan no longer runs and the adapter input is burnt. I thnk this is all that is wrong, just need a new Fan and the Adapter plug, the motherboard is totally accessible from the back.

    With the 17 inch screen it is a great laptop, one of these days I'll either do the work myself or bring it in somewhere.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I don't remember anyone ever saying this.
    So you have never seen the statement, "the desktop is dead"?

    What does that mean?
    To me it means that the person posting, believes that tablets and phones can do everything that a desktop can do.
    They almost always add that their device is portable (an additional feature therefore superior).


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Why don't you get one and try to use it for a week or so before caricaturizing how we use our hybrids.
    I didn't make any assertions about your personal Hybrid.

    Isn't a Hybrid just a laptop with a detachable screen (or a tablet with a detachable keyboard)?

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I don't remember anyone ever saying this.
    So you have never seen the statement, "the desktop is dead"?

    What does that mean?
    To me it means that the person posting, believes that tablets and phones can do everything that a desktop can do.
    They almost always add that their device is portable (an additional feature therefore superior).


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Why don't you get one and try to use it for a week or so before caricaturizing how we use our hybrids.
    I didn't make any assertions about your personal Hybrid.

    Isn't a Hybrid just a laptop with a detachable screen (or a tablet with a detachable keyboard)?

    Click image for larger version
    Well, you didn't make such assertion about my personal hybrid, but you did caricaturize the usage of tablets and smartphones for something other than consumption.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    New Zealand
    Posts : 91
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Well, you didn't make such assertion about my personal hybrid, but you did caricaturize the usage of tablets and smartphones for something other than consumption.
    I can't quite get your point. Looks like a great machine, but if it is attached to it's keyboard then you do not have a tablet but a laptop. If you leave the keyboard and only take the screen, you could then call it a tablet which is what he was talking about.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I've found that tablet or hybrid haters haven't really tried to use these devices to make their lives easier. They insist that the desktop is still better to use, which I agree with. But the fact that I've been going strong with just this hybrid since January proves that it can be done. The x2 works just good enough for me to get things done.

    Why don't you get one and try to use it for a week or so before caricaturizing how we use our hybrids.
    Why do you always assume things?

    I've owned a Windows 7 tablet since 2011. I use it regularly when I'm away from home for various tasks. It's almost a mirror image of my desktop and I can use it as a full substitute, but it is in no way a substitute for my dual monitor desktop. It'd drive me nuts to try and use it as my only PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    "The IT sector of the enterprise see no value in changes." Ummmm......DUH!!

    Windows xp has been the dead horse of the enterprise for the better part of a good decade and ONLY until Windows 7 did a transition start for some and is finally starting now for others. The IT sector of the enterprise see no value in changes? You sir are correct.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The IT sector of the enterprise see no value in changes? You sir are correct.
    No. This is from the story: "They don't see the value in the changes in Windows 8 [compared to Windows 7]." There's a big difference between generic change, which you are eternally hung up on, and specific change, which is the issue with 8. I can't believe after all this time you still don't get it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    "The IT sector of the enterprise see no value in changes." Ummmm......DUH!!

    Windows xp has been the dead horse of the enterprise for the better part of a good decade and ONLY until Windows 7 did a transition start for some and is finally starting now for others. The IT sector of the enterprise see no value in changes? You sir are correct.
    The enterprise market is an entirely different beast from us home enthusiasts. First we have hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands of desktops to maintain and support. We have to have imaging applications in place to make it fast and easy. We need operating systems that are compatible with both new and old software because we might have a huge mixture of that in our business. Some inhouse CRM systems simply cannot be redesigned overnight to support a new OS.

    Upgrades of hardware and software in the thousands or tens of thousands range is very expensive and time consuming. Not to mention, retraining of staff on how things have changed to keep them as productive as they were before on something they were used to.

    I think many in IT simply fail to see the value of deploying Windows 8 because the Metro/New UI full screen immersive apps aren't advantageous to business. Having menus hidden in hot corners and in the charms bar doesn't make people more productive. The integration of the "Microsoft Store" isn't compelling to corporate IT who have a need to control and maintain what is installed onto the systems. There just isn't much value add.

    You say that IT folks are not that interested in change, but yet we upgrade domain controllers to new versions, we upgrade our servers with Windows update, we run yum update on our linux boxes, we run modern versions of Exchange, we upgrade our virtualization environment (be it vmware, xen server or hyperv), we upgrade SQL Servers, we deploy systems like Microsoft Lync 2013. We upgrade where we see advantages and value.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I've found that tablet or hybrid haters haven't really tried to use these devices to make their lives easier. They insist that the desktop is still better to use, which I agree with. But the fact that I've been going strong with just this hybrid since January proves that it can be done. The x2 works just good enough for me to get things done.

    Why don't you get one and try to use it for a week or so before caricaturizing how we use our hybrids.
    Why do you always assume things?

    I've owned a Windows 7 tablet since 2011. I use it regularly when I'm away from home for various tasks. It's almost a mirror image of my desktop and I can use it as a full substitute, but it is in no way a substitute for my dual monitor desktop. It'd drive me nuts to try and use it as my only PC.
    Agree with you. Hybrids or tablets can never be a better substitute for a desktop PC. I even made my setup bigger and bulkier with a 3 monitor setup and I just love it. Some people will always love and defend the only device they have and stuck with because they don't have any other choices/options.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I've found that tablet or hybrid haters haven't really tried to use these devices to make their lives easier. They insist that the desktop is still better to use, which I agree with. But the fact that I've been going strong with just this hybrid since January proves that it can be done. The x2 works just good enough for me to get things done.

    Why don't you get one and try to use it for a week or so before caricaturizing how we use our hybrids.
    Why do you always assume things?

    I've owned a Windows 7 tablet since 2011. I use it regularly when I'm away from home for various tasks. It's almost a mirror image of my desktop and I can use it as a full substitute, but it is in no way a substitute for my dual monitor desktop. It'd drive me nuts to try and use it as my only PC.
    Agree with you. Hybrids or tablets can never be a better substitute for a desktop PC. I even made my setup bigger and bulkier with a 3 monitor setup and I just love it. Some people will always love and defend the only device they have and stuck with because they don't have any other choices/options.
    And again, no one has ever said that the tablet can replace the desktop fully. You guys keep repeating this as if we say you should or could.

    how would you like it if people keep telling you you shouldn't rape your sister? You know, you really shouldn't rape your sister. I wouldn't.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 8 is an enterprise 'non-starter' because IT ......
Related Threads
Office 2010 Starter in Software and Apps
I've got Office 2010 starter on this 8.1 PC and I'm getting an update message. Its just a little odd looking so I wanted to make sure it was legit. Thanks in advance!
I have 8.1 iso on a bootable usb and whenever i press the option to keep my files and settings, i get this message. I tried following it but it still appears. So i tried running the setup.exe (from the iso) when my windows is booted up, the only option i get to pick to keep something is " keep...
Hi there worked exactly as "It said on the tin". Ran the .exe file from the ISO (using the virtual mounter system in W8.1 (W8 has this too). Gave me the option to keep applications and settings (Didn't on RTM). Installed fine -- you need to DISCONNECT from the Internet at Ms account...
I'm trying to install Microsoft Office starter 2010. I can't install because of the compatibly issues. Got any best answer?
I've just upgraded Win7 Home Premium to Win8 Pro on an HP Omni 27-1007ev machine, which had Office Starter 2010 bundled. I carried out all the HP pre-upgrade recommendations to update HP, Windows and Office Starter before I upgraded to Win8, warning else Starter 2010 would not work in Win8. ...
7 starter => 8 pro in Windows Updates & Activation
Hi, I have an original version of windows 7 Starter bought on 10th May 2010, my question is, Is the offer for 40$ valid for me?
Read more at: Microsoft Drops Office Starter Edition | PCWorld
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook