Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Google Drive triples free storage to 15GB

  1. #11


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    I don't think that the hard drive and his state of the art PC will even matter to him if his house burned down to the ground. Bigger picture.
    I see the bigger picture. In my sisters case, all 4 family members survived. They lost their garage, house, pets and both cars. But it would also be nice to have backup copies of your entire digital picture history. Those cannot be recreated. But unlike physical photos and negatives, can be backed up.
    hahaha.. just teasing. I know what you are saying. No one really knows. It's either our house or the online site. But I don't really trust online drives. I just store my disposable files there. Nothing important. I have Dropbox 24GB, Skydrive 5GB and G Drive 5GB (maybe 15GB later).

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 13
    Windows 8 Core x64


    It is a generous offer for a free service. But I must say that I'm a bit affraid to trust them with my files. Google is in the business of data mining. They do it with our mail on GMail they are sure to do it with GDrive also.

    As a matter of fact the TOS as this tidbit in it:

    "you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones."
    "For content that is yours, Google can't re-use it for its own purposes. But it can use content you upload in order to serve you. This can include integrating services together (like reading your scanned pictures in order to OCR them), and it can include analyzing your files to target advertisements to you. Google already does this in GMail. Google doesn't currently serve ads in Google Docs (now called Google Drive), but it may, according to its license agreement, use data about the content you upload to target ads to you anywhere on the service. "

    "Google may also give up your data in response to a legal demand, like a subpoena. If you want your cloud storage to be a little more out of touch, you might be interested in Wuala, which has no storage servers in the United States. Or you might just want to keep your data off the Internet. "

    I would prefer a totally encrypted solution, but I understand that this is a free services and I'm in no obligation to use it. I may use it as a "dump" storage for files of no value like images collected from the web or softwares installer of little known utilities that I don't want to lose.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    I'm just not concerned when it comes to my digital pictures. Data mine all you want. It's not child porn I'm keeping.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Can one build a fireproof PC case?...

    Meh, I already have like 40 gigs of SkyDrive storage between two Outlook and one Windows Live account. I'm going to be expanding out my current Outlook domain's SkyDrive space for MORE storage!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 13
    Windows 8 Core x64


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I'm just not concerned when it comes to my digital pictures. Data mine all you want. It's not child porn I'm keeping.
    Well I'm not into that either but in any case I like my privacy. In the long term and as an offsite backup I think that a paid solution like Amazon S3 or Carbonite is the way to go.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 13
    Windows 8 Core x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Can one build a fireproof PC case?...

    Meh, I already have like 40 gigs of SkyDrive storage between two Outlook and one Windows Live account. I'm going to be expanding out my current Outlook domain's SkyDrive space for MORE storage!
    I know some guy who store his mac mini and nas in a fireproof safe when not in use. But even then, those safe are only good for about 10 minutes of protection from extreme heat. Personnaly, I use a combination of external drive for my backup. One of those drive I send to my brother with an annual snapshot of my data (encrypted) and he sends me the one used the previous year to recycle. He does the same so we both have an offsite backup. I only do this for my important data like financial, email and such. I used to care about my media files (music/movie) before but I realise that a crash is a good way to do some spring cleanup. Most of the stuff I keep and only listen once or twice. Those that I really care for I bought the physical media and they are common enough that I can find them again. Beside they are covered by my insurance.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by AMenard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Can one build a fireproof PC case?...

    Meh, I already have like 40 gigs of SkyDrive storage between two Outlook and one Windows Live account. I'm going to be expanding out my current Outlook domain's SkyDrive space for MORE storage!
    I know some guy who store his mac mini and nas in a fireproof safe when not in use. But even then, those safe are only good for about 10 minutes of protection from extreme heat. Personnaly, I use a combination of external drive for my backup. One of those drive I send to my brother with an annual snapshot of my data (encrypted) and he sends me the one used the previous year to recycle. He does the same so we both have an offsite backup. I only do this for my important data like financial, email and such. I used to care about my media files (music/movie) before but I realise that a crash is a good way to do some spring cleanup. Most of the stuff I keep and only listen once or twice. Those that I really care for I bought the physical media and they are common enough that I can find them again. Beside they are covered by my insurance.
    That's a pretty good set up you guys have.

    And yes, I will agree, a hard drive failure is DEFINTELY a good way to do prioritize what you care about and don't. I had a TONS of pictures before my hard drive died, now I have duplicates deleted, ones I don't care about gone, and all FINALLY properly organized. Of course, I used SkyDrive to download most of what I had. This is why I really like SkyDrive personally, I had about half my 25 gigs of storage used for all my documents and pictures. Unfortunately, it was about 90% of what I had currently on that old hard drive as I didn't back up the newer data right away. But still, SO glad I did though with the rest. Wow. My 300+ gigs of videos on the other hand....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Since we're speaking of privacy and cloud storage, I'm going to find an article from several months back about a SkyDrive user that lost access to his WHOLE Microsoft Account due to whatever unknown reason.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 13
    Windows 8 Core x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    And yes, I will agree, a hard drive failure is DEFINTELY a good way to do prioritize what you care about and don't. I had a TONS of pictures before my hard drive died, now I have duplicates deleted, ones I don't care about gone, and all FINALLY properly organized. Of course, I used SkyDrive to download most of what I had. This is why I really like SkyDrive personally, I had about half my 25 gigs of storage used for all my documents and pictures. Unfortunately, it was about 90% of what I had currently on that old hard drive as I didn't back up the newer data right away. But still, SO glad I did though with the rest. Wow. My 300+ gigs of videos on the other hand....
    As they say... A backup strategy is only good if you use it...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I have around 250GB of photographs in storage and bundles of software etc, all of it duplicated. However, I have far more important things that are not in digital format that, if they were destroyed, I'd feel a greater loss than if the digital copies of the photos went. I also wouldn't store anything in the cloud, I simply don't trust the companies to be as careful with my files as I am. They'll gladly take my money, but I'll bet there is no guarantee of safe storage.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Google Drive triples free storage to 15GB
Related Threads
( Sorry, mods.. I put this in general because I wasn't sure where better it would fit - Please move if needed.) Free cloud storage. A nice idea if you have fast upload speeds but is it worth having ? It can be, if you have a large enough cloud storage space and a real need, such as only...
Solved Biggest Free Cloud Storage? in Chillout Room
In your opinion which one is the free Cloud Storage service with biggest storage allowance? I don't need any extra online apps associated with it, like ability edit or view it online. Just online storage, like Online HDD, thats it. Only free services please. Preferably big uploading file...
Let's get this clear right at the start, I manage servers for a living and I understand RAID arrays and storage pretty well. i know the differences between RAID 0,1,5,6,10,50, etc. In playing with Storage Spaces on Windows 8 and using a resiliency type of parity has left me confused as to how...
https://drive.google.com/start#home Introducing Google Drive, the newest member of Google Apps
If you've read Making personal cloud storage for Windows available anywhere, with the you'll have seen the storage capacity has been set at 7GB, However, it's a simple process to increase that capacity to 25GB. 1. Go to - https://apps.live.com/skydrive/app/9a65e47d-606a-4816-a246-90f54bf7a3ea...
How to Rename a Storage Pool, Storage Space, and added Drives in Windows 8 Storage Spaces lets you group drives together in a storage pool. Then you can use pool capacity to create storage spaces. Storage spaces are virtual drives that appear in Windows Explorer. You can use them like any...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook