Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


No iTunes for Windows 8 devices anytime soon

  1. #31


    Posts : 93
    W8 Pro 9200


    VLC all the way (still keep iTunes to sync with iPod unfortunately)

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Apple/iTurd products are for mindless drones who are willing to accept things as they are, with no intent to change anything, and to just use the device as it was designed. With the exception of people who jailbreak their devices. And even a jailbroken device cant compare to the power and capabilities of an Android device with similar specs.
    The "anyone who doesn't think like I think is an idiot mentality" is rather appalling. It's one thing to disagree, it's another to call those who use certain products names because you dislike the brand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    And Apple likes to use proprietary media formats that generally only work well on their devices/hardware. If I have a library with Apple then I have to convert my media files to an openly accepted/popular format like MP3, etc. I would rather just buy my media in MP3/etc formats in the first place.
    While this may be true to a certain extent, you can also choose to use a different format. Example, like most people, I have an iPod; however, I encode my music using AAC format, which can be played on a number of other media players, including... cough cough...Windows Media Player.

    BTW there's this misconception that AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) is an "Apple" exclusive format, but it's not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    My dad also claims that Macs dont get viruses. He says it's impossible. Anyone with a background in computer security/programming/etc knows that's not true. To believe otherwise is ignorant. While it may be superior to most other OSes in terms of being malware-resistant, infections can and do happen. Linux rarely gets infected with malware either, and is a much better alternative that works on multiple hardware configurations.
    I don't think you have to be a computer programmer or security expert to understand any OS is prone to viruses. That said, I agree there is this prevalent misconception that Apple's OS can't get viruses.

    I even had one of my college Professors (they taught basic computer - mainly Office) tell the class for assignment 1, we needed to make sure our AV was turned on, working, and up to date. When a student stated he had a Mac, they told the student not worry, that they didn't need to do this, and since Macs didn't get viruses, there was no AV available to them. Obviously this wasn't or isn't true... Google

    Also - Hackers hitting Macs with virus: industry experts

    BTW I corrected the professor privately, but they never publicly admitted the initial info given was wrong. I guess that was a hard pill to swallow.

    And, yes, some Mac users do display a certain arrogance, but so do all of us in our own way.

    My two cents
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Arnhem, The Netherlands
    Posts : 1,412
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post

    The "anyone who doesn't think like I think is an idiot mentality" is rather appalling. It's one thing to disagree, it's another to call those who use certain products names because you dislike the brand.
    Amen to that!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Der Snoober View Post
    Unfortunately you need iTunes to manage an iPod for example. So therefore iTunes is a must have on my computer. Although I always say that fruit needs to be put into the fruitbasket rather then your computer, I have no complaints about iTunes. It does for me what it needs to do.

    And that there is not an iTunes app coming won't mind me. I wouldn't use it anyway. I prefer the desktop version.
    If your iphone or idevice is a certain age, it can be managed via other methods and software. apple likes to screw that up with every ios update.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sashlon View Post
    ITunes is a horrible piece of software. To me its always been example number one of why Apple sucks so much. My Android phone doesn't need a proprietary program to sync my music. Fail for crApple. Epic fail actually. But the sycophants will give that company a pass no matter what it does or screws up.
    Meanwhile my Windows Phone requires me to use proprietary software (Zune) and Microsoft can't even be bothered to keep it updated, even on their own OS. At least Apple issue updates for iTunes in Windows, and I'd far rather use iTunes than Zune.

    So while I accept what you say about Android being best in this respect, Microsoft are way worse than Apple here.
    That's because Microsoft kind of released Windows Phone 8 that has literally three different sync methods over 7....

    They will say they are supporting Windows Phone 7.8, but in all honesty, it will just be little bits here and there on the platform versus Windows Phone 8's GRD2 release this year. But I can see why they are, because if they get caught up supporting an older platform versus a newer and DEFINTELY better platform, they will not have learned anything from their own history. Two years is decently long enough for a mobile platform.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Apple/iTurd products are for mindless drones who are willing to accept things as they are, with no intent to change anything, and to just use the device as it was designed. With the exception of people who jailbreak their devices. And even a jailbroken device cant compare to the power and capabilities of an Android device with similar specs.

    And Apple likes to use proprietary media formats that generally only work well on their devices/hardware. If I have a library with Apple then I have to convert my media files to an openly accepted/popular format like MP3, etc. I would rather just buy my media in MP3/etc formats in the first place.

    They also think they're better than everyone else. Well, that's just not me. It just so happens that I consider myself a hacker of sorts (in the positive sense, not the ones we hear about everyday on the news that break laws), I like to tinker and figure out how things work and find innovative solutions to my problems. Which is my I've rooted my phone, unlocked the bootloader, and installed a custom ROM, etc. I also dualboot Linux and Windows 8/Windows Server 2012.

    At its' core the OSes on Apple devices are really just Unix/Linux-based with some modifications and a prettied-up interface, designed to work on on the hardware that Apple provides. My dad also claims that Macs dont get viruses. He says it's impossible. Anyone with a background in computer security/programming/etc knows that's not true. To believe otherwise is ignorant. While it may be superior to most other OSes in terms of being malware-resistant, infections can and do happen. Linux rarely gets infected with malware either, and is a much better alternative that works on multiple hardware configurations.

    Just my 2 cents..........
    Your two cents are of LOTS of value!

    Ugh!! I always convert FLAC audio files to WMA lossless as that format has more universal support than FLAC, and it keeps a lot of FLAC's properties. So I gave a whole WMA based discography to a friend so she could put it on her iphone, dragged it over into the iTunes window (pisses me off that you have to do that to update the iTunes library whereas Zune did that automatically as it wasn't deranged and used the Music library index) and guess what? Took about an hour to convert from WMA lossless to aac, apple's audio codec. Or actually, advanced audio coding.

    I've always believed a jailbroken ios device is just akin to an android device.

    And that's really stupid to believe macs don't get viruses, even apple had to change their wording saying macs don't get the same viruses as Windows, because the ones macs get can LITERALLY cripple the whole OS. They're right, Windows doesn't get those viruses unless if you use xp pre service packs. Even Kaspersky Labs has claimed a similar thing to mac os's security being such as Windows xp SP1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    itunes sucks, it sucks so hard that I want to go take a poop on apple's headquarters building and I don't even use it even remotely regularly. iTunes 11 is nothing more than a VERY poor Zune client ripoff mixed with itunes from the ipad..
    I think it is the other way around, Zune has always been an iTunes ripoff client from the start, I know several people who have bought Zune players, they realise now that they need to toss them into the same recycle pile as Microsoft HD-DVDs.

    Regardless of how hard iTunes 11 sucks various bodily parts which resemble sacks, it is still the only way to manipulate an apple device. I never have any problems with it really except that I can no longer DRAG content into it like I used to be able to do, I can however, click on a file and tell it to OPEN with iTunes, then it gets added.

    The trick with apple has always been, find out what they changed, then find a new way to do what you used to be able to do easy. I't not really iTunes which sucks, it is the gorram APT crapola and App and OS Signing - So I always install AppSync, which allows the apps to go in even without proper signing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    That's because Microsoft kind of released Windows Phone 8 that has literally three different sync methods over 7....

    They will say they are supporting Windows Phone 7.8, but in all honesty, it will just be little bits here and there on the platform versus Windows Phone 8's GRD2 release this year. But I can see why they are, because if they get caught up supporting an older platform versus a newer and DEFINTELY better platform, they will not have learned anything from their own history. Two years is decently long enough for a mobile platform.
    Yes but it was less than 6 months ago when I bought mine; the Windows Phone 8 equivalent hadn't arrived in the shops here by then (and I'd killed my last phone so needed one quickly). So I'd still expect some decent support for a while yet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    That's because Microsoft kind of released Windows Phone 8 that has literally three different sync methods over 7....

    They will say they are supporting Windows Phone 7.8, but in all honesty, it will just be little bits here and there on the platform versus Windows Phone 8's GRD2 release this year. But I can see why they are, because if they get caught up supporting an older platform versus a newer and DEFINTELY better platform, they will not have learned anything from their own history. Two years is decently long enough for a mobile platform.
    Yes but it was less than 6 months ago when I bought mine; the Windows Phone 8 equivalent hadn't arrived in the shops here by then (and I'd killed my last phone so needed one quickly). So I'd still expect some decent support for a while yet.
    That's the same thing that happens to people when they buy an iphone and the next one comes out in three months....or a month later...

    Decent support is there for Windows Phone 7, it's just that it comes after 8. The new facebook app is to be released soon for 7, Temple Run can't run on 7 because it needs a gig of RAM for some odd reason. As long as it's Nokia, THEY will be supporting it. Microsoft is expecting OEMs to support their Windows Phones as well, Nokia does that.

    But as for the Zune client and such, that's pretty much dead. That's that. It's been "replaced" by Xbox Music and Video apps on Windows 8, which are quite awful compared to Zune. For a company that's trying to pick up mobile share with Windows Phone 8, 7 has to get out of the way or otherwise they will get caught up supporting an older platform for a small user base. Yes, it sucks, but that's life. You wouldn't be expecting apple to release siri on the iphone 4 even though the 4s came out. You sure as hell wouldn't be expecting google to have mid range android 2 handsets run android 3 or 4. But yet, Windows Phone 7 HAS to be supported like no other?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Maryland USA
    Posts : 758
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot


    We dont want iTunes hanging around when were done with it anyway.. We just want to use it, leave money on the table, and be gone..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
No iTunes for Windows 8 devices anytime soon
Related Threads
I have an online course where the audio/video files are in itune store, but everytime I click on the link, it said itmss protocol is not registered in Windows, so the only solution seems to download/install iTunes for Windows. I'm trying to use VLC for all my audio/video files, so if I can avoid...
I have searched the forums and have found a lot info that is close to what I need, but not exactly what I need. Here is my situation. I purchased a Samsung NP9000X3A notebook from an individual a couple of weeks ago and he claimed to have just installed a clean copy of Windows 8 Pro w/ MC (W8)...
After upgrading to 8.1 all of my previously listed devices are no longer listed under devices... in fact there are no devices listed. I can also not add a device. If I look in device manager they are listed there and if I go to print the printer shows up and I can print. The screenshot below...
Windows 7 has an Anytime Upgrade option to upgrade to a higher version of Windows. In Windows 8 it has been replaced by Add Features to Windows 8 in Control Panel. There are three versions of Desktop Windows 8 - Core, Pro and Pro with WMC. When RP was released it was the Pro version and MS...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook