Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming

  1. #51


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    The reason is that 8 is really that good when one learns it and sees what MS is trying to accomplish.
    Given what MS are trying to accomplish, it might seem surprising 60m people are actually using it. Probably because a lot of them don't know what MS is trying to do.

    MS may have to tone it down it somewhat - that will likely work out better for them
    I've been using Win8.x since January 2013, after purchasing it and Media Center direct from Microsoft for $39.99. In all that time I have not used either the start page or the "modernUI" or whatever Microsoft is calling Metro now. I daresay most people using it today are using it this way. For some reason Microsoft has tried to hide the fact that the Win7 explorer.exe UI is alive and well inside Win8.1. Use of "Metro" as indeed the start page is and always has been optional inside Windows 8. No one should ever assume that the majority of people on Win8 are using Metro because I'm quite certain they are not. UNLESS we're talking about a touch-screen device as that's the only hardware on which the Metro UI makes sense and has value.

    Windows 8.x is better than Win7. Noticeably better. But only after you get past the lousy bolted on Metro GUI...;) If Metro wasn't optional I doubt Win8 sales would be 25% of what they've been. If "butt-ugly" is a design metric, then Microsoft nailed it squarely in Win8's Metro GUI--my eyes have not beheld this primary-color level of ugliness since kindergarten...fortunately, Win8 is not constrained to that default and no 3rd-party software is required to make Windows a feast for the eyes again...! (Still do need a 3rd-party start menu, however, to Microsoft's everlasting shame.)

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming

    And yet.....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    I've been using Win8.x since January 2013, after purchasing it and Media Center direct from Microsoft for $39.99. In all that time I have not used either the start page or the "modernUI" or whatever Microsoft is calling Metro now. I daresay most people using it today are using it this way.
    It's funny how everyone seems to think that the way THEY use their computer is the way EVERYONE uses their computer.

    The fact is, most people who buy a computer get one with Windows 8 because that's what's in the stores. Most people don't know that there are start menu replacements. Most people just use it the way it comes.... To say "I daresay most people using it today are using it this way" assumes that everyone is geeky enough to reconfigure their systems...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Yeah really, it's funny how that "everyone" or "average" works. There's a saying in my country about "Average": "I eat cabbage, you eat meet and as an average we eat cabbage rolls".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Hog=Microsoft
    Acorn=What customers want

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    I do like cabbage rolls.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    I've been using Win8.x since January 2013, after purchasing it and Media Center direct from Microsoft for $39.99. In all that time I have not used either the start page or the "modernUI" or whatever Microsoft is calling Metro now. I daresay most people using it today are using it this way.
    It's funny how everyone seems to think that the way THEY use their computer is the way EVERYONE uses their computer.

    The fact is, most people who buy a computer get one with Windows 8 because that's what's in the stores. Most people don't know that there are start menu replacements. Most people just use it the way it comes.... To say "I daresay most people using it today are using it this way" assumes that everyone is geeky enough to reconfigure their systems...
    You've got a point, I suppose, as most people are fairly clueless about many things... But my point is simply to let people know that if they don't like Metro, they don't have to use it, because Microsoft doesn't force them to use it, regardless of how it comes configured on the machine they buy. Very simple. Geeky? Well, let's see, not using Metro in Win8.1 involves the following "geeky" steps...

    1) Using the standard Win8.1 Microsoft taskbar options to setup the desktop as your boot-to screen, if you aren't already doing that.

    2)Installing one (1) third-party program like Classic Shell (for the start menu), and then setting that up via the program's own point-and-click options.

    And...you're done. At this point you can operate 8.1 just like you operated Win7. I realize that some people will find the above instructions far too complex to comprehend, let alone carry out. I think that's a shame and I weep for them. Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, so blaming me for informing those very people of options they might not be aware of hardly seems rational. The more informed people are the better off they are, seems to me. Staying stupid and clueless benefits no one.

    And, yes, many, many people are running Win8.1 sans Metro because it is so easy to do--how many millions I do not know, of course.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Posts : 34
    Win7


    And you can always get your new car repainted... But I think you should be able to get the color you want
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Rxd View Post
    And you can always get your new car repainted... But I think you should be able to get the color you want

    “Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.”
    Henry Ford
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    I must admit the Windows 8.1 default color hurt my eyes. I couldn't change it fast enough. Who thought that the average person would like that?

    I like Windows 8.1 and haven't added any 3rd party menu apps, just some themes to change the color schemes it comes with.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming
Related Threads
Windows 8 haters in Chillout Room
Windows 8... to me, it is the best os since xp. i have seen a TON of videos about "windows 8 sucks" and I disagree. There is a poll so you can vote. i had a bad experience with 7, because I bought a laptop with starter on it, so I could BARELY do anything.
Read more at: Coming to a Microsoft Surface near you: Cross-platform inking | ZDNet
Hi there To those who say Touch will never have a place on the traditional Desktop I suggest they look at some reviews of the just released GALAXY S4 phone where a lot of the touch screen movements can be done via EYE scrolling technology -- IMO this is a total BALL CHANGING GAME. The technology...
Read more at: Microsoft's 'Blue' wave is coming to more than just Windows | ZDNet (Apologies that I don't seem to be able to post this in the 'News' section.)
Read more at source: Microsoft Office 365: More new packages and prices coming in November | ZDNet
Read more at source: Microsoft Office coming to Android and Apple devices in early 2013 | ZDNet
I know the complaints all you haters have. I know you think that the Desktop isn't prominent enough. I know you want a Start menu on the Desktop. I'm aware of all of this. In fact, up until yesterday, while I loved Windows 8 RP, it did feel a bit awkward going from Desktop to Metro all the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook