Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming

  1. #41


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    McRuff
    I have noticed that people who do not like metro attack the product. The fans of the interface attack their opponents. Calling them Whiners, haters, afraid of change. To lazy to make one little click to get to the desktop and so on.
    The lazy and /or afraid comes up a lot.

    It seems some desperately need their choices approved.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8.1


    Why don't they add an option to have a start menu or a screen?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    They will in Windows 9...lol.

    Wow this is an ancient thread.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 272
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
    They will in Windows 9...lol.

    Wow this is an ancient thread.
    I just came to that conclusion only after reading through half of the posts on the first page! lol
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 176
    Windows 8.1


    When I started reading this post I was wondering why M$ was taking a step backwards. It pays to check post dates.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Winuser View Post
    When I started reading this post I was wondering why M$ was taking a step backwards. It pays to check post dates.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 219
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    "Larson-Green emphasized once again that the software company was more open to customer feedback, explaining that Microsoft’s staff is now reading basically every single detail about Windows 8 that reaches the web."

    And people wonder why I often try to post such detailed, critical posts within this forum. There are those around here who have even written things like, "Why do you keep harping on the negative. Do you really think someone from Microsoft will read your post and take some sort of action because of it?" Well, as it turns out, maybe they will. Truth be told, quite a few of my initial gripes with Win8 were addressed in some of the updates. Now if they could just add folders/containers to the stinking start screen already, to make it easier to group apps. Oh well...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 328
    Windows 8.1 (x64)


    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    "Larson-Green emphasized once again that the software company was more open to customer feedback, explaining that Microsoft’s staff is now reading basically every single detail about Windows 8 that reaches the web."And people wonder why I often try to post such detailed, critical posts within this forum. There are those around here who have even written things like, "Why do you keep harping on the negative. Do you really think someone from Microsoft will read your post and take some sort of action because of it?" Well, as it turns out, maybe they will. Truth be told, quite a few of my initial gripes with Win8 were addressed in some of the updates. Now if they could just add folders/containers to the stinking start screen already, to make it easier to group apps. Oh well...
    That MS listens or reads feedback sure, and their assurances that they will focus on that is cool. That's good. But that they will ACT on such feedback is another thing entirely.

    A lot of complaints about windows have been about the start menu. It is actually a very interesting UI component and shouldn't be replaced by Search but complementary. When you have lots of programs, having the info organized in a tree is very useful. It's kinda like looking for sites on the internet via directories (DMOZ for example) compared to a Search engine. Both are different and complementary ways to search information.

    I'll be honest here, implementing a classic start menu is VERY easy programatically. It's only a menu that is filled with files from the '\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs' directory . A couple of minutes is enough to get that in any visual programming language, not kidding or exagerating here, only minutes. And what has MS done ? They LISTENED... and gave you a crappy shortcut to the Metro UI.... Sigh. So yeah I don't count on this "feedback" having much influence on MS decisions.

    I don't consider myself a hater mind you, but I don't have much faith in MS basing their product on what the customers feel like they want. Some highly paid guys do the decisions for you, and you don't enter the picture, they "anticipate" customer needs and if that's contrary to what most people want then too bad, you'll just have to adapt.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 219
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Well.. Some of my early complaints that I did not see raised all over, were addressed in the initial 8.1 release. For instance, I really disliked the fact that when installing apps in the original release, you would wind up with a shortcut on your start screen for ever piece that used to wind up in the start menu folder. This meant, that after installing a program like Quickbooks, or Sql Server, you would have like 5-10 new icons cluttering up your start screen. This was addressed in 8.1.

    I still say that the organization of the start screen and the all apps screen is far from decent. They could fix a lot of the issues by just giving us the ability to clump apps into folders, similar to what you can do in both IOS and Android. In a similar fashion, on my all apps page, I do not need a direct link to all 10 applets that got installed when I loaded Visual Basic, I just need a folder that contains all of them called visual basic. To many individual links, means stuff gets cluttered and lost, which is why I still rarely use this stuff that they created.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    And people wonder why I often try to post such detailed, critical posts within this forum. There are those around here who have even written things like, "Why do you keep harping on the negative. Do you really think someone from Microsoft will read your post and take some sort of action because of it?" Well, as it turns out, maybe they will. Truth be told, quite a few of my initial gripes with Win8 were addressed in some of the updates.
    It's unlikely that anything you said influenced Microsoft. More than likely, this was because of input from deep pockets in Microsoft's business customers.

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    Now if they could just add folders/containers to the stinking start screen already, to make it easier to group apps. Oh well...
    They do have containers in the start screen. You can create groups of icons, name them, etc... Then, in the all programs folder, there are folders, although they are expanded by default. Ctrl+scroll will collapse them. But, that's probably not what you were talking about...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming
Related Threads
Windows 8 haters in Chillout Room
Windows 8... to me, it is the best os since xp. i have seen a TON of videos about "windows 8 sucks" and I disagree. There is a poll so you can vote. i had a bad experience with 7, because I bought a laptop with starter on it, so I could BARELY do anything.
Read more at: Coming to a Microsoft Surface near you: Cross-platform inking | ZDNet
Hi there To those who say Touch will never have a place on the traditional Desktop I suggest they look at some reviews of the just released GALAXY S4 phone where a lot of the touch screen movements can be done via EYE scrolling technology -- IMO this is a total BALL CHANGING GAME. The technology...
Read more at: Microsoft's 'Blue' wave is coming to more than just Windows | ZDNet (Apologies that I don't seem to be able to post this in the 'News' section.)
Read more at source: Microsoft Office 365: More new packages and prices coming in November | ZDNet
Read more at source: Microsoft Office coming to Android and Apple devices in early 2013 | ZDNet
I know the complaints all you haters have. I know you think that the Desktop isn't prominent enough. I know you want a Start menu on the Desktop. I'm aware of all of this. In fact, up until yesterday, while I loved Windows 8 RP, it did feel a bit awkward going from Desktop to Metro all the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook