Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 six months in: Thoughts from a power(less) user

  1. #81


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    You completely miss the point.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #82


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    You completely miss the point.
    What's your point?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #83


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    You completely miss the point.
    I'm sure you'll follow with an explanation of how he missed it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #84


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I was talking about the fact that with all the experience and examples that abound now with the likes of Android tablets and how they work, why not provide similar, easy, access to all the device controls? Many people complain that device settings and the like are difficult to find in Windows 8, whether the same applies to Windows 7 is irrelevant, we are talking about a new OS, a new paradigm.

    It should be easier to use, not more complex. And I'm not talking about tech savvy users, but those whose tech skills are very basic, if not non-existent. There should have been one single tile in the start screen that was for settings, just like in Android, and that took you to a page that revealed everything. Is that too difficult to imagine?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #85


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Is that too difficult to imagine?
    Ok. I apologize for stepping in. I don't know anything about Android.
    Ok, I see... you were talking about the new paradigm and continuity between devices.
    Well, I withdraw from this topic because I have no portables at all and have never used one.


    There should have been one single tile in the start screen that was for settings
    Probably not because Windows 8 is not a phone or tablet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #86


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Just so there's no confusion, my 50 pound cooler master Intel Asrock computer is not a phone or tablet.
    Touch capability, but I don't need it. So I guess I don't need the features of a phone or tablet on my home system.

    I have a touch device, however, a touchpad, and it is awesome. Prefer my massive Kensington trackball.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #87


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Is that too difficult to imagine?
    Ok. I apologize for stepping in. I don't know anything about Android.
    Ok, I see... you were talking about the new paradigm and continuity between devices.
    Well, I withdraw from this topic because I have no portables at all and have never used one.


    There should have been one single tile in the start screen that was for settings
    Probably not because Windows 8 is not a phone or tablet.
    The thing is Microsoft is targeting tablets, phones etc, with apps and touch. My first experience with an Android tablet revealed how simple and well thought out access to settings was, as well as other things. The UI was pretty good to say the least and that reflected across the OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #88


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    As a side note, I see touch on a non-touch system, as an available option. It is not mandatory. It fits what new tech is for sale. Touch is ok, but I will not be needing to use it.

    But then again, I prefer the touch UI for mouse and keyboard as it brings a different approach.
    I am signing off to watch a movie. good night.
    I still find it amazing that it's around high noon in Australia and after 10pm New York - Boston time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #89


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    To continue wildly off topic, I have been looking at Unity - that is the ubuntu attempt at one size fits all (or none - depending on your point of view ).

    I was surprised to find it is remarkably good at what it sets out to do. Not ideal for the advanced user - but that doesn't matter as they supply different UIs for advanced users.

    For the average user or slightly beyond, it does the job fine even on a non touch desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #90

    new lines not showing


    Quote Originally Posted by CokeRobot
    we're still doing that in the way of Windows 95 whereas you literally can hit the PHYSICAL power button on the PC to shut down or to sleep. After thinking about this, this is SO weird when this becomes about laptops, because they have the button right there under your face, yet it is never used other than to resume the PC from sleep or to turn it back on. There seems to be this rigid tradition with Windows that 8 has fleshed out. .... The observation I was making was that it's odd that something like shutting down Windows in 8 is so "difficult" when on modern mobile devices, there is no such thing in the UI. But when it's Windows and that's in the UI, it's a WHOLE debacle about something literally so trivial as hitting the physical power button.
    I'ts a very interresting observation since it's often computer illiterates who are paranoiac about the shut-down button while this is a win95/98 legacy. When hit the physical button was a sin, redempted only by scanning the hard drive.
    Until Vista any PC had to go througha computering procedure before shuting down properly. XP even launched its unfamous endless updates. (it was the most absurd invention on XP: starting updates when you want to shut down the computer!)
    On 7, yes you can just sleep it, close the lad if you are on a laptop or hit the moon button on the keyboard if you are on a desktop.
    Yet, an On/off button (a circle with a little vertical bar) is missing on keyboards for desktop PCs. Or when it's there it has, at least in my case, the same effect as sleeping which is useless since there is the moon button just next. Maybe others have succesfuly turned off their PC with the keyboard's On/off button, but this feature should be generalized IMO.
    The physical button is often out of reach when located on a tower (In my case the tower is in another room, behind a wall).
    And this button has the advantage and the disadvantage of bypassing all software operations, turning the power off the MoBo directly. In such a case, you are not presented with an option to save unsaved work if any, even if the OS would handle cold shut down perfectly.
    The advanatage is that you can restart if the computer freezes. Had the physical button the same effect as the virtual shut down button, it would not allow to restart in case of serious trouble.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Windows 8 six months in: Thoughts from a power(less) user
Related Threads
How to Open Win+X "Power User Tasks Menu" in Windows 8 and 8.1 This will show you how to open the Power User Tasks Menu with quick links to some common administrative and power user tasks in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1,and Windows RT 8.1. You'll notice that Windows Explorer is now...
Trying to lock down a tablet running Win 8.1 It's set to auto log in so I don't want the user to be able to sign out. Any ideas how to disable or remove it? THanks Chris
How to Edit Win+X "Power User Tasks Menu" in Windows 8 and 8.1 This will show you how to add and remove shortcuts and groups to the Power User Tasks Menu using the easy to use Win + X Editor program for only your user account in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1. Thank...
Hi there. I decided to upgrade a few days ago to Windows 8 as I decided 25 wasn't much of a loss if I didn't like it. I wasn't too sure what to expect but I'm mostly presently surprised. The main big change that originally annoyed me when I first saw the early versions of Windows 8 was the...
Here's an MSDN link that might be useful: Windows 8 Consumer Preview Power User How To Series - Dr. Z's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook