Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 six months in: Thoughts from a power(less) user

  1. #21


    Hey kari, since you are here, can you help me with my problem?

    https://www.eightforums.com/software-...ows-8-tab.html

    Please help, oh wise one!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    "how do i shut down windows 8" in Google = 67,900,000 results....it shouldn't be that difficult.
    Again one statement that really does not deserve to be answered but as it is a typical example how the truth is altered telling only those facts that support the poster's opinion, I need to show this:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    Shutdown is located in a illogical spot. Under "Settings"??
    OK, I understand your logics: Having Shutdown (close, end) in Start (begin) is not illogical?
    On most machinery that I have worked on the STOP button is located next to the START button or switch not hidden behind the machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    "how do i shut down windows 8" in Google = 67,900,000 results....it shouldn't be that difficult.
    Again one statement that really does not deserve to be answered but as it is a typical example how the truth is altered telling only those facts that support the poster's opinion, I need to show this:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Kari
    I'm not distorting anything, sorry to disappoint you.

    Click image for larger version

    ...and also, if you read my posts I'm not really aruging for or against - I'm simply stating opinion. But go ahead and put words in my mouth.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    I wasn't talking about the amount of Google searches as it depends on many factors, me searching here with my set and you there with yours, it's very unlikely we get the same numbers.

    I was giving an example about how you "comfortably" forgot to mention that it seems shutting down Windows 7 was in the beginning exactly as difficult to some users.

    I am not putting words to your mouth. You very clearly wanted us readers to understand the point that shutting down Windows 8 is difficult.

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I wasn't talking about the amount of Google searches as it depends on many factors, me searching here with my set and you there with yours, it's very unlikely we get the same numbers.

    I was giving an example about how you "comfortably" forgot to mention that it seems shutting down Windows 7 was in the beginning exactly as difficult to some users.

    I am not putting words to your mouth. You very clearly wanted us readers to understand the point that shutting down Windows 8 is difficult.

    Kari
    No..I was stating that where it's placed isn't logical. And that the general public wouldn't google, or even know to google how to make a shutdown tile, and they really shouldn't have to. But read what you want to read. For a guy trying to be "above" arguing over trival things, you are plenty good at it. This is my last post in this thread as right now it's getting ridiculous, enjoy yourself.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I have to comment about the shut down thing in Windows 8. It's interesting because it shows how people will interact with devices JUST because of what they are. With PCs, apparently one MUST go to Start, and hit shut down to shut down the PC. On a phablet or smartphone, to shut down, one must hold the power button and slide something. To sleep, just hit the power button. On the PC, you go to Start, and hit Sleep or maybe close the laptop lid. On modern devices that are mobile, there really isn't a single piece of software UI that is used to control those power settings. But on the older PC, we're still doing that in the way of Windows 95 whereas you literally can hit the PHYSICAL power button on the PC to shut down or to sleep. After thinking about this, this is SO weird when this becomes about laptops, because they have the button right there under your face, yet it is never used other than to resume the PC from sleep or to turn it back on. There seems to be this rigid tradition with Windows that 8 has fleshed out. On tablets however, even with Windows 8 on, turning the PC off is the same way as other tablets and smartphones: hit the physical power button. On a laptop that is also mobile like the tablet, use the UI to sleep or shutdown. See the strangeness there? It actually doesn't make sense to me.

    And personally, part of the design on my new desktop tower will ACTUALLY be a power button that is used as much as a modern mobile device. If you tap the button piece from the front, it will shut down as usual. Tap it from the top of the piece, it will go to sleep. I sleep my PC a LOT throughout the day, as I find it genuinely pointless to do a cold shutdown. Rigid tradition ruined right there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    And personally, part of the design on my new desktop tower will ACTUALLY be a power button that is used as much as a modern mobile device. If you tap the button piece from the front, it will shut down as usual. Tap it from the top of the piece, it will go to sleep. I sleep my PC a LOT throughout the day, as I find it genuinely pointless to do a cold shutdown. Rigid tradition ruined right there.
    One of the very basic native functions of Windows 7 & 8:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    And personally, part of the design on my new desktop tower will ACTUALLY be a power button that is used as much as a modern mobile device. If you tap the button piece from the front, it will shut down as usual. Tap it from the top of the piece, it will go to sleep. I sleep my PC a LOT throughout the day, as I find it genuinely pointless to do a cold shutdown. Rigid tradition ruined right there.
    One of the very basic native functions of Windows 7 & 8:

    Click image for larger version
    Basic function of the SOFTWARE, not the hardware. The vast majority of desktop PCs do not have a separate sleep button, only the power button. You can change it so when you hit the power button, the PC goes to sleep. But if you have to do a hard shut down for some reason, that doesn't work out too well. Laptops do have that as a basic function where the lid closing will enter it into sleep mode (the sleep mode Windows 7 introduced that functions similarly to a smartphone) and hitting the power button enters it into sleep.

    The power button I have designed is unique, as it has two functions in one piece. I'll need to draw it up with my mouse to visually explain it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Coke robot, you are right of course. I simply wanted to show how easy it is in Windows. The image shows how I have it on my HP laptops which do not have a sleep button: Power button to hibernate, close the lid to shut down.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Windows 8 six months in: Thoughts from a power(less) user
Related Threads
How to Open Win+X "Power User Tasks Menu" in Windows 8 and 8.1 This will show you how to open the Power User Tasks Menu with quick links to some common administrative and power user tasks in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1,and Windows RT 8.1. You'll notice that Windows Explorer is now...
Trying to lock down a tablet running Win 8.1 It's set to auto log in so I don't want the user to be able to sign out. Any ideas how to disable or remove it? THanks Chris
How to Edit Win+X "Power User Tasks Menu" in Windows 8 and 8.1 This will show you how to add and remove shortcuts and groups to the Power User Tasks Menu using the easy to use Win + X Editor program for only your user account in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1. Thank...
Hi there. I decided to upgrade a few days ago to Windows 8 as I decided 25 wasn't much of a loss if I didn't like it. I wasn't too sure what to expect but I'm mostly presently surprised. The main big change that originally annoyed me when I first saw the early versions of Windows 8 was the...
Here's an MSDN link that might be useful: Windows 8 Consumer Preview Power User How To Series - Dr. Z's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook