Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


$200 Notebooks on the way

  1. #1


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin

    $200 Notebooks on the way


    Intel CEO Paul Otellini recently said that touchscreen PCs could start selling for as little as $200 sometime in the next few months, though it's tough to imagine a Windows 8-based machine carrying such a low price tag.

    $200-300 is going to be hot. Where have I said that before, Cokie?

    Ubuntu Unity would be good for that kind of thing. Get in there Mark.


    Intel Atom-based Android Notebooks to Cost $200 | Maximum PC

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 154
    Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit


    Bleh, I wonder if one could throw Ubuntu on it (Like with the Chromebook). But a $200 notebook is very alluring.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Yes, I am sure you could.

    They are going to be pretty cheapo quality at 200, but another 50 bucks will probably mean something surprisingly decent.

    Ubuntu would be great for that. Much more efficient that windows, and if you like the idea of one ui for all - then Ubuntu Unity is vastly better than 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Sounds like that's what you pay for the Cracker Jack box and the lappies are the prize in it. The caramel corn and peanuts were of good quality, but the prizes were not. I mean, come on! $200 lappies?!! Pads mayby, but lappies?!! That's less than most smart phones. "Cheapo quality" is correct. Buy one once a year. And, no, $50 more isn't going to be much better so far as hardware.

    I couldn't help but think that the author is misleading in the article. I can see he's pro Android not only through his words, but also one may "Follow Paul on Google+, Twitter, and Facebook". Google+? We don't see that very often. Dead giveaway.

    Intel CEO Paul Otellini recently said that touchscreen PCs could start selling for as little as $200 sometime in the next few months, though it's tough to imagine a Windows 8-based machine carrying such a low price tag. That's because they probably won't. Instead of Windows 8, most of these affordable PCs will be laptop machines built around Google's open source Android platform.
    "Probably won't" is pure speculation and a statement to justify the means to one's own opinion. No fact behind it whatsoever.

    That information comes straight from Dadi Perlmutter, Intel executive vice president and chief product officer, who told CNET that the $200 Android laptops will run mobile Atom hardware inside. The question is, will Microsoft try to compete with Android in the $200 space?
    Now we're playing telephone here. Why doesn't he quote CEO Paul Otellini instead of getting it second hand from Dadi Perlmutter? Oh, I see. He got the info which is linked in the article via "told CNET" (Android notebooks? Yep, Intel says, and they'll only cost $200 | Business Tech - CNET News) Notice the prices in the subtitle there. What's that all about? Now we've got she said/he said thing going on here.

    "We have a good technology that enables a very cost-effective price point," Perlmutter told CNET, adding that whether or not Windows 8 PCs will go that low ultimately "depends on how Microsoft prices Windows 8." Perlmutter's hunch is that they'll be slightly higher.
    "Slighly higher". Say that $50 more? At least then one will have a quality OS. Unfortunately I doubt if MS would even want to get involved with this "Cracker Jack" junk.

    I stand corrected. I had a look at the ole Cracker Jack. No boxes anymore. It's in bags now and no prize?!! What's this world coming to?!! Oh yeah...$200 Android "cheapo" lappies. Just what everyone needs.

    Attachment 20985

    Cracker Jack all the same, though.
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 27 Apr 2013 at 13:05.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Well, thats almost a technological pornography for homeless people who doesnt have any money. Just look at the components - directly from hell - intel atom + android + touchscreen, low price and components says that quality and performance will be shitty You better go buy some food... And if you really need a pc for low price, you can buy with that amount of money a decent used laptop from other people, that will not make you cry 24/7, and that will have core i3, few gigs of ram, a real usable os - windows(xp/7), and you are lucky, it will have not only intel integrated graphics, but geforce or radeon graphics card too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 154
    Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by startas View Post
    Well, thats almost a technological pornography for homeless people who doesnt have any money. Just look at the components - directly from hell - intel atom + android + touchscreen, low price and components says that quality and performance will be shitty You better go buy some food... And if you really need a pc for low price, you can buy with that amount of money a decent used laptop from other people, that will not make you cry 24/7, and that will have core i3, few gigs of ram, a real usable os - windows(xp/7), and you are lucky, it will have not only intel integrated graphics, but geforce or radeon graphics card too.
    What...? Some people don't need a gaming laptop for simple things. Maybe someone wants a cheap $200 notebook (take note) for college where money is not in abundance. You must realize that not everyone wants or can afford a $2000 laptop to type a college paper. Also, low prices don't always mean bad performance.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Sounds like that's what you pay for the Cracker Jack box and the lappies are the prize in it. The caramel corn and peanuts were of good quality, but the prizes were not. I mean, come on! $200 lappies?!! Pads mayby, but lappies?!! That's less than most smart phones. "Cheapo quality" is correct. Buy one once a year. And, no, $50 more isn't going to be much better so far as hardware.

    I couldn't help but think that the author is misleading in the article. I can see he's pro Android not only through his words, but also one may "Follow Paul on Google+, Twitter, and Facebook". Google+? We don't see that very often. Dead giveaway.

    Intel CEO Paul Otellini recently said that touchscreen PCs could start selling for as little as $200 sometime in the next few months, though it's tough to imagine a Windows 8-based machine carrying such a low price tag. That's because they probably won't. Instead of Windows 8, most of these affordable PCs will be laptop machines built around Google's open source Android platform.
    "Probably won't" is pure speculation and a statement to justify the means to one's own opinion. No fact behind it whatsoever.

    That information comes straight from Dadi Perlmutter, Intel executive vice president and chief product officer, who told CNET that the $200 Android laptops will run mobile Atom hardware inside. The question is, will Microsoft try to compete with Android in the $200 space?
    Now we're playing telephone here. Why doesn't he quote CEO Paul Otellini instead of getting it second hand from Dadi Perlmutter? Oh, I see. He got the info which is linked in the article via "told CNET" (Android notebooks? Yep, Intel says, and they'll only cost $200 | Business Tech - CNET News) Notice the prices in the subtitle there. What's that all about? Now we've got she said/he said thing going on here.

    "We have a good technology that enables a very cost-effective price point," Perlmutter told CNET, adding that whether or not Windows 8 PCs will go that low ultimately "depends on how Microsoft prices Windows 8." Perlmutter's hunch is that they'll be slightly higher.
    "Slighly higher". Say that $50 more? At least then one will have a quality OS. Unfortunately I doubt if MS would even want to get involved with this "Cracker Jack" junk.

    I stand corrected. I had a look at the ole Cracker Jack. No boxes anymore. It's in bags now and no prize?!! What's this world coming to?!! Oh yeah...$200 Android "cheapo" lappies. Just what everyone needs.

    Attachment 20985

    Cracker Jack all the same, though.
    Read the label. It says Prize Inside. I got use to posters on here slamming Windows 8, but when you attack Cracker Jacks you have crossed the line. My favorite treat when I was a kid.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Read the label. It says Prize Inside. I got use to posters on here slamming Windows 8, but when you attack Cracker Jacks you have crossed the line. My favorite treat when I was a kid.

    Jim
    My sincere apology to you, Sir. Yes, I should have investigated further for sure!

    I'm so glad there continues to be a prize. I mean, what would Cracker Jack be without them?!! I haven't had these tasty morsels in years. Have the prizes gotten better? Are there Android notebooks (took note/stand corrected) in there?
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 27 Apr 2013 at 20:19.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 154
    Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit


    Actually, when I think about it, a grocery store (near where I live) sells those Cracker Jacks in boxes of three with "prizes" inside.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    There is a limit to how cheap production computers can be. The OS is irrelevant. A lot depends on where they are made. In the US, if a Union was involved, forget it. A lot depends on internal storage. Phone memory is different than a solid state drive. Given the current prices of ssds, any notebook price would reflect the amount of internal storage.

    There is an ad for a chromebook. $249, it only has a 16 gb internal ssd, the rest is in the cloud?
    Last edited by mdmd; 27 Apr 2013 at 21:50.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
$200 Notebooks on the way
Related Threads
Read more at: New Gorilla Glass protects touch-screen notebooks | Business Tech - CNET News
Read more at source: Touchscreens to be on a quarter of all notebooks by 2016: IHS | ZDNet
Short Battery Life Sinks First Windows 8 Notebooks Confusing dual-mode operating system, no Start button, counterintuitive swipe gestures? None of these things spells doom for Windows 8. What will kill Microsoft's newest operating system is the abysmal battery life of the systems on which it's...
As if everyone didn't already know.. the answer to that one that is! more
Read more at: Maximum PC | Report: ARM-based Windows 8 Notebooks to Arrive in mid-2013
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook