Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5%

  1. #31


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I'm curious as to what motive you have to quote mining me. The part where I said windows 8 was great and the best also included a part where I specifically said it was my opinion. The subsequent details in later posts were just sharing my experiences in other devices.
    I know. And I am commenting on that opinion.
    Windows 8 tablet is great as it is. Not because of apps or anything you put in it. Apps are optional. You can live without them. The more important aspect of any tablet is the interface, speed and tasks it can handle on its own.
    But you are getting everyone confused with the start menu issue. It is great with the tablet. The start menu issue is on Win 8 desktops. Not on tablets.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post

    Hi there

    What Android devices miss is the ability to run a Virtual machine -- then you could run your favourite Windows apps in an Office too.

    (Might be a bit extreme running a Virtual machine on a smart phone - although connected to a decent keyboard and monitor it could work -- the new Samsung S4 has an 8 way processor more than enough CPU power to do the job decently !!).

    Samsung S4 here offers Exynos 5 Octa eight-core processor !!!!!!!. I have to ask though why on earth do you need that much OOMPH in a PHONE. though. You aren't I hope running NASA's Mars Rover missions with two thumbs on a greasy screen on your phone out in the middle of a busy street. !!

    Since Android is essentially a version of Linux it shouldn't be a major problem to possibly re-compile the VMware workstation or player Linux package to run. Then once in your Virtual Windows machine you just logon to the company VPN or LAN -- JOB DONE.

    Any aspiring developers out there -- contact VMWARE or ORACLE (VBOX) and see if they can pay you to get Virtual Machines to work on Android devices -- some of the more powerful tablets easily have enough CPU "OOMPH" in them to run a virtual machine especially if it was just running a simple app like connections to a company LAN or VPN -- and you'd make a BOODLE OF DOSH.

    I've also worked at some sites where people have used Macbooks with something I think was called either "Bootcamp" or "Parallels" -- I'm not a Mac user so I don't know exactly what software these guys were using - but it ran Windows perfectly as a Virtual machine.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I hear you there.

    Manufacturers like to add more and more powerful processors in their android tablets. But in the end, it's still an android tablet.

    Something as simple as ctrl+b, ctrl+u, ctrl+c, etc. don't work at all.

    There's a company called onskreen that came out with a mod to the android framework to make android tablet a true multitasking device by splitting the screen. Very similar to what w8 has but it gives the little app a little more space. The cyanogenmod team started discussing about how they could incorporate this mod into their builds. There was a lot of people enthusiastic about it, including myself. There were a couple beta builds (I tested them and they worked pretty darn well) before google came out with a statement saying they will ban cmod from the playstore if they continued. And cornerstone (the modification) died.

    My point is I do see android as having the potential to be more than just a phone or gaming platform. I tried using it for a year with my report writing and such. But in the end, I've given up on it. The android team just isn't interested in adding very simple but necessary features like ctrl+b.

    This is why I've been thanking the gods for w8.

    Ever since my desktop was stolen from me, I've been plugging in my hybrid w8 machine into the big monitor and use a usb keyboard and mouse to work at home. When I'm outside, I bring my hybrid with me. The battery lasts literally all day long. I haven't seen the need to buy another desktop. So far, this thing works fine for me. It even makes a great bathroom browser LOL.

    Anyway, enough of my rambling.

    I'm excited because my w8 machine is coming back today.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

    Ever since my desktop was stolen from me, I've been plugging in my hybrid w8 machine into the big monitor and use a usb keyboard and mouse to work at home. When I'm outside, I bring my hybrid with me.
    How do you manage your files? NAS? I don't wanna think you have your files kept in your hybrid thingy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

    Ever since my desktop was stolen from me, I've been plugging in my hybrid w8 machine into the big monitor and use a usb keyboard and mouse to work at home. When I'm outside, I bring my hybrid with me.
    How do you manage your files? NAS? I don't wanna think you have your files kept in your hybrid thingy.
    Dropbox.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Windows tablets aren't dead -- they
    hit a surprisingly high 7.5% market share in the first quarter of 2013. A 7.5% market share might not seem like much, but consider the woes that Windows tablets have been living through, that's encouraging news for Microsoft. It may mean that despite all the bad news, bad press, and bad planning, there's a real future for the devices.
    Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5% | Computerworld Blogs

    A rare find some good news on Windows 8.

    Well, that's some good news then. I think the more people try Windows 8, they find they can use it for their old programs so they are more apt to buy a new tablet. Do tablets run only Metro or do they also run regular applications?
    If you're looking for both metro and Desktop apps, x86 based tablets are the way to go.

    If you're looking for basic internet consumption/secondary PC for the go, Windows RT is a better suit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

    Ever since my desktop was stolen from me, I've been plugging in my hybrid w8 machine into the big monitor and use a usb keyboard and mouse to work at home. When I'm outside, I bring my hybrid with me. The battery lasts literally all day long. I haven't seen the need to buy another desktop. So far, this thing works fine for me. It even makes a great bathroom browser LOL.

    Anyway, enough of my rambling.

    I'm excited because my w8 machine is coming back today.

    Hello good intentions! I remember you from the Transformers Forums, and am pleasantly surprised to see you over here.

    Just what w8 hybrid machine do you have with all day battery life? Inquiring minds want to know...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Quote Originally Posted by skallal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

    Ever since my desktop was stolen from me, I've been plugging in my hybrid w8 machine into the big monitor and use a usb keyboard and mouse to work at home. When I'm outside, I bring my hybrid with me. The battery lasts literally all day long. I haven't seen the need to buy another desktop. So far, this thing works fine for me. It even makes a great bathroom browser LOL.

    Anyway, enough of my rambling.

    I'm excited because my w8 machine is coming back today.

    Hello good intentions! I remember you from the Transformers Forums, and am pleasantly surprised to see you over here.

    Just what w8 hybrid machine do you have with all day battery life? Inquiring minds want to know...
    HP envy x2.

    I know it uses an atom processor. I don't play those 3D games. I use it mostly for documentation, pdf, coding, compilation, and communication. Most online reviews have been harsh on this thing because its not an i7 core. For my purposes it works great. I even play starcraft on it. If you work a lot with PhotoShop or autocad, don't get this. Strangely enough, compiling programs works fine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

    HP envy x2.

    I know it uses an atom processor. I don't play those 3D games. I use it mostly for documentation, pdf, coding, compilation, and communication. Most online reviews have been harsh on this thing because its not an i7 core. For my purposes it works great. I even play starcraft on it. If you work a lot with PhotoShop or autocad, don't get this. Strangely enough, compiling programs works fine.
    I have the Sony VAIO Duo 11 with an i7 8 GB ram & 256 GBP ssd. And with an extra battery slice, I'd say it approaches 8 hours on a charge. But it is too big and heavy for a tablet, and too small for a good notebook. And the slider keyboard is cramped. It works best as a very fast desktop when hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

    I read a review on the Envy, and it seems like the best of the Clover Trail bunch, with the highest performance and battery life. Almost makes me want one, lol!

    What kind of compiling are you doing? In my case, I use Visual Studio 2012, which is probably up there with PhotoShop and Autocad in terms of hardware requirements. So the Clover Trail machines are likely out for me unless I relegate it to glorified mobile device, which certainly has its place.

    Mickey Little from the Transformer Forums has dumped his Android devices and now has a Samsung Ativ 500T, which he really likes. It is a direct competitor to your Envy. I find it interesting that two high end Transformer users have defected to Windows 8 Clover Trail tablets. Windows 8 might have a bright future after all...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Quote Originally Posted by skallal View Post
    N
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

    HP envy x2.

    I know it uses an atom processor. I don't play those 3D games. I use it mostly for documentation, pdf, coding, compilation, and communication. Most online reviews have been harsh on this thing because its not an i7 core. For my purposes it works great. I even play starcraft on it. If you work a lot with PhotoShop or autocad, don't get this. Strangely enough, compiling programs works fine.
    I have the Sony VAIO Duo 11 with an i7 8 GB ram & 256 GBP ssd. And with an extra battery slice, I'd say it approaches 8 hours on a charge. But it is too big and heavy for a tablet, and too small for a good notebook. And the slider keyboard is cramped. It works best as a very fast desktop when hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

    I read a review on the Envy, and it seems the best of the Clover Trail bunch, with the highest performance and battery life. Almost makes me want one, lol!

    What kind of compiling are you doing? In my case, I use Visual Studio 2012, which is probably up there with PhotoShop and Autocad in terms of hardware requirements. So the Clover Trail machines are likely out for me unless I relegate it to glorified mobile device, which certainly has its place.

    Mickey Little from the Transformer Forums has dumped his Android devices and now has a Samsung Ativ 500T, which he really likes. It is a direct competitor to your Envy. I find it interesting that two high end Transformer users have defected to Windows 8 Clover Trail tablets. Windows 8 might have a bright future after all...
    After trying out 4 different w8 hybrids, I sold the other ones and kept this one. At the time, I only meant to use my envy x2 on the go. Who would have thunk there was a burglar eyeing my place. They went straight into my home office and took my desktop and a few other electronic items in that room. Insurance cleared it, so it was fine. I was going to get another desktop, but kept procrastinating. Then one day I really wanted to play starcraft. So, I took out an old big monitor from the basement and hooked up a mouse and keyboard. And voila, I got a working desktop environment. Surprisingly, starcraft ran great on this thing. That was a few months ago, and I'm still using this setup at home LOL.

    For now, I've got no incentive to get something else, because this thing has worked for me in every situation. And on this thing, for now I use 2012 express. I'd imagine it's just as demanding as the full version. Compilation is a little on the slow side, but I use it as an excuse to get up and get some snacks and drink.

    So, until I start needing to use something a lot more demanding, there's really no incentive for me to go out and get another i7 desktop.

    I sold my tf700 months ago. I still keep a tf101 around even though I don't use it very often.

    Why did I defect? Because there is just no comparison between w8 and android. People have a desktop for work, laptop to take around for work, and an android tablet to play games and surf the net. I'm different. I like to have one device that does all or most of that. Situation in my life has forced me to truly use my x2 for everything.

    What really annoys me about android is something as simple as ctrl+b, ctrl+c, ctrl+u, etc. still don't work. The android team and android developers add a lot of gaming features to their apps and system tools, but they for some reason they are religiously against adding simple short keys like ctrl+b for document editing? I waited for 3 years for them to add those simple commands.

    What's worse, android developers are absolutely the worst at responding to you. It's like they are up there high and mighty and don't care what happens to us lowly mortals. I bought thinkfree office for $10. It didn't have word wrap. So, when I type and the word reaches the end of the line the word wo
    uld cut off and go to the next line like that. I emailed the dev company behind thinkfree about it. Got a reply a month later saying they will fix it in the next update. So, I patiently waited. 3 months later, they updated adding all kinds of cool features like sharing directly to dropbox. Still no word wrap. I don't care how many cool features it has, no word wrap means the app was comple
    tely useless. Who's going to us
    e a word proc
    essor that keeps cut
    ing off like that?

    I spammed them with emails regarding this bug and 6 months later I got a reply saying they will fix it in the next update.

    It took them 11 months after my first email to fix this bug. 11 months. 11 months. Think about that. 11 months. 11 months to fix the most obvious bug in a word proc
    essing app.

    And remember the browser hanging? We started noticing this bug 3 years ago. 3 years ago. It's been 3 years since we've been hitting the android team with inquiries about this bug. 3 years. The latest answer we got a few months ago was "we're working on a fix". 3 years. 3 years. 3 years. Think about that. 3 years.

    Frankly, I'm through with android as a work system. Google wants to keep it as strictly a gaming platform, they can go ahead without me. What's the point with sticking with an operating system if the team behind it takes 3 years to response to a bug report? 3 years. 11 months for that system's app developer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skallal View Post
    N
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

    HP envy x2.

    I know it uses an atom processor. I don't play those 3D games. I use it mostly for documentation, pdf, coding, compilation, and communication. Most online reviews have been harsh on this thing because its not an i7 core. For my purposes it works great. I even play starcraft on it. If you work a lot with PhotoShop or autocad, don't get this. Strangely enough, compiling programs works fine.
    I have the Sony VAIO Duo 11 with an i7 8 GB ram & 256 GBP ssd. And with an extra battery slice, I'd say it approaches 8 hours on a charge. But it is too big and heavy for a tablet, and too small for a good notebook. And the slider keyboard is cramped. It works best as a very fast desktop when hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

    I read a review on the Envy, and it seems the best of the Clover Trail bunch, with the highest performance and battery life. Almost makes me want one, lol!

    What kind of compiling are you doing? In my case, I use Visual Studio 2012, which is probably up there with PhotoShop and Autocad in terms of hardware requirements. So the Clover Trail machines are likely out for me unless I relegate it to glorified mobile device, which certainly has its place.

    Mickey Little from the Transformer Forums has dumped his Android devices and now has a Samsung Ativ 500T, which he really likes. It is a direct competitor to your Envy. I find it interesting that two high end Transformer users have defected to Windows 8 Clover Trail tablets. Windows 8 might have a bright future after all...
    After trying out 4 different w8 hybrids, I sold the other ones and kept this one. At the time, I only meant to use my envy x2 on the go. Who would have thunk there was a burglar eyeing my place. They went straight into my home office and took my desktop and a few other electronic items in that room. Insurance cleared it, so it was fine. I was going to get another desktop, but kept procrastinating. Then one day I really wanted to play starcraft. So, I took out an old big monitor from the basement and hooked up a mouse and keyboard. And voila, I got a working desktop environment. Surprisingly, starcraft ran great on this thing. That was a few months ago, and I'm still using this setup at home LOL.

    For now, I've got no incentive to get something else, because this thing has worked for me in every situation. And on this thing, for now I use 2012 express. I'd imagine it's just as demanding as the full version. Compilation is a little on the slow side, but I use it as an excuse to get up and get some snacks and drink.

    So, until I start needing to use something a lot more demanding, there's really no incentive for me to go out and get another i7 desktop.

    I sold my tf700 months ago. I still keep a tf101 around even though I don't use it very often.

    Why did I defect? Because there is just no comparison between w8 and android. People have a desktop for work, laptop to take around for work, and an android tablet to play games and surf the net. I'm different. I like to have one device that does all or most of that. Situation in my life has forced me to truly use my x2 for everything.

    What really annoys me about android is something as simple as ctrl+b, ctrl+c, ctrl+u, etc. still don't work. The android team and android developers add a lot of gaming features to their apps and system tools, but they for some reason they are religiously against adding simple short keys like ctrl+b for document editing? I waited for 3 years for them to add those simple commands.

    What's worse, android developers are absolutely the worst at responding to you. It's like they are up there high and mighty and don't care what happens to us lowly mortals. I bought thinkfree office for $10. It didn't have word wrap. So, when I type and the word reaches the end of the line the word wo
    uld cut off and go to the next line like that. I emailed the dev company behind thinkfree about it. Got a reply a month later saying they will fix it in the next update. So, I patiently waited. 3 months later, they updated adding all kinds of cool features like sharing directly to dropbox. Still no word wrap. I don't care how many cool features it has, no word wrap means the app was comple
    tely useless. Who's going to us
    e a word proc
    essor that keeps cut
    ing off like that?

    I spammed them with emails regarding this bug and 6 months later I got a reply saying they will fix it in the next update.

    It took them 11 months after my first email to fix this bug. 11 months. 11 months. Think about that. 11 months. 11 months to fix the most obvious bug in a word proc
    essing app.

    And remember the browser hanging? We started noticing this bug 3 years ago. 3 years ago. It's been 3 years since we've been hitting the android team with inquiries about this bug. 3 years. The latest answer we got a few months ago was "we're working on a fix". 3 years. 3 years. 3 years. Think about that. 3 years.

    Frankly, I'm through with android as a work system. Google wants to keep it as strictly a gaming platform, they can go ahead without me. What's the point with sticking with an operating system if the team behind it takes 3 years to response to a bug report? 3 years. 11 months for that system's app developer.
    You should stop comparing android and win 8.... you are right, there is no comparison. Android is not trying to compete with windows OS. Maybe windows is trying to compete with android but it is a complete joke comparing the 2. Just pick the right OS for your purpose. Glad you're happy with your machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5%
Related Threads
http://i57.tinypic.com/negnjb.jpg Source A Guy
XP Market Share Climbs Again in Windows 8 News
Windows XP market share climbs again as customers dig their heels in- The Inquirer "Last month, the 12-year old operating system accounted for 29.53 percent of the market, up 0.23 percent from January. On one hand, it's up only a fraction of a percent, but on the other Microsoft, which has been...
32422 32423 Source: Windows 8's market share declines, but factor in Windows 8.1 and it's up -- but only just
I'm not affiliated with this organization in any way, I just found this interesting... Antivirus Market Analysis: August 2013 | OPSWAT | Software management and security solutions
Five months in: Windows 8′s market share finally surpasses desktop Linux | ExtremeTech
Read more at source: Windows 8 market share jumped in December | ZDNet
5871 Source: Chitika
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook