Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 may make it easier to customize Start scren

  1. #41


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    Ok I give, you totally lost me as to what your point is with this picture.
    Click image for larger version

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    ^^ Because MS is following the foot step of apple because of apple's huge success in universalising the UI. If you haven't noticed, the newest android jellybean upgrade has also universalized the UI across devices. I hate it. I hate the fact that my android tablet looks like a giant phone. I've always hated the fact that my ipad always looked like a giant iphone, and now my android tablet looks like a giant android phone.

    While I agree with you completely, somehow I don't think the majority of people agree with us there. Let's be honest with ourselves, most people are tech illiterate. The success of the iphone, ipod touch, and ipad pretty much proves that most people want the exact same UI across the board. If you go onto android forums, you will find only a few people being annoyed with the new android tablet UI. Everyone else loves the fact that their android tablets now look like giant android phones.
    This isn't something you find with Windows and Windows Phone, similar designed UIs, TOTALLY dissimilar interactions. Windows 8 isn't Windows Phone blown up. Windows Phone is more or less Windows 8 condensed down quite a bit.

    I'm more for a similar UI design across different devices, not ONE UI across different devices. How the Xbox functions isn't like Windows 8, how Windows 8 functions isn't at all like Windows Phone.
    No, but the idea is the same. MS is trying to make the windows experience the same across the board for people. I don't have an xbox, so I don't know how it goes with that. But seeing how google has already give into the one-UI-to-rule-them-all mentality like iOS, it looks like MS is doing the same thing with windows. And I suspect that most people will love this (I hate it btw).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    Ok I give, you totally lost me as to what your point is with this picture.
    Click image for larger version
    So wait, you're explaining yourself to me? I already figured this out about you - what I was questioning was why you used a shortcut laden desktop image in response to me talking about tiles on the Start Screen that you hold so dear.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    ^^ Because MS is following the foot step of apple because of apple's huge success in universalising the UI. If you haven't noticed, the newest android jellybean upgrade has also universalized the UI across devices. I hate it. I hate the fact that my android tablet looks like a giant phone. I've always hated the fact that my ipad always looked like a giant iphone, and now my android tablet looks like a giant android phone.

    While I agree with you completely, somehow I don't think the majority of people agree with us there. Let's be honest with ourselves, most people are tech illiterate. The success of the iphone, ipod touch, and ipad pretty much proves that most people want the exact same UI across the board. If you go onto android forums, you will find only a few people being annoyed with the new android tablet UI. Everyone else loves the fact that their android tablets now look like giant android phones.
    This isn't something you find with Windows and Windows Phone, similar designed UIs, TOTALLY dissimilar interactions. Windows 8 isn't Windows Phone blown up. Windows Phone is more or less Windows 8 condensed down quite a bit.

    I'm more for a similar UI design across different devices, not ONE UI across different devices. How the Xbox functions isn't like Windows 8, how Windows 8 functions isn't at all like Windows Phone.
    No, but the idea is the same. MS is trying to make the windows experience the same across the board for people. I don't have an xbox, so I don't know how it goes with that. But seeing how google has already give into the one-UI-to-rule-them-all mentality like iOS, it looks like MS is doing the same thing with windows. And I suspect that most people will love this (I hate it btw).
    It's similar, but Microsoft is taking a different route than google or apple. Those two are plastering a single OS and UI on two different devices, one of which is held in your hand the other held with two and sometimes with a keyboard as it is much larger in size.

    Click image for larger version
    This is the Xbox 360 Dashboard UI... By the way, the Xbox allows custom background images, something that Windows 8 REALLY should have.
    Click image for larger version
    This of course is the Windows 8....
    Click image for larger version
    And this is the Windows Phone 8.

    Three disparate devices, three disparate interaction methods (Xbox through controller, remote control, or Xbox SmartGlass on a tablet or smartphone; Windows 8 through touch, mouse, speech, and keyboard; Windows Phone through touch and speech) and three similar but different user interfaces to take advantage of that device's intended use and form factor.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    So wait, you're explaining yourself to me? I already figured this out about you - what I was questioning was why you used a shortcut laden desktop image in response to me talking about tiles on the Start Screen that you hold so dear.
    A desktop laden with shortcuts is precisely the same thing as a messed up start screen. That's why I emphasize unpinning. I am not arguing how ineffective the start screen can be or how stupid people are. I am suggesting what to do to make it work.

    The critics of 8 always get personal and attack the opposition with suppositions that are irrelevant. How is this anything about me or my preference or how I work? The naysayers believe that they have a superior point of view. I only make statements based on experience and valued judgements of my own. The illustrations I have given have a specific relationship to the typical use scenarios that many have chosen. The denegration of personalities is not acceptable. Making a reasonable assessment of use patterns is what I have tried to illustrate. Bullies are not welcome. Emotional outbursts are unproductive. How Windows 8 is designed cannot be justified to naysayers. The entirety of its motivations is suspect. The attributes of satisfaction do not exist with naysayers. It is always about negativity and criticism. Even responses to this post will be plagued with belittlement. The naysayers are always seeking to find flaws, always seek to crush what is good or liked by others. From what I have seen as evidence, the naysayers cannot seem to just find easy ways to function, but rather seek to always find the worst. That type of analysis is not in my dna. I like to learn how to function with new tech and I do not complain about the technology. Mostly it is with people, and how they function, that is the problem.

    I don't care about added tiles or an imperfect Operating System. I learn, I grow, I use what is available. I don't care what version of Windows is current, I use what works for me and I will not make inferences about the status of the general public. Stating that the common user is basically incapable of learning to effectively make use of the Operating System is blatantly outrageous. Suggesting that Microsoft has to make everything in the eyes of the beholder perfect beyond reproach, is ridiculous. Stating that Microsoft owes you a start menu is comical. That is a joke. You paid $50 bucks or maybe $15 for Windows 8. How much loyalty is that worth?

    I am fairly certain that there will be readers of this that will be unable to comprehend the meaning or content, but rather respond with vulgarity or retribution.

    Windows 8 will be upgraded. I look forward to Windows 9.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 123
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE


    And yet your comments and condescending pictures were insulting to those who don't agree with you...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by turbofish View Post
    And yet your comments and condescending pictures were insulting to those who don't agree with you...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I am fairly certain that there will be readers of this that will be unable to comprehend the meaning or content, but rather respond with vulgarity or retribution.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    So wait, you're explaining yourself to me? I already figured this out about you - what I was questioning was why you used a shortcut laden desktop image in response to me talking about tiles on the Start Screen that you hold so dear.
    A desktop laden with shortcuts is precisely the same thing as a messed up start screen. That's why I emphasize unpinning. I am not arguing how ineffective the start screen can be or how stupid people are. I am suggesting what to do to make it work.

    The critics of 8 always get personal and attack the opposition with suppositions that are irrelevant. How is this anything about me or my preference or how I work? The naysayers believe that they have a superior point of view. I only make statements based on experience and valued judgements of my own. The illustrations I have given have a specific relationship to the typical use scenarios that many have chosen. The denegration of personalities is not acceptable. Making a reasonable assessment of use patterns is what I have tried to illustrate. Bullies are not welcome. Emotional outbursts are unproductive. How Windows 8 is designed cannot be justified to naysayers. The entirety of its motivations is suspect. The attributes of satisfaction do not exist with naysayers. It is always about negativity and criticism. Even responses to this post will be plagued with belittlement. The naysayers are always seeking to find flaws, always seek to crush what is good or liked by others. From what I have seen as evidence, the naysayers cannot seem to just find easy ways to function, but rather seek to always find the worst. That type of analysis is not in my dna. I like to learn how to function with new tech and I do not complain about the technology. Mostly it is with people, and how they function, that is the problem.

    I don't care about added tiles or an imperfect Operating System. I learn, I grow, I use what is available. I don't care what version of Windows is current, I use what works for me and I will not make inferences about the status of the general public. Stating that the common user is basically incapable of learning to effectively make use of the Operating System is blatantly outrageous. Suggesting that Microsoft has to make everything in the eyes of the beholder perfect beyond reproach, is ridiculous. Stating that Microsoft owes you a start menu is comical. That is a joke. You paid $50 bucks or maybe $15 for Windows 8. How much loyalty is that worth?

    I am fairly certain that there will be readers of this that will be unable to comprehend the meaning or content, but rather respond with vulgarity or retribution.

    Windows 8 will be upgraded. I look forward to Windows 9.

    Click image for larger version
    The hypocrisy in this post is astounding, after all - you're the one that posted a PEBKAC cartoon right? I did none of the things you're talking about, I merely talked about what they could do to help the flood of icons on the Start Screen. Blasphemy for suggesting a "multi unpin" feature. Those icons are the desktop in that screenshot were not automatically created by the OS - they were created by the user - as opposed to the multitude of ones created by Windows8. So your point in posting it is totally moot.

    If you want to make blanket statements about the general naysayers - then don't quote people. I'm glad that you are satisfied and content with anything you buy no matter what condition it's in - you sir are the perfect customer for a lot of companies that take advantage of that.
    Last edited by symbiont; 24 Apr 2013 at 08:01.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    If you want to talk about imperfect OS's, Windows 95 took about 15 years to fully mature the start menu, Taskbar, and multipane window navigation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    ^^ Because MS is following the foot step of apple because of apple's huge success in universalising the UI. If you haven't noticed, the newest android jellybean upgrade has also universalized the UI across devices. I hate it. I hate the fact that my android tablet looks like a giant phone. I've always hated the fact that my ipad always looked like a giant iphone, and now my android tablet looks like a giant android phone.

    While I agree with you completely, somehow I don't think the majority of people agree with us there. Let's be honest with ourselves, most people are tech illiterate. The success of the iphone, ipod touch, and ipad pretty much proves that most people want the exact same UI across the board. If you go onto android forums, you will find only a few people being annoyed with the new android tablet UI. Everyone else loves the fact that their android tablets now look like giant android phones.

    Hi there
    Apple doesn't "Do OS'es for Servers" so the whole server UI thing is something else.

    Besides would you really like to run a huge server Farm using a Mobile Phone UI.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Windows 8.1 may make it easier to customize Start scren
Related Threads
Hi Everyone, I am interested in upgrading many computers to Windows 8.1 (from Windows 8). Ideally I would like to create an upgrade DVD, which is 'self running' and contains the required update files - Download Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355) from Official Microsoft Download...
When I right-click on something on the Start Screen, the customize menu doesn't appear. One day it just stopped appearing, and I don't know why. It's the same if I want to pin something to it from the page with All Apps. I've uploaded a screenshot where I right-clicked on the "Food & Drink" app....
Source: Skype for Modern Windows 2.8: Getting Easier to Use ? - Skype Blogs
Me want to say this without dictating your answer. I want to be fair to get clear picture. No skew your view before answer, so poll created in simple terms and no steering you. You vote is no show to public. I set that way.
i m unable to change my windows 8 appearance as this menu is disable in my windows can anyone please help me as i m new to windows 8 ?
Hello everyone, I just found this super small program that puts the Start Orb on the task bar. All my testing it seems very well programmed. It is free too! I really miss the Start Orb in Windows 8 and this gives me the best of both worlds. www.classicstart8.com Enjoy -WS
I find the screen corners fiddly to use. When I touch the very top left corner I get a preview Window of what I believe is being called the App/Task Switcher. My mind automatically keeps making me move the mouse into the center of the preview to click it, by which time it's disappeared. Is there...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook