Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 may make it easier to customize Start scren

  1. #31


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I don't agree. Android has been putting an icon on the homescreen of their android devices for years, and users don't seem to mind. Just long press and remove.
    One icon, for one program or app that you've installed is fine - how someone can be so obtuse as to see the difference between adding one shortcut and adding 7 - I just don't get. Read what they're saying - they're talking about large applications that might put 5,6,7 tiles on the Start Screen - of which you'd only use 1 or 2 of them to launch what you need to use that program. So the user then has to manually "unpin" each item they don't want there.

    Every program installer that I've used in recent years gives me an option to "add a desktop icon". Wouldn't be that hard to update it for adding or not adding tiles. Or heck, when the "desktop is dead!!11!!" they can just replace one with another.

    Or at the very least, why can't we CTRL+click multiple tiles and unpin a group at once? Although, still redundant (but this is MS we're talking about).

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by turbofish View Post

    Now, would this be any different if this were a start menu?
    Easy. Sub folders. By using the same tree structure that Microsoft has for 30 years
    Now would the sub folders be easy to access with touch? And are they even used enough as they once were 30 years ago? Would the newer ways and newer UI features justify keeping that?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I have no idea what's happening here...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 123
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE


    Kind of silly isn't it. You are questioning if subfolders would be easy to access via touch and yet both android and IOS have folders. Besides, I can care less about touch on laptop/desktop /server. Touch is great on tablets and phones. Not so much on anything else. What I really can't figure out is why they put the same touch centric UI on a server. They have taken this one UI on all devices way too far
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    ^^ Because MS is following the foot step of apple because of apple's huge success in universalising the UI. If you haven't noticed, the newest android jellybean upgrade has also universalized the UI across devices. I hate it. I hate the fact that my android tablet looks like a giant phone. I've always hated the fact that my ipad always looked like a giant iphone, and now my android tablet looks like a giant android phone.

    While I agree with you completely, somehow I don't think the majority of people agree with us there. Let's be honest with ourselves, most people are tech illiterate. The success of the iphone, ipod touch, and ipad pretty much proves that most people want the exact same UI across the board. If you go onto android forums, you will find only a few people being annoyed with the new android tablet UI. Everyone else loves the fact that their android tablets now look like giant android phones.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by turbofish View Post
    Kind of silly isn't it. You are questioning if subfolders would be easy to access via touch and yet both android and IOS have folders. Besides, I can care less about touch on laptop/desktop /server. Touch is great on tablets and phones. Not so much on anything else. What I really can't figure out is why they put the same touch centric UI on a server. They have taken this one UI on all devices way too far
    They can be accessed, yes. If you design them a certain way. ios has app groups, where you touch something the size of a regular icon and it shows the folder group. But in Windows, that icon size is about six pixels or some such in a details view, not at all ideal to touch. And touch not being ideal on the desktop is PURELY 100 percent subjective. I find it greater on a desktop than using a mouse. That's me, not you. Subjective.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    ^^ Because MS is following the foot step of apple because of apple's huge success in universalising the UI. If you haven't noticed, the newest android jellybean upgrade has also universalized the UI across devices. I hate it. I hate the fact that my android tablet looks like a giant phone. I've always hated the fact that my ipad always looked like a giant iphone, and now my android tablet looks like a giant android phone.

    While I agree with you completely, somehow I don't think the majority of people agree with us there. Let's be honest with ourselves, most people are tech illiterate. The success of the iphone, ipod touch, and ipad pretty much proves that most people want the exact same UI across the board. If you go onto android forums, you will find only a few people being annoyed with the new android tablet UI. Everyone else loves the fact that their android tablets now look like giant android phones.
    This isn't something you find with Windows and Windows Phone, similar designed UIs, TOTALLY dissimilar interactions. Windows 8 isn't Windows Phone blown up. Windows Phone is more or less Windows 8 condensed down quite a bit.

    I'm more for a similar UI design across different devices, not ONE UI across different devices. How the Xbox functions isn't like Windows 8, how Windows 8 functions isn't at all like Windows Phone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    One icon, for one program or app that you've installed is fine - how someone can be so obtuse as to see the difference between adding one shortcut and adding 7 - I just don't get. Read what they're saying - they're talking about large applications that might put 5,6,7 tiles on the Start Screen - of which you'd only use 1 or 2 of them to launch what you need to use that program. So the user then has to manually "unpin" each item they don't want there.

    Every program installer that I've used in recent years gives me an option to "add a desktop icon". Wouldn't be that hard to update it for adding or not adding tiles. Or heck, when the "desktop is dead!!11!!" they can just replace one with another.
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
    One icon, for one program or app that you've installed is fine - how someone can be so obtuse as to see the difference between adding one shortcut and adding 7 - I just don't get. Read what they're saying - they're talking about large applications that might put 5,6,7 tiles on the Start Screen - of which you'd only use 1 or 2 of them to launch what you need to use that program. So the user then has to manually "unpin" each item they don't want there.

    Every program installer that I've used in recent years gives me an option to "add a desktop icon". Wouldn't be that hard to update it for adding or not adding tiles. Or heck, when the "desktop is dead!!11!!" they can just replace one with another.
    Click image for larger version
    Ok I give, you totally lost me as to what your point is with this picture.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Windows 8.1 may make it easier to customize Start scren
Related Threads
Hi Everyone, I am interested in upgrading many computers to Windows 8.1 (from Windows 8). Ideally I would like to create an upgrade DVD, which is 'self running' and contains the required update files - Download Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355) from Official Microsoft Download...
When I right-click on something on the Start Screen, the customize menu doesn't appear. One day it just stopped appearing, and I don't know why. It's the same if I want to pin something to it from the page with All Apps. I've uploaded a screenshot where I right-clicked on the "Food & Drink" app....
Source: Skype for Modern Windows 2.8: Getting Easier to Use ? - Skype Blogs
Me want to say this without dictating your answer. I want to be fair to get clear picture. No skew your view before answer, so poll created in simple terms and no steering you. You vote is no show to public. I set that way.
i m unable to change my windows 8 appearance as this menu is disable in my windows can anyone please help me as i m new to windows 8 ?
Hello everyone, I just found this super small program that puts the Start Orb on the task bar. All my testing it seems very well programmed. It is free too! I really miss the Start Orb in Windows 8 and this gives me the best of both worlds. www.classicstart8.com Enjoy -WS
I find the screen corners fiddly to use. When I touch the very top left corner I get a preview Window of what I believe is being called the App/Task Switcher. My mind automatically keeps making me move the mouse into the center of the preview to click it, by which time it's disappeared. Is there...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook