Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu

  1. #71


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Hey, Mustang! Sorry for the delay...

    No, the icons on the taskbar aren't pinned. The 3 to the immediate right of the 'Start' button are the first 3 items in the Quick-Launch toolbar (I can hide them by moving Quick-Launch to the far left of the taskbar), the rest are programs which were running, but which I'd minimised for the purpose of grabbing the screen-dump. Sorry, I should have made that clear earlier.

    Both of these 'menus' are built-in to both 8 and 8.1, but aren't that easy to find. Jimbo's got a tutorial somewhere, and I've posted how to do it somewhere, but I can't find the page.

    Soooo.....

    To get the built-in Start menu: Unlock the taskbar, then right click it. Select Toolbars>New Toolbar. Then drill down through Program Data>Microsoft>Windows>Start Menu. Highlight but do not open the Start Menu folder. Click on OK, move the launcher icon to your desired spot on the taskbar, then re-lock the taskbar.

    Voila! A 'classic-style' start menu... without any 3rd-party additions.

    To enable the Quick-Launch toolbar: Follow the same procedure, but drill down through Users>Username> Appdata>Roaming>Microsoft>Internet Explorer. Highlight but do not open the Quick-Lainch folder. Click OK, then configure Quick-Launch on the taskbar, Re-lock the taskbar.

    Done!

    Hope that may be of help someone..



    Wenda.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    For those who haven't seen this: Designing search for the Start screen

    MS's data shows that less and less we're using the Start Menu as time went on. When users filled up there Taskbar (Quicklaunch) they started plastering shortcuts on the desktop. Not saying all did this, but most. I've seen many a desktop done this way, including mine. Why? I think it to be that cascading menus take too long to navigate through. It seems shortcuts were faster and/or more convenient.
    Yes but Microsoft also say (in an earlier one in the same series of blog posts).
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    The message is clear that the majority of people want most of their apps on the taskbar rather than having to dig into Start.
    So why isn't the taskbar visible (or at least accessible through some gesture) all through Windows 8, instead of just on the Desktop? Microsoft seem happy to ignore their own research when it suits them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    For those who haven't seen this: Designing search for the Start screen

    MS's data shows that less and less we're using the Start Menu as time went on. When users filled up there Taskbar (Quicklaunch) they started plastering shortcuts on the desktop. Not saying all did this, but most. I've seen many a desktop done this way, including mine. Why? I think it to be that cascading menus take too long to navigate through. It seems shortcuts were faster and/or more convenient.
    Yes but Microsoft also say (in an earlier one in the same series of blog posts).
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    The message is clear that the majority of people want most of their apps on the taskbar rather than having to dig into Start.
    So why isn't the taskbar visible (or at least accessible through some gesture) all through Windows 8, instead of just on the Desktop? Microsoft seem happy to ignore their own research when it suits them.
    I would like to see the 'billions of telemetry requests per day' info they receive being analyzed independently TBH....would make really interesting reading!

    If anyone is interested..apply here
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    For those who haven't seen this: Designing search for the Start screen

    MS's data shows that less and less we're using the Start Menu as time went on. When users filled up there Taskbar (Quicklaunch) they started plastering shortcuts on the desktop. Not saying all did this, but most. I've seen many a desktop done this way, including mine. Why? I think it to be that cascading menus take too long to navigate through. It seems shortcuts were faster and/or more convenient.
    Yes but Microsoft also say (in an earlier one in the same series of blog posts).
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    The message is clear that the majority of people want most of their apps on the taskbar rather than having to dig into Start.
    So why isn't the taskbar visible (or at least accessible through some gesture) all through Windows 8, instead of just on the Desktop? Microsoft seem happy to ignore their own research when it suits them.
    Good question and statement. I'll try to explain why I think they did it following a few statements. MS is seeking to make profit by creating and selling good products and services. Keep in mind that I think MS's first and foremost goal is to get an OS that performs across multiple devices in conjunction with Windows Phone 8. This, I think, is one better than any of the competition is doing. This is where I think they will eventually win out. All devices syncing no matter which device one uses. Cloud-centricity via an account. That's the market today.

    As to your question; One can only fit so many icons on the taskbar. I realize one could unlock it and size it bigger for more icons, but then that starts to crowd desktop real estate. After that was full and if one did not like to use the Start Menu, one would start placing them on the desktop. I was one that did that. I found it quicker to launch something rather than going through the Start menu. I had them all memorized as to their place. Heck, I even started plastering a lot of my favorites there, for I figured it a waste of time to open a browser to homepage and then look through favorites to find the site I'm looking for when I can do it all with one shortcut/icon. Poof > Done. I have seen many a desktop of users that did the same thing. How about you?

    Keep in mind along the way we got into gadgets. I thought them to be handy little things. Those started to crowd the desktop also. Lol! It got to be quite a mess.

    This is where I think Ms got the idea of one-screen Start Screen. This replaces the messy desktop. One can organize it and title them in columns personal to them. The live tiles replace the gadgets. The one-screen All Apps replaces the Start Menu. IMO we now have the best of both worlds.

    Coinciding with this they needed a human-scaled touch-centric launching platform. That's why the full screens with a new GUI. It would be rather difficult to navigate through a cascading menu with a finger. It needs to be a larger scale. Start Screen, All Apps, Hot Corners, and Charms bars are the new way of navigating in the new GUI. It also works well with keyboard and mouse. No one is forced to use touch.

    I don't think a taskbar would work across all the screens for it's two different kinds of GUIs. It would be like trying to mix oil with water. This is why the desktop is treated as a portal or app. It's no longer the primary means of navigation. Modern/Metro is. Besides, where else would it be useful other than the desktop screen? There are only two other screens of which use tiles. A taskbar would defeat the purpose.

    As others are stating, MS came a long way with 8.1 to try and appease "desktoppers". It can now be configured to boot straight to desktop and bypass the Start Screen to All Apps screen. More options available in "Taskbar and Navigation Properties" as shown below. One does not need to see or use, nor does it seem that MS is "forcing" anyone to use Modern/Metro, although that GUI still remains the primary means for navigation.


    Attachment 25974
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 07 Aug 2013 at 06:29.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    If you install Win8 with Local account it boots to Metro anyway. If and when needed, you could temporally sign into MS account, the app in question will ask you to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    As to your question; One can only fit so many icons on the taskbar. I realize one could unlock it and size it bigger for more icons, but then that starts to crowd desktop real estate. After that was full and if one did not like to use the Start Menu, one would start placing them on the desktop. I was one that did that. I found it quicker to launch something rather than going through the Start menu. I had them all memorized as to their place. Heck, I even started plastering a lot of my favorites there, for I figured it a waste of time to open a browser to homepage and then look through favorites to find the site I'm looking for when I can do it all with one shortcut/icon. Poof > Done. I have seen many a desktop of users that did the same thing. How about you?
    I open Favourites from the Start Menu (on pre-Windows-8 PCs) or in Windows 8 from the Favourites toolbar that I created using this technique applied to the Favourites folder rather than the Start Menu. This means I open them in one click before the browser is even open -sounds similar to what you do?

    [The only problem is that IE10 often loses all the tabs from the previous session when you do this. For some reason Firefox does this so much better, and has been doing so for years.]

    And yes I have seen many people with Desktops that they've filled with just a sea of unsorted icons - it looks horrible!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Interesting PR piece by Stevie S. They could bind that blog up and sell it to Disney.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Interesting PR piece by Stevie S. They could bind that blog up and sell it to Disney.
    Why Disney, they would just make a big flop of it like all the others lately.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Hey, Mustang! Sorry for the delay...

    No, the icons on the taskbar aren't pinned. The 3 to the immediate right of the 'Start' button are the first 3 items in the Quick-Launch toolbar (I can hide them by moving Quick-Launch to the far left of the taskbar), the rest are programs which were running, but which I'd minimised for the purpose of grabbing the screen-dump. Sorry, I should have made that clear earlier.

    Both of these 'menus' are built-in to both 8 and 8.1, but aren't that easy to find. Jimbo's got a tutorial somewhere, and I've posted how to do it somewhere, but I can't find the page.

    Soooo.....

    To get the built-in Start menu: Unlock the taskbar, then right click it. Select Toolbars>New Toolbar. Then drill down through Program Data>Microsoft>Windows>Start Menu. Highlight but do not open the Start Menu folder. Click on OK, move the launcher icon to your desired spot on the taskbar, then re-lock the taskbar.

    Voila! A 'classic-style' start menu... without any 3rd-party additions.

    To enable the Quick-Launch toolbar: Follow the same procedure, but drill down through Users>Username> Appdata>Roaming>Microsoft>Internet Explorer. Highlight but do not open the Quick-Lainch folder. Click OK, then configure Quick-Launch on the taskbar, Re-lock the taskbar.

    Done!

    Hope that may be of help someone..



    Wenda.
    Hi Wenda,

    Thanks for that info. I must have been in la la land when I read your post. When Win8 first came out, and before StartIsBack or any other 3rd party software was around, I had made similar custom tool bars, but had forgotten all about it as have been using StartIsBack ever since W8 became my flagship OS back around January.

    Since McRuff pointed out, and I've confirmed, that StartIsBackPlus is a free upgrade to the original software, and is designed to work on W8.1, I'll personally stick to the legacy Start/Menu.

    However, since I repair/reinstall PCs for various others, it's good to have the options you've shown up my sleeve to be able to help those who don't want to use 3rd party stuff.

    Like you said, W8 is a good system once the bugs are ironed out and it's customized to taste. One small example: It takes 5 seconds to open a Word/Excel doco on W7 from a cold start ... W8 does it almost instantly. Since I do a lot of tax work on spread sheets, and am often opening and shutting multiple files, copying/pasting, etc ... it was a constant ongoing major pain in the butt on W7. Like many things with PCs you adjust, but when a better option appears you grab it with open arms.

    My main problem with W8 is Intel. My flagship mobo is an extreme Intel and even though it's under 2 years old, Intel don't support it for drivers for W8. So I'm running it on generic W8 drivers. It all works ... sorta! With 3 SLI linked graphics cards, if I use the latest NVIDIA drivers specifically for W8, I get periodic but regular hangs all related to graphics. That's my main Grrrrrrrr!!!! With a bit of luck that will get sorted when I install the final version of W8.1.

    Always enjoy your posts. Cheers to' Down Under' from M! Click image for larger version
    Or should that be "cheers for beers"!
    Last edited by Mustang; 08 Aug 2013 at 07:27.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Interesting PR piece by Stevie S. They could bind that blog up and sell it to Disney.
    It's interesting that you distort that which you don't agree with.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu
Related Threads
Windows 8.1 Start Menu button Slow issue in Performance & Maintenance
Good day, Just bought a new laptop (Lenovo Z510, with 8.1 pre-installed). Since the very first day I am having the issue that when I press the "Start Menu" Button, I have to wait about 2 minutes until the menu opens (no exaggeration) . This happens not only the first time after startup, but...
My start menu button completely disappeared from the taskbar. I am using DisplayFusion and Start8 so I am not sure if those could cause this issue. I am able to still access the start menu easily by clicking the windows key but would love to fix this. Due to DisplayFusion I can still see the...
The start button at the lower left corner of my desktop now turns blue when I hover the mouse over it, and, more importantly, when I right click on it the popup menu no longer appears
With all the hub bub about the missing Start Menu in Windows 8, I though I'd pose this simple question? If Windows 8 had the start menu would you be more inclined to accept it? To clarify, if Windows 8 had a Start menu included from factory (no 3rd party apps)
I use it under Classicshell (great program BTW) but any customization program will do. And looks great on the new taskbar
Hi, I'm new to this forums. I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 8 Pro. I get this error message after the first reboot. If someone could help me that would be much appreciated :D Thanks,
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook