Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Do consumers really want touchscreen PCs? (Because I don't

  1. #101


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    I create 3D models for underground structures for the subway system including 3D contour maps. Then I also extract 2D views from 3D to creade 2D drawing documents. I don't think it will work on tablets. Haha.
    You'd be surprised. SolidWorks does that kind of thing pretty seamlessly now. I was impressed. I'm sure it could be done off a Surface Pro, and it'll only get faster with the new Haswell chips :>.
    The software I used is not purely for structural. It's a software being used by all disciplines (piping, mechanical, civil, etc) where we cross reference each others 3D models to check for interference. This way, we know if there is going to be some clashing before the structure is built. Less room for errors on actual construction.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #102


    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post

    Hold on Coke You cannot say that technology will replace everyone's need for a mouse.
    "You don't get rid of the keyboard mind you, just the mouse." That statement just is not true!
    Physical handicaps and medicine could require a mouse.
    I have a Wacom which I can't use because of the hand tremors which are side effects induced by my medication.
    Some days I can't use voice recognition because I cannot speak loud enough.

    Not everyone would be happy buying and using a Wacom type device to replace mouse accessibility left out of Windows OS. Especially when all they know is web surfing, email, shopping and online games. (My Friends)

    Maybe someday you will find your mouse in the 'Windows Ease of Access' folder.
    I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this.

    It looks like you have a physical handicap, which makes your case and other cases like yours exceptions rather than the mainstream.

    For instance, suppose we are discussing about the fact that passenger ships for the purposes of transcontinental travel have pretty much become obsolete due to airplanes. I have no doubt that there are a hand full of those out there who for whatever reason cannot travel by air and therefore must catch boat rides from Europe all the way to Australia. And yet, those are the exceptions and therefore do not negate the fact that overwhelmingly most people nowadays just fly if they want to travel such distances.

    While I don't think the mouse will go away anytime soon, citing a physical handicap does not really negate that statement if someone were to make it. Just like how some people still insist on using the horse as their main form of transportation (the Amish for example) does not negate the fact that horses as a main mean of transportation has become obsolete.
    Dude, no need to emphasize that. Just read between the lines. Be sensitive. Your comment is unnecessary.
    I would hope that he did not take offense at my words. In no way did I intend to sound demeaning or offensive.

    I was merely pointing out that exceptions do not negate general trends.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #103


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    I create 3D models for underground structures for the subway system including 3D contour maps. Then I also extract 2D views from 3D to creade 2D drawing documents. I don't think it will work on tablets. Haha.
    You'd be surprised. SolidWorks does that kind of thing pretty seamlessly now. I was impressed. I'm sure it could be done off a Surface Pro, and it'll only get faster with the new Haswell chips :>.
    The software I used is not purely for structural. It's a software being used by all disciplines (piping, mechanical, civil, etc) where we cross reference each others 3D models to check for interference. This way, we know if there is going to be some clashing before the structure is built. Less room for errors on actual construction.
    SolidWorks does all that. You can actually integrate 3D models and it'll move the pieces in their expected range of motion and what not and it will check interference, clearance, etc. Its gotten to the point where you can actually model up say an engine and actually run it through its motions right in the GUI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #104


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post

    You'd be surprised. SolidWorks does that kind of thing pretty seamlessly now. I was impressed. I'm sure it could be done off a Surface Pro, and it'll only get faster with the new Haswell chips :>.
    The software I used is not purely for structural. It's a software being used by all disciplines (piping, mechanical, civil, etc) where we cross reference each others 3D models to check for interference. This way, we know if there is going to be some clashing before the structure is built. Less room for errors on actual construction.
    SolidWorks does all that. You can actually integrate 3D models and it'll move the pieces in their expected range of motion and what not and it will check interference, clearance, etc. Its gotten to the point where you can actually model up say an engine and actually run it through its motions right in the GUI.
    Well, I guess that's it. Solidworks is probably geared towards engines and machine designs. I haven't heard of any EPC company using Solidworks. The first software I used was PDS Frameworks which does the exact same thing. Hoping to get my hands on Solidworks in the future.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #105


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post

    The software I used is not purely for structural. It's a software being used by all disciplines (piping, mechanical, civil, etc) where we cross reference each others 3D models to check for interference. This way, we know if there is going to be some clashing before the structure is built. Less room for errors on actual construction.
    SolidWorks does all that. You can actually integrate 3D models and it'll move the pieces in their expected range of motion and what not and it will check interference, clearance, etc. Its gotten to the point where you can actually model up say an engine and actually run it through its motions right in the GUI.
    Well, I guess that's it. Solidworks is probably geared towards engines and machine designs. I haven't heard of any EPC company using Solidworks. The first software I used was PDS Frameworks which does the exact same thing. Hoping to get my hands on Solidworks in the future.
    SW can be used pretty much everywhere 3D models are used, and interfaces very well if doing 3D printing. I ran into it dealing with 3D models of components for circuit boards, and got a free run-through as part of the evaluation process. The mileage may very whether a company actually integrates it or not, there are various options and usually a particular CAD tool or setup tends to be very engrained in a particular corporate structure, but they have something like 3 million licenses sold. Its not a small product by any means.

    Any way you go, though, the top flight software is usually top dollar($5-10K a license).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #106


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    @CokeRobot
    Perhaps you really should take Vacation / "Holiday" that very well known Dutch City where you can take every "mind blowing" substance known to man (or even beast).

    I've already pointed out on some of your other posts about the full screen Metro Interface - you obviously haven't EVER had to compare prices from a load of websites so you can get cheap airline tickets, or even have had to do ANYTHING whatsoever on a computer that requires more than simply Googling stuff and copying responses -- in fact do you actually HAVE a computer at all.

    I have to admit though some of the stuff you post would certainly make it into the Sci-Fi's 50 best sellers lists.

    You need to get out there into "The REAL World" as you seem to have not a clue how things are actually done in practice - even if you say you buy the best hardware on the planet.

    @FourthofJuly

    Perhaps we should Hand hold cokie through a REAL world situation and show how stuff is REALLY performed on computers in a lot of work situations -- he obviously has no idea whatsoever.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I've had to do comparing between sites several times already, I have a Microsoft Touch Mouse so it's a quick two finger up gesture, click on the other tab. It would be nice to have two snapped 50/50, but I've never had the notion to do such.

    Also I have to say, I already know how a lot of things are done pertaining to CAD and graphical work. I see the world otherwise as I know the mouse isn't the best tool. You can't design a game graphically with a mouse. Just can't. If you do, get ready for hand cramps and frustration. You can draw up house plans in AutoCAD with a mouse, but many ACTUAL architects still hand draft them as the creation process involves physically holding a pencil and drawing a real line on a piece of paper. A mouse isn't a drawing, never has been. Even in AutoCAD, a mouse with many programmable buttons are just keyboard commands. Personally, I know some CAD veterans that still do key commands over the GUI. That's them. I work differently than YOU do obviously, but how you work you say is the standard of the "real" world works? That's awfully mighty of yourself.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #107


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Simply because there is just no need to have a mouse anymore. Sure you can use the mouse, but you have a bloody expensive optional input. You don't get rid of the keyboard mind you, just the mouse. For tedious tasks such as text selecting, that's why they make stylus'. For fine input on Photoshop, you don't use your bare finger as that would be deranged. Professional digital artists that work with a touch monitor (usually a Wacom one) will ALWAYS use a stylus. I'll cite Halo 4 as a game in which the art was done with touch and stylus.

    When you have the two, the need for the mouse is just not there anymore
    . You can keep it if you want, but that depends on the person. Some see it as an option, some as a primary input.
    Hold on Coke You cannot say that technology will replace everyone's need for a mouse.
    "You don't get rid of the keyboard mind you, just the mouse." That statement just is not true!
    Physical handicaps and medicine could require a mouse.
    I have a Wacom which I can't use because of the hand tremors which are side effects induced by my medication.
    Some days I can't use voice recognition because I cannot speak loud enough.

    Not everyone would be happy buying and using a Wacom type device to replace mouse accessibility left out of Windows OS. Especially when all they know is web surfing, email, shopping and online games. (My Friends)

    Maybe someday you will find your mouse in the 'Windows Ease of Access' folder.
    I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this.

    It looks like you have a physical handicap, which makes your case and other cases like yours exceptions rather than the mainstream.

    For instance, suppose we are discussing about the fact that passenger ships for the purposes of transcontinental travel have pretty much become obsolete due to airplanes. I have no doubt that there are a hand full of those out there who for whatever reason cannot travel by air and therefore must catch boat rides from Europe all the way to Australia. And yet, those are the exceptions and therefore do not negate the fact that overwhelmingly most people nowadays just fly if they want to travel such distances.

    While I don't think the mouse will go away anytime soon, citing a physical handicap does not really negate that statement if someone were to make it. Just like how some people still insist on using the horse as their main form of transportation (the Amish for example) does not negate the fact that horses as a main mean of transportation has become obsolete.
    @goodintentions as far as I could tell I thought you were for keeping the option to use a mouse. Unlike Coke that thinks touch will replace it. Or it must be replaced by Wacom device.
    It's about keeping the mouse option or throwing it away. I
    f I misunderstood his matter-of-fact points, I apologize.

    there is just no need to have a mouse anymore.

    You don't get rid of the keyboard mind you, just the mouse.

    Professional digital artists that work with a touch monitor (usually a Wacom one) will ALWAYS use a stylus.

    When you have the two, the need for the mouse is just not there anymore
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #108


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    @CokeRobot
    Perhaps you really should take Vacation / "Holiday" that very well known Dutch City where you can take every "mind blowing" substance known to man (or even beast).

    I've already pointed out on some of your other posts about the full screen Metro Interface - you obviously haven't EVER had to compare prices from a load of websites so you can get cheap airline tickets, or even have had to do ANYTHING whatsoever on a computer that requires more than simply Googling stuff and copying responses -- in fact do you actually HAVE a computer at all.

    @FourthofJuly
    Perhaps we should Hand hold cokie through a REAL world situation and show how stuff is REALLY performed on computers in a lot of work situations -- he obviously has no idea whatsoever.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I've had to do comparing between sites several times already, I have a Microsoft Touch Mouse so it's a quick two finger up gesture, click on the other tab. It would be nice to have two snapped 50/50, but I've never had the notion to do such.
    I don't know how you can take the abuse (CR). With every denegation, ... is this a joke?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #109


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    @CokeRobot
    Perhaps you really should take Vacation / "Holiday" that very well known Dutch City where you can take every "mind blowing" substance known to man (or even beast).

    I've already pointed out on some of your other posts about the full screen Metro Interface - you obviously haven't EVER had to compare prices from a load of websites so you can get cheap airline tickets, or even have had to do ANYTHING whatsoever on a computer that requires more than simply Googling stuff and copying responses -- in fact do you actually HAVE a computer at all.

    @FourthofJuly
    Perhaps we should Hand hold cokie through a REAL world situation and show how stuff is REALLY performed on computers in a lot of work situations -- he obviously has no idea whatsoever.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I've had to do comparing between sites several times already, I have a Microsoft Touch Mouse so it's a quick two finger up gesture, click on the other tab. It would be nice to have two snapped 50/50, but I've never had the notion to do such.
    I don't know how you can take the abuse (CR). With every denegation, ... is this a joke?
    Because I prefer two full screens of content over two shrunken down ones. If I did need two snapped (I have, don't worry) I go to the Desktop. If not, if it's something simple, I just use the immersive IE 10 as I have for the vast majority of my time on Windows 8 since day one. I have a touch enabled mouse, which makes doing such MUCH quicker than a standard mouse. I'm able to switch around real quick.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #110


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post

    Hold on Coke — You cannot say that technology will replace everyone's need for a mouse.
    "You don't get rid of the keyboard mind you, just the mouse." That statement just is not true!
    Physical handicaps and medicine could require a mouse.
    I have a Wacom which I can't use because of the hand tremors which are side effects induced by my medication.
    Some days I can't use voice recognition because I cannot speak loud enough.

    Not everyone would be happy buying and using a Wacom type device to replace mouse accessibility left out of Windows OS. Especially when all they know is web surfing, email, shopping and online games. (My Friends)

    Maybe someday you will find your mouse in the 'Windows Ease of Access' folder.
    I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this.

    It looks like you have a physical handicap, which makes your case and other cases like yours exceptions rather than the mainstream.

    For instance, suppose we are discussing about the fact that passenger ships for the purposes of transcontinental travel have pretty much become obsolete due to airplanes. I have no doubt that there are a hand full of those out there who for whatever reason cannot travel by air and therefore must catch boat rides from Europe all the way to Australia. And yet, those are the exceptions and therefore do not negate the fact that overwhelmingly most people nowadays just fly if they want to travel such distances.

    While I don't think the mouse will go away anytime soon, citing a physical handicap does not really negate that statement if someone were to make it. Just like how some people still insist on using the horse as their main form of transportation (the Amish for example) does not negate the fact that horses as a main mean of transportation has become obsolete.
    @goodintentions — as far as I could tell I thought you were for keeping the option to use a mouse. Unlike Coke that thinks touch will replace it. Or it must be replaced by Wacom device.
    It's about keeping the mouse option or throwing it away. I
    f I misunderstood his matter-of-fact points, I apologize.

    there is just no need to have a mouse anymore.

    You don't get rid of the keyboard mind you, just the mouse.

    Professional digital artists that work with a touch monitor (usually a Wacom one) will ALWAYS use a stylus.

    When you have the two, the need for the mouse is just not there anymore
    When the bloody hell did I ever say you have to buy a Wacom touch device? Seriously, it's like all you people do is shove words in my mouth and belittle me and others about something that was never said! Good grief...

    What I obviously should be more concise is that touch will replace the mouse, but it can still be used if needed. I'm not going to be fully replacing my mouse when I have a touchscreen because of PC gaming, which since the GUI was made, revolved around the mouse and continues to this day.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Do consumers really want touchscreen PCs? (Because I don't
Related Threads
Now I'm running Win 8.1 OEM Builder. Should I continue to run this version as I'm in violation of Windows license agreement ? Here's the link to the story I got in my Email. Microsoft is Misleading Consumers With Windows 8.1 System Builder Licensing
Read more at: Windows 8.1 consumers: It's time to move to Update 1 | ZDNet See also: https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/32995-windows-8-1-update-windows-8-a.html https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/25343-windows-update-check-install-windows-8-a.html
"Look at Google, for example, which has faced plenty of accusations over privacy concerns in recent years, and is now dealing with numerous investigations over possible anti-competitive behavior. Consider Apple too, which had to deal with the iPhone 4 'Antennagate furor and the embarrassingly poor...
Rest of story here:
Read more at source: Microsoft patent spies on consumers to enforce DRM | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook