Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What a Windows 8 U-turn will mean for the PC

  1. #41


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    .... The MPI takes away functionality that has been with us now for a very long time and not provided any benefits in return.... Those millions have tried the MPI and dislike it and thus choose third party programs to give them back the functionality that they want. It's quite bizarre that those who do not like the MPI are always labelled Luddites or the like.
    I do lots of detail work, spreadsheets, word processing, graphics and pdf field work. My experience is zero reduction in functionality. The benefits are based on preference.
    A free start menu (or 5 bucks) should be of no consequence unless one has to buy 10,000 start menus ...
    Otherwise, the MPI is not unusable... Do you really believe that? Or just annoying... I wouldn't label users of the traditional start menu in that way except as a joke. Just as users of the start screen are reduced to the status of children.
    It is unusable for me, as it is unusable for millions of others. The reasons for that irrelevant, Microsoft has taken away what millions like and want. All because someone relied on dubious statistics.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    ... This is them forcing us to do so, and its not because its that much better, its not because it gives us loads of new functionality (in fact, the new interface is regression technology as it pertains to the desktop, but progression for media consumption), its because they want to push us into The Mobile Interface and a system whereby they get a 30% cut of sales...
    What are you carrying on about with this forcing > forcing > forcing to get sales ?
    Haven't you heard of UNPIN or UNINSTALL?

    Click image for larger version

    Describing the MPI as regression technology ? Really? "As pertains to the desktop" ... You can still plug your buttons, toolbars, icons, shortcuts, dock launchers, and gadgets (these are all new, right?).

    So why hack on the new stuff? You still have your keyboard and mouse. Everyone is not a slave to the desktop.
    Oh, I know, it interferes...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    It is unusable for me, as it is unusable for millions of others. The reasons for that irrelevant, Microsoft has taken away what millions like and want. All because someone relied on dubious statistics.
    It may have been one factor in the decision process, but the other point is valid about app sales. I just don't get this forcing stuff. One can unpin everything and use a free start menu or toolbar. I get it. Millions don't like it. The flip side is millions are using it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    The issue is that you have to use third party programs to get back what was an integral part of Windows. That is what is patently stupid, not that you can't, but that Microsoft has taken away that basic option. What is so difficult to understand?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    The issue is that you have to use third party programs to get back what was an integral part of Windows. That is what is patently stupid, not that you can't, but that Microsoft has taken away that basic option. What is so difficult to understand?
    Obviously, the suits at Microsoft disagree with the point of view that taking away the traditional desktop start menu was patently stupid. I have always thought it was curious that all of a sudden, all these providers, decided in unison that a start menu would be for sale at 5 bucks? A conspiracy? Was this a heads up by Microsoft to the developer culture? All these new products for 5 bucks?

    From reports, they do scoff at the derision. It would seem they believe the MPI is adequate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    ... This is them forcing us to do so, and its not because its that much better, its not because it gives us loads of new functionality (in fact, the new interface is regression technology as it pertains to the desktop, but progression for media consumption), its because they want to push us into The Mobile Interface and a system whereby they get a 30% cut of sales...
    What are you carrying on about with this forcing > forcing > forcing to get sales ?
    By moving people into The Mobile Interface, the apps they want people to buy instead of desktop applications means that Microsoft gets a 30% cut of the sales. On desktop programs, they get nothing. I'm surprised you're ignorant of this.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Describing the MPI as regression technology ? Really? "As pertains to the desktop" ... You can still plug your buttons, toolbars, icons, shortcuts, dock launchers, and gadgets (these are all new, right?).
    Using apps and The Mobile Interface instead of desktop applications is REGRESSION technology in its current form. I mean, it doesn't surprise me at all that you probably don't see a loss in functionality between using apps and desktop applications. Those of us who use our computer to its fullest, do. Its a rare case when I don't have multiple windows open and jockeying information back and forth between them. And no, I do not have to alt-tab or swipe between them like you would have to on The Mobile Interface.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 123
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE


    With all of the talk about how Microsoft aimed windows 8 with a touch screen in mind, how do you explain windows 2012 with the same modern UI/metro? To have that broken interface in a consumer OS is one thing but to put that in a server OS was the worst mistake
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    By moving people into The Mobile Interface, the apps they want people to buy instead of desktop applications means that Microsoft gets a 30% cut of the sales. On desktop programs, they get nothing. I'm surprised you're ignorant of this.
    Don't include me in their planning strategies. As my screenshot demonstrates, one does not need to buy a metro app. A personal reference is not helpful. Microsoft has a right to make a profit. This is not socialism. If their products are inadequate, the suits will make an adjustment to their strategy. The stock holders will have a say and so will the consumer. Microsoft will respond to complaints.
    I am not in the anti cloud camp nor am I in the anti subscription camp.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Using apps and The Mobile Interface instead of desktop applications is REGRESSION technology in its current form.
    That's an opinion that I do not share.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    I mean, it doesn't surprise me at all that you probably don't see a loss in functionality between using apps and desktop applications. Those of us who use our computer to its fullest, do. Its a rare case when I don't have multiple windows open and jockeying information back and forth between them. And no, I do not have to alt-tab or swipe between them like you would have to on The Mobile Interface.
    This is another argument I have heard before. There are some workstation types that think they are superior and what they do is superior. They tout that they are serious producers and that their work ethic is too lofty to be compared to social media types. It's almost desktop snobbery. Like your forum ID states, one can use Windows 7 on the desktop. I disagree with the characterization of the MPI as a jarring experience.
    Last edited by mdmd; 19 Apr 2013 at 21:29. Reason: misspelling by > buy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by turbofish View Post
    With all of the talk about how Microsoft aimed windows 8 with a touch screen in mind, how do you explain windows 2012 with the same modern UI/metro? To have that broken interface in a consumer OS is one thing but to put that in a server OS was the worst mistake
    It is easily explainable. The interface, as you call it, is not broken. That is your point of view. The other is, the metro in Windows Server 2012 is blatantly vacant. It has no appealing colorful tiles or games.
    It is a purely functional UI based on WinRT.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 123
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE


    Actually, it is broken. I have been using it for 18 months and there is still no way of locating some major applications like visual studio by searching for 'visual studio'. Plus, have you tried to use 'metro' in a server? It is very difficult to find the charms unless you are full screen and do you know of anyone using a server where they are actually sitting at a 'real' computer? It's just not done, you access everything remotely
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
What a Windows 8 U-turn will mean for the PC
Related Threads
How to Show or Hide Status Bar in File Explorer in Windows 8 and 8.1 The status bar at the bottom of File Explorer shows you how many items are in an opened folder, how many items are selected, and two icons on the right to select to display items in 31490 details or 31493 large icons view. ...
Hi Guys I'm using Win 8 Pro and following some advice on another thread I went to check my Windows Defender via 'all apps' When I click on it I just get the following message........... "Windows Defender has been turned off and it isn't monitoring your computer" I've tried a few things...
How to Turn On or Off Wi-Fi in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to only turn on or off Wi-Fi connectivity for the PC in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1. This has no affect on cellular mobile broadband or Bluetooth wireless devices like Airplane mode...
cannot turn on windows defender. just get message box saying turned off.
I've spent more than two hours on trying to fix this mess. I did several fixes that did not work at all. It was working last night then I decided to refresh my PC. I installed several programs including drivers, windows updates and Malware Bytes (No Anti-virus installed). Today, I found out...
Hi to all Eight forum. I m here with a strange problem, it happens from yesterday, the problem is when I playing games on my Dell inspiron N4050 and then the main power where the charger pluged in is turn off (it is the most problem in my country that there is heavy short fall of power), the...
On windows 8 I am unable to enable and Windows features. Some appear to install correctly, i.e. Hyper-V, but on restart it is still not installed or checked in "Windows Features". I'd really like to install IIS 8.0, but even "Common HTTP Features" fails with the unhelpful message "Windows...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook